SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenfur427_gw

Where do I stop the wall paint?

jenfur427
14 years ago

The house that we are building has a 45 degree wall "thingy" on one of the walls. Hubby and I would like to paint a nice warm tan color in the living room, but we're unsure where the wall paint color stops. Does it stop where the wall meets the 45 degree section? Or does it stop where the ceiling meets the 45 degree wall? Here is a picture to help explain what I'm talking about. Ignore my husband. :)

Comments (36)

• nutmegxo
    14 years ago

hmmm I am not expert by any means but just looking at this photo I would say to paint the ceiling and the angled wall white and leave the tan for the regular part of the wall. And BTW hubby is CUTE! lol

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would probably paint only the flat part ceiling color to avoid angles in the wall color, since its not symmetrical. I would paint the slant the wall color.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I disagree, I would either paint it all (ceiling included) the wall color or paint the angled part the wall color. I think that it would look funny if the unangled wall directly behind your husband had color all the way up to the flat part of the ceiling, but the adjacent wall color stopped where the angle begins. I hope that makes sense. Maybe someone with photoshop skills will show you how it looks both ways.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Painting the walls and ceiling all the same color would be a really good option to consider. For a couple reasons:

a) it'd be easier
    b) it wouldn't chop up the aesthetic quality and appeal of how the ceiling has been designed. One color all over would do more to highlight and feature that asset than two. JMHO.

• pps7
    14 years ago

I would definately paint the angled part the same color as the wall.

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Duh. I have photoshop. The joys of being married to a graphic designer. I was thinking it should stop where the angle meets the ceiling so it doesn't visually shorten the room. But hubby thinks it should stop where the angle meets the wall. I hadn't considered painting the ceiling. I always thought that the ceiling was supposed to be lighter? But I'm still new to decorating. :) It's my first house.

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And just for another option, here is the room with the ceiling painted.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I'd like to know more about the room to see how the ceiling meets the walls all the way around and how adjacent areas are joined. Is it symmetrically angled on both ends but straight on the other sides, for instance?

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the rest of the room. These photos are of the model home. The only difference in ours (if it matters) is that our fireplace goes all the way up to the ceiling.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I think a seamless envelope, the way they have it. One color. What type of color are you considering? (Sorry it it's written in the OP, I'm in preview now).

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I see, warm tan. Does that mean a medium darkish value?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

With all those angles, I say one color all around.

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not sure I understand the medium darkish value question? forgive my ignorance. I would just rather ask questions and save myself the hassle and money from making mistakes. I've always lived in apartments, so this is my first chance to pick out colors for walls. :) I've linked to the color hubby and I liked the last time we were in HD. I haven't done research on paint brands, but color wise it's the one we like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Behr Cliff Rock

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

I think you could use one envelope of color, as squirrelhaven put it, as long as the color you are using is fairly light and neutral. If you were to choose, say, a bright turquoise I think the envelope concept would be ghastly.

That being said, I vote for the seamless envelope of color.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That would seem to be a pretty dark color to do all the way around, without any trimwork or mouldings to break it up. I would go lighter on the ceiling but not a white or real light color.

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We're not 100% set on paint color. I do agree that the room would look best with the paint all the way around. If that means a lighter color, so be it. :) Would you have recommendations on a paint color that would work that is the same feel as the one we picked?

• kjmama
    14 years ago

We have a vaulted ceiling and painted it the same color as the wall. I have always been so glad we did as it never calls attention to itself, but just feels open. Just another vote for painting it all. ;) Whatever paint color you choose, you could pick the next shade lighter for the ceiling...They sort of end up looking the same. (I'm not a designer though, so just take that as a humble opinion:)
    Pretty house and cute hubby! Congratulations! I like the fireplace going all the way up too.

• loribee
    14 years ago

LOVELY room...will you furnish it like the model home?

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

I had a similar setup in my last home and I painted the room and ceiling all the same color. I don't think you need to go very very light because the room is big. One suggestion that I would make is to wait awhile before you paint and choose your color. It will give you an opportunity to see how lighting plays in the room with the angles, both during the day and at night. Knowing this will make it much easier to settle on a color.

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, I happen to think hubby is cute too, but I'm probably biased. ;)

I'd say our style is more tuscan inspired. We have a dark brown nailhead leather sofa, our coffee/end tables have earthy toned slate tiles in it's top with curved legs. We do plan on having the layout the same though. A sofa, 2 chairs (instead of a loveseat) and an entertainment center for the TV.

The color we picked for the house walls is the darkest tan they offer (which is still pretty light). I might paint the walls and the angle the darker color we like, and see how that feels. I know hubby wasn't too excited about painting the ceiling, but would do it if that's what I wanted.

Here is the granite we picked. We had to pay to upgrade it from the standard choices, but I fell in love with it. It has the colors that we like, which is good since the living room and kitchen are very open and connected. I really like the combination of tans, browns and golds.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I agree with the idea of painting the ceiling the same color as the walls. You will be surprised by how all three planes vertical walls, ceiling, slanted walls) will appear to be different colors because of how the light hits them.

• trk65
    14 years ago

First of all-congratulations on your new home! Love your granite-it's just like ours.
    In a big open room like that I'd try to find a shade that is lighter than the "cliff rock". Any color you select will look different on each surface. I'd paint all of the surfaces (walls, angles, ceiling) the same color.
    I'd also look at what direction the windows face and try to consider that when picking a paint color. A southern or western exposure will give you more natural light to work with so you could go a little darker but if that side of the house faces north or east I would lighten it up.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here are darkish tannish walls with three different ceilings. It just looks like a dormer ceiling, so not odd looking, imo, with the lighter colors. Some would like the highlighted angles of the lighter colors, others would like the enveloping sense of enclosure of the darker. There might be more difference between the walls and ceiling color of the first image, with the dark ceiling, than I've shown.

I left out the beam of light highlighting the ceiling and entrance area of the end wall. If that's a lighting effect you're adding, it would make a difference.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Hi, Jenfur

Congrats on the wonderful new house (and the cute, buff hubby)! Are you painting this yourself or will the builders paint it? If you are painting, you might want to do a white primer on the whole surface and then do the walls - only the vertical part. See how you like the white ceiling and then decide whether to paint it white or the same as the walls.

I do agree with the others, though, a very light neutral (a light tan, for example) on the walls and all of the ceiling will make it easier and the room will feel very large.

• parma42
    14 years ago

I like the looks of squirrel's first pic.

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies. I do like the look for squirrels first pic. We will be painting this ourselves. I agree that a lighter tan would be pretty, I'll keep that in mind when we're picking out colors. You rock, I'm just super excited about my first home and I'm sure I'll be picking your brain in the weeks to come.

And yes, hubby is adorable, and keeps himself in shape. :) He's actually starred in a music video with me, and a few of my photographers have asked to take his picture. I take that as a compliment. :)

• parma42
    14 years ago

Seeing the model home's layout, I think you can go darker with the wall color, if you'd like.

It's plenty big enough.

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Parma, it is a large room. And since it's connected to the kitchen and hallway, it's very open and airy. Our home faces north, so the windows of the living room would face east and south if that matters any.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Trying to put the accent lighting back in around the kitchen entrance, as in the model home:

{{!gwi}}

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

I am sorry, what were you asking? I was looking at some adorable man in a photo here.........lol

• catkin
    14 years ago

Late to this thread...
    I love your layout! I vote for the first Photoshop.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

All I see are muscles. :)

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies, for the help and the compliments on hubby. It's funny, he doesn't think he's attractive, but society seems to think so. And it's funny when I have a modeling gig, and they ask if he wants to come along. :) Umm, thanks, LOL. We've decided that we're painting the ceiling also. Hubby says "yay". :) I ordered that blendmate tool to help blend the colors on the bullnose corners. We close in 26 more days!

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

jen, congrats are your beautiful home. Would love to see pics when your finished painting.
    by the way, you wouldn't happen to know the name of the colors they used in the model home? They are gorgeous and I have been looking at that same color combo for a while

• jenfur427
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I don't know. But I can see if I can find out the next time we're out there.

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

Thank you