SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenegreen

Please comment on my layout ideas

kareng
13 years ago

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking for a while and will probably be hanging around for quite some time. I'm constantly amazed at the creative thinkers who offer their advice on GW. Sometimes the smallest adjustments, make such a difference. I'm just starting to playing around with possible layouts for a future expansion/renovation. And would appreciate your thoughts. Here are the details -

Bought a house a couple years ago from original owners - built in 1976 and not updated since. We have a nice view out the back and would like to maximize the amount of time we spend looking at it.

We are not formal dining room type people, we spend most of our time in the living room on computers/watching TV, so we want to swap the living space and dining room space. The house is split level, so the existing family room is half a flight lower and the view from that room is blocked by trees.

2 adults in the household. I'm the cook, DH is the cleanup man. We occasionally host small dinner parties or have various out-of-town family/friends (of all ages) visiting. Most of my cooking is at the stove, not much baking.

The photos are of the current as is layout. An overview of the expanded layout (adding on ~10ft), and two kitchen layouts - one with cornerstove, one with stove against the back wall.

I kind of like the cornerstove. I know they tend to waste space, but with that layout, I would make the corner a focal point. Probably do something fancy behind the stove with a shelf or nook.

My concerns/questions are-- we have purposely eliminated uppers across the back to maximize our wall of windows, but I seem to have less storage all around.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, window and doors are all movable.Fire away!

AS IS-

Expansion plan-

CornerStove Layout-

Backwall Stove Layout-

BTW - We are aware of the cost/time/hassle associated with an addition like this and it would not be overbuilding for our neighborhood. We are surrounded by houses that are much new and larger than our own. The addition would also provide access and expansion to a basement area that is currently only accessible from the outside.

Comments (4)