SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mercymygft_gw

New house or not...that is the question

Mercymygft
12 years ago

Here is my story (for anyone who is willing to read on further). My MIL is in an assisted living facility (she is 88 and has Alzheimers). She has "X" amount of money left to pay the monthly rent (maybe 5-6 months worth). She also has a home that is completely paid for. My hubby was getting ready to sell her home and to put those funds in her account to continue to pay for her AL rent.

As he was down there getting the house ready to put on the market he got sentimental about the place (he grew up there) and said this would be a good place for us. She has a single family home w/a detached garage and we live in a townhouse. So, I thought yes, with some updating her house would make a great place for us.

So, I came up with a great design for her home to expand and remodel. Had a couple contractors come in and see if my "vision" would work...yes it would! I got excited about my vision, which would include a new kitchen, and started posting here.

So the plan was to sell our place and purchase hers and get a loan to do the renovations to improve her place. But then hubby got worried that the funds MIL has left would run out before we sell our place, and his/our first priority is to make sure his mom is taken care of. So now all the plans I had were scrapped. This really got me because I knew that we would probably end up giving his mom's place away to another buyer, when it would be so good for us.... but ok, we need to take care of mom.

So hubby meets with the real estate agent tonight and she suggests this..... We will put both houses up for sale, hers and ours. If ours sells..Yay, we take hers off the market and purchase it ourselves. If hers sells and we get a good offer, we take the deal and mom is taken care of... either way, she is taken care of. For us, we need to do some repairs here (that need to be done anyway), so even if we don't sell our house will have a house that is in ready to sell condition.

Anyway.... I really hope this works out and our house sells first!! Then I can see the vision I have for her house come to fruition!!!

Please pray this happens!!

(Sorry this was so long...thanks for listening.)

Comments (11)