SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teeda_2006

Craig's List made me do it, really!

teeda_2006
16 years ago

Well, I've just made another Craig's List purchase. It wasn't anything I desperately needed, but once I saw it just had to have it.

I just gave a deposit on a gorgeous, down-filled french country style settee/sofa. I was looking at my local Craig's List a couple weeks ago and saw it. It was located in a very nice neighborhood not too far from me, and after deliberating for over a week I decided to go take a look. I told myself I wouldn't buy it unless it was spectacular. It is less than two years old, custom upholstered in a gorgeous creamy white damask pattern chenille, has a single down filled cushion that is reversible and two down filled toss pillows (which I'm not crazy about but will recover the down forms). There beautiful carved oak cabriole legs in both the front and back of the sofa. It's quite tall--41" high so will look great with my 9 ft. ceilings. It looks much more beautiful in real life than in these pictures--especially the color and fabric. The owners are older with no children, the piece has been sitting in their formal sitting room and is in perfect condition. They paid almost $2,500 for it on sale at a very, very nice local furniture store. They showed me all the original receipts and paperwork. I got it for $400!

It's either going in my formal sitting room (I have a 12 year old "matchy matchy" couch and loveseat that was purchased for my previous home and is really too big for the small room) or it will go in my master bedroom when I redecorate this spring. I'm decorating around a 19th century french armoire and a gorgeous 1920's upholstered headboard with handcarved oak trim.

I'm picking it up the week after Christmas. So I guess it's my Christmas present to myself. Only problem is--I haven't told DH that I bought it yet. Will be hard to sneak this baby into the house--especially since he's on vacation all next week! (Does anyone know if there's a 12-step program for Craig's List addiction?)!!

Comments (21)