SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Does this kitchen make my family room butt look SMALL?

breezygirl
13 years ago

My first post on the Decorating Forum! I've spent the year mostly on the Kitchen Forum working on a new kitchen. I think we're finally narrowing in on a plan, which is moving the kitchen into the old dining room space and flip-flopping the family and living rooms. It gives me a GREAT kitchen. (Hooray!) But maybe the family room becomes too small??

Please help me figure out what to do with this space!! I'm having trouble figuring out furniture placement in the new family room as it feels awkward to me. We spend most of our family time in the FR where we play with toys and games with 2 young kids; watch TV and movies; and hang out. We need play space, some toy/game storage, as much seating as possible, and seating convenient to TV.

Here are the only 2 furniture arrangements my overworked brain can come up with at this point.

OPTION A: If the TV goes on the wall like this, I get lots of floor-to-ceiling built-in storage in a great visual. BUT the fireplace feels cut off from the rest of the room.

OPTION B: The TV is mounted above the fireplace mantel. I think the seating should be back far enough to minimize neck strain. I've never liked TVs above the fireplace, but it might work here. (I just drew in a sectional that we can buy for a good price, but I'm open to other seating options. With the small bumpout of sectional on the bottom end being armless, viewing won't be impeded.) The negatives here are less storage for toys and DVDs/CDs and having to try to figure out how you hook up cable box and DVD player remotely from TV and still have function. That gives me a technology headache.

Any other ideas??? Do you like one of these? Please help! I hear you guys over here are wizards with furniture placement!

Comments (11)