SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deltabreeze

What do you think about this rug?

deltabreeze
14 years ago

What do you think about this wool rug (small geometric pattern) instead of the leafy one for this room?

The new rug would be larger and extend a few feet under the bed. I would change the pillow on the chair to pick up the rust in the room's two paintings.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (79)

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

greenthumbfish -- I like the black rug that you choose, but I was looking for something with a somewhat smaller scale. Could I trouble you to photoshop the rug below in?
    I think this rug would respond to many posters' suggestions for a larger, darker rug with some movement in it.

Cattknap, I know my mismash of colors isn't perfect, but I want to keep the art up there for sentimental reasons. I may go to ivory bedding later on, depending on my rug choice.

Thanks everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here it is.
    {{!gwi}}

• Related Discussions

What size rug should go under a round table?

Q

Comments (12)
    First, something to think about: We are having a round table made and I initially wanted a smaller one with a leaf or two. My options were extremely limited (want a counter height for out room) and I thought I was going to order an Amish one when I found a local woodworker. He and his wife both said that if you want a pedastal, they would do everything they could to talk me out of extensions. They said they are great initially, but because of the weight and construcion of the table, they will always wind up having trouble. Now, he's building solid wood tables that should be around 100 years from now. If' you are buying something for the next 10 years, maybe you won't have any issues. Their advise was to go with the largest size round that fit the room and keep it stationary. That would allow you to have a rug that always fits too. No worries about storing leaves, changing finishes, etc. Are you going to have a buffet, server, china cabinet or other furniture in the room? The placement of other pieces could impact the size and shape of your rug. Search for photos of DRs with round tables. You basically have three choices -- no rug, fit the table with a round or square that is a minimum of 3-4 feet larger than the table (8-9 ft) or the rug essentially a room carpet. The size would then depend on whether you have other furniture in the room and how you want to define the space.
    ...See More

What do you think about this rug?

Q

Comments (10)
    I personally think the pattern is too busy with the bedding. Since you have some red accents, why not pull that into the rug. I briefly looked at your link - but didn't have time to search through the reds. Your woodwork and floors are really nice and I think the right red would really warm up the space.
    ...See More

Dining Room Rug

Q

Comments (3)
    Pictures please and also the size of the space.
    ...See More

Finishing my living room

Q

Comments (17)
    i like the chair. once you're able, do get it redone in a similar velvet if you like. Or, you could do the same color as your reddish pillows. I think the pillows are a bit blah, but the color is ok I think you could do pillows w/a little pattern you see how they have your reddish/orange color, but also the dark blue that goes w/your rug? w/the patterns? they all blend together pull some of these tones/prints that go w/your rug. then throw in a few solids in the bright color or if you like the golds just as an example, look at how they did the pillows in this room. (and the baskets on the wall are diff.) or this one. you don't have to do this many pillows! but look at how all the colors blend, even w/diff patterns. I like the double layer rug, the glass table, the colorful ceramic stool.
    ...See More
  • squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

whoa . .thank you squirrel!This looks promising. It does suggest, though, that I should get a somewhat smaller version of this rug, if one is available. Plus, I should play with the pillow colors. Could you make the second one rustier and/or add a silver flange?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

It is rusty -- what color do you see??? What is a silver flange?

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This old monitor didn't pick up on the rust (makes it look like a light brown). I was brainstorming about rust with a silver edge --like piping. What do you think about the rug?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Hopefully this looks more rust to you. Put some on the bed too, to carry it around the room.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• upa_lazy_river
    14 years ago

This darker rug looks like a Nourison 2000 in Black that I have in my home. I have a larger version (5x9) in a mushroom color too that is lovely. Good choice.

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

I like the last, darker, one. Don't scream but, how would the bed look on the wall facing the door with that paining over it? You could put a darker blanket or something on the bed to pick up the colors in the rug. How would the other painting or mirror look on the wall just outside the door to the right? I'm just thinking --

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

rrs - her hubs wants to look out the big window from the bed.

delta, I like the last one OK, but I still think the one I chose coordinates the colors better and looks more transitional.

Sorry I wasn't available yesterday - Santy was out shopping ;-), thanks for picking it up SH!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

No problemo! GTF : )

Someone mentioned that rug as a Nourison 2000, so I went over there. This quiet, calm one feels like your room. They call it a light gold.

{{!gwi}}

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I like the last one..the calm one. It seems to fit the mood of your room better.

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

I was hoping he was like my hubs and just didn't feel like moving furniture ;-)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I guess I'm the only one, but I like what you have to all the options shown. I like the addition of pattern and contrast. And I'm not a fan of rugs under the bed for some reason. It throws off the proportions too much for me. I prefer a rug that covers most of the room to maybe a foot from the walls, wall-to-wall, or area rugs like you have.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

Love the last picture - that rug is perfect - and the warmer bedding is really works so much better - love it now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Sort of OT, but saw your room on the Ellen Kennon Paint web site! Such a pretty room!

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my this is fabulous! THANK YOU. Yes, I want calm and light, with some pattern. Looking over at Overstock, there are at least 3 rugs (all listed as having an ivory to beige backround) that seem to work. Thank you all for your patience -- somehow, I think we are on the right track.
    Cyn, I appreciate your kind works. This room has progressed a great deal, but only due to the kindness and skill of people on this site!
    Here are the rugs I am currently looking at:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

The gold ones look very bright! But they also don't look like very realistic photos : )

Now this one poses a directional issue, which I'm not sure of. Not sure if the scale of pattern is accurate, but love this one in there! Can you link it directly? I'd like to see if the pattern is as it appears here.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I found it. Crisper than above but still a very soft pattern and coloring.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Varying degrees of brightness on rug #1. First is toned down just a little for your room lighting. The others increasingly less bright. Hard to say what the coloring is irl from the photo. It does look distorted to me. Maybe it's around locally to see. You can still see different tonal qualities and patterns in there, though.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Again, the rug appears a bright yellow in the photo, so first image is just a tad subdued and the others are moreso subdued towards the ivory/beige of the description.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• slateberry
    14 years ago

Can you darken the shutters and paint around the window? Or can you lighten or gild the picture frame and mirror? You have light shutters, medium bed and chair legs, and dark picture frame and mirror frame. I like contrast, but the three groups seem to be fighting to me. Picking your favorite two of the three might work better. But maybe I'm just overanalyzing. If you want to gild anything to lighten a bit, rub-n-buff is serious gilding fun in a tube. I've used it lightly on wood frames to great effect.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

squirrel, once again, you are amazing! I am going to see if I can see the rugs IRL. From your photos, though, the rug that I like the best is your last. I like its detailed, smaller scaled pattern. Here is the rugs's pic link on safavieh.
    http://www.safavieh.com/dealer_site/discontinued.htm

The reviewers on overstock, however, tend to say it is less gold than ivory/beige

Slate -- Les917 a while ago suggested that I ditch the round mirror and get some wall art. Something lighter. I plan to return to this good suggestion after figuring out the rug issue. I think you are correct.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Deltbreeze,

Do you have a Safavieh store near you? The reason I ask is that after you let me know that many of the rugs on Overstock are Safavieh, I realized the one I purchased from them (at double the price) was on Overstock. They ended up matching the price and I got to see it in my home. You can go to the store and possibly find these rugs to see the colors in person. I know the rug I bought was sooo much brighter on both of their sites, and if I didn't see it in person, I would have passed on it.

• jant
    14 years ago

Hi,

Just curious...is there a real specific reason to change the rug...size, color, comfort (cold feet lol?)

Everytime I've seen this room (particularly the shot of the chair/oil/lamp/rug) , I really had to stop and stare for a minute. The mood it creates is wonderful...I honestly don't think these persian inspired designs are doing anything for the room other than making it very busy, taking the light away and competing with the paintings (and everything else) The wood floors reflecting the light, their warmth and sleekness are a big part of why this room works so well. These other rugs seem to be turning the room into just, well,.... kind of ho-hum ordinary IMHO.

I think the ivory tone in the current rug also adds to the look...I'd go simpler, solid or with something like the paisley you posted earlier...and keep it lighter. A color similar to the walls might work too. The lighter shades create a lot of impact contrasting with the dark furniture.

If you have to change, I'd have to say your choices were my favorites...I like the open ground and the transitional look of that paisley in particular. It's an interesting design but the neutrality of it would allow it to work well and not fight everything else in the room. What exact color it is though is always the question.

If you don't have a specific reason for getting a larger rug I wouldn't.

Overall, I think your gut instincts are pretty darn good. :)

• jant
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention that out of all the persians I did rather like the one posted by Squirrel at 20: 04. Again it's more open ground, lighter in tone and a more transitional design than all the others. I'm just not seeing these dark or gold rugs really doing much for this lovely airy room.

• User
    14 years ago

I really like the last rug in the photo Squirrel posted. I wish I was able to pick a rug off the internet but even when I bring a rug home from the store 9 times out of 10 the color doesnt work for me.

• jant
    14 years ago

And I DO think your description of your taste as kind of "cottage meets modern" is a very apt one. I think that's a big part of why this room strikes me as VERY refreshing; it's airy, has a great sense of calm yet also has a lot of impact and punch...that's NOT an easy one to pull off!

I love your crisp bedding and I wouldn't match pillows to the rust in the painting. It's just too obvious for lack of a better term...getting matchy will take away from it's impact. And let me say also I think it's those paintings that MAKE this room. I don't know what they look like closeup but they're the room makers in this case...the fact that you didn't add others to the wall or center it on the wall also adds to their impact and presence. I would let the painting stand on it's own.

• jant
    14 years ago

I really need to stop this and get cleaning! :( Have you looked at Dash and Albert rugs by chance? I have one of their rugs in my sunroom. They have a marvelous selection of contemp/updated vintage/cottage styles in wool and cotton. Gorgeous designs and perhaps much more suited to the feel of the room than the persian ones.

They have fantastic striped rugs...perhaps that might be something to consider.

I saw different bedside lamps in several pix...not sure which ones you have now but I love the pharmacy lamps...a great eclectic look with the bed and shutters.

Can you tell I love this room? :)

I hear Mr. M starting a fire...time to get cookin'!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rugs

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I agree with Jan T, I think you will lose the modern, airy, Zen feel with the busy rugs. That said, I did like the darker rug you posted a while back. I love dark rugs and have one in my bedroom.

• jant
    14 years ago

So I lied about cooking. :)

I know sisal was suggested several times and I do love them...just not in a bedroom due to the rough texture. If you like that look here's a wool rug done in a sisal look weave. The price seems to be incredibly inexpensive when I created a custom rug. (I'm considering one for our bedroom for the winter.)

I also loved that sculpted rug you posted initially...maybe even more than the paisley. The color was hard to grasp however.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wool rug sisal look

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

delta: I can see one of your latest rug choices is the rug I bought for my FR. My rug is due to arrive tomorrow and will be happy to take any pics for you if you like. It looks good there, I like it, but isn't it a tad traditional for you? I really like the rug squirrel PS'ed in her 14:41 post. The lighter rugs just feel more calming to me since this is a bedroom.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I have to say I really like the round mirror. Not because it's a mirror but that it's round. Everything in the room has a square edge and this does not and it works well because it contrasts everything else in the room. So I would keep it and I like where it is too. Proportionally it also works.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Val -- yes please post a pic of the rug you get. I would love to see the resolution of YOUR rug quest -- and get pointers as to whether that rug would work in my room.

Jant and everybody -- you have all given me much to think about! Yes, I like things with a modern twist and frankly, as a rug goes, I like the leafy one best. There is something about the light, large rugs that squirrel photoshopped, though, that is calming and I wonder whether that would be better. I sometimes get into decorating trouble buying assorted things that like and assuming that, together, they will give the right feel.

Late last night, I was tempted to bite the bullet and order the rug in squirrel's last post, but a very few nagging reviews (amoung many positive Overstock reviews) stopped me. I think I need to slow down and see if I can find some of the Overstock rugs here in town--to audition them in personal. I also haven't fully abandonned the thought of just keeping the leafy rug. I still really like it.

Thank you everyone and sorry to be so indecisive. I THINK the ending to this story will be "and I found a great, light colored rug--on CL or Overstock-- and bought it" but the ending could be "I ultimately decided the leafy, high energy rug was just fine. . ."

• loribee
    14 years ago

Ditto bumblebeez...
    I LOVE the round mirror centered.
    I love how it balances out the dark painting frame too.
    Can we ask you to plse rethink changing it out??

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

I like the mirror as well and really like all the other elements save for the rug... it's not bad, I just think it could be better...

Here's another... I'm sure this rug is better IRL:
    Stylish rug features an elegant all-over circular leaf pattern in shades of gold, beige and bronze...

Of all the others, I like the one SH posted at 20:04.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Delta: Here is the rug:

{{!gwi}}

I will try to take some better ones tomorrow in better light than there is now. I will say the rug is more muted and warmer toned than it shows in SH's PS.

• texashottie
    14 years ago

I'm totally with Jant on this one. I think she nailed the appeal of your room perfectly. I too would shy away from the rugs with the dark fields, and I'm not crazy about the traditional Persians for your room either. Some of the suggestions are too matchy-matchy and predictable, IMHO.

I hope you slow down and take your time with this---it's a beautiful room. :)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the Overstock rug again, in its new coloring (some of over-yellowing of photo taken out):

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Delta, here's a site with an interesting selection of rugs. The pricing varies quite a bit, with both bargains and investments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Studio

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's a botanical from that site, which I really like in there. Still feels light and airy, but cozy. Not cottage-y but has a nice feel.

I'm loving your choice of rust as a complementary color. Very beautiful.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's another with similar coloring, but lighter. Also has a similarity to your original pattern, but calmer. This might have been an Overstock. ? Picked it up last week.

{{!gwi}}

• jant
    14 years ago

Squirrel...you found my "lost" site! I saved a rug from the Rug Studio quite some time ago but then somehow lost it...back again!

Delta,
    I'm sooo happy you didn't buy that rug. :) Curious... is there some problem with the round mirror since several people have mentioned it? I went back and didn't see any negative comments on that but perhaps in an earlier post? To me it's the right thing to put there...it reflects a great view and light, the round shape is a nice contrast to the small windows, it's not competing with the wonderful paintings and adds a little sparkle in the room. What's not to like?

Back to the rug...

When I've found myself in your shoes I've gone out and brought home a few different rugs of varying colors/designs (with the intent of probably returning them ) and thrown them down as a test. I think just seeing what a different color/size would do to the room would quickly give you a good idea as to what direction to go. Maybe grab a seagrass just to have a neutral and test size? Usually I'm not crazy about rugs just a few feet under the bed footboard. It makes me think the right size wasn't available or the rug wasn't chosen with that particular room in mind...just looks awkward to me. If bigger, I like them at least 2' or so on the sides of the bed and more past the footboard. You'd also want a nice border of floor showing. If smaller, similar to what you have now. One thing I love about the rug size you have now is that it seems to create a "room within a room" in tandem with the chair/painting. I might scooch it a little bit more away from the bed legs perhaps.
    Another thing I meant to ask previously. Could wanting a larger rug perhaps just be a wish for more of a cocoon like feel in winter? Many of us do change with the season for that reason. I love my bare floors in my bedroom in the warmer months but I prefer a warmer, textured look in winter.

You've mentioned the word "calming" previously...wondering how the room makes you feel??

This rug from the Rug Studio jumped out at me...to me it gives off the impression of a watercolor painting. Because it has no definitive "pattern" it doesn't compete with the paintings. The colors would be very complementary to everything in the room. I also wondered what you might think about a round area rug?? There's another similar to this that I saved.

I know you were content to back away from this for awhile but thought I'd throw this out.

• jant
    14 years ago

I give up...I keep getting a message rejection when I post it with the link to the pix. Another GW glitch now??

• jant
    14 years ago

I'm having an awful time with GW rejecting my message when I post a link...trying this now. I love the softness of these gently shaded rugs. The other one I talked about first just is NOT posting. But I'll try later.

• jant
    14 years ago

From the Rug Studio again:

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

leaf and paisley and dark have been way too overpowering in the room. Honestly I like one of the overstock.com ones or the photo with your original choice with the geometric looked wonderful, especially with your furnishings and MOST ESPECIALLY with your parents oil paintings. It seemed to be just the right blend of old with new and looked great with the walls and bed. Sorry, but all else looked too distracting.
    Good luck.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

update. I realized that I needed a break from staring at the leafy rug so much. I couldn't see whether I really liked it there or not!

I decided to (gulp, gulp) order a new rug and move the leafy one elsewhere. The new rug is more traditional. It has an ivory background with rust and some green.

Thank you everyone who helped me make this decision. I will post pics when it comes. Hopefully I will love it.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Deltabreeze,

On Dec. 19th you posted photos of three rugs. The first looks similar to a rug I purchaed on Overstock. I just wanted to say that the colors are off..it's not that gold. In fact mine was listed as ivory/sand and has touches of your Lichen in it. I will post a photo later to show you the differences in how they appear in reality and on Overstocks' site.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gulp again . . .How I wish Overstock would do a better job photographing their rugs. Here's hoping that my rug (ordered already) will work out so I won't have to send it back. Here is the one I ordered -- but in a slightly smaller size. It is handknotted, 121 knots psi, rust, ivory, and tan.
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-knotted-Melur-Hand-spun-Wool-Rug-9-x-12/3289404/product.html

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!