SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlweaving_marji

Opinions please on lighting, Main living area

mlweaving_Marji
10 years ago

The lighting order is going in in a few weeks, so I'm checking all the selections again for compatibility so that I don't regret my choices down the road. I'd like a house where for the most part the selections look like they were meant for the same residence. I've got a good track record for choosing what I like then looking at choices later and trying to make the look cohesive.

Great room floor plan with proposed furniture plan

Standing in the Great Room looking towards the kitchen one will be able to see the dining room Chandelier, the kitchen pendants and the breakfast room pendant. If one turns their head the entry chandelier might also be visible.

The givens are the dining room and B'fst room. DR Chandelier is Waterford, from the 20's, and the b'fast rm pendant is one I've had since the early 90's.
Originally I'd chosen a very popular pendant for over the island, but it had a real industrial vibe to it, and better senses prevailed so I changed my mind - twice.

For now I'd just like your feedback on the main living area lighting. I'll put the bedroom choices into a different post.
The piece that probably really doesn't fit is the dragonfly light. But I think I'm committed to using it.
What do you think of the island pendants given the other fixtures?

There will be a ceiling fan overhead in the living area, it's the South and necessary. The ceiling in the living area is vaulted, with a large dormer bringing in north-eastern natural lighting. There will also be 4 recessed lighting cans in the ceiling in the living room.
There will be 3 eyeballs in the ceiling in the dining room, in the part not up in the tray, to focus light on artwork that will go on the walls.
In the kitchen in addition to the 2 pendants there will be recessed lighting and under cabinet lighting.

I'll worry about lamps etc later. Suffice it to say that most LR lighting will come from lamps.

Comments (33)