SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_48562640

1970s Main Floor Remodel: Living Room & Dining Area

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

**This is related to my other post "[1970s Main Floor Remodel: Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1970s-main-floor-remodel-kitchen-dsvw-vd~5120260)" but regarding the living/dining area to help organize suggestions.

Hi there!

My fiance and I are stuck on how to design our "main" floor in our 1970s home. I put main in quotes because although our home is considered two stories, there are actually two steps you need walk up from our entryway in to our living/dining/kitchen floor. It's a strange layout, at least in this decade, and we're stumped on whether we should try to keep a second entryway in to this main floor. You'll see in the photos, and hopefully my paint-job layout, more details of what we're working with.

These are what we are definitely will accomplish with this remodel:

• The wall between the kitchen and living/dining area will be torn down very soon so that entire space will be open concept from the fireplace to the kitchen sink
  • We are laying down wood-look tile throughout from fireplace to kitchen sink
  • A kitchen island with butcher-block top
  • Counter tops will be replaced with granite
  • Cabinets will be refinished
  • New fridge

What we need your help with:

Living Room

1. I HATE where the TV is located in the corner of the living room, especially with the furniture arrangement (we purchased the couches and lamps with the house, as it was essentially brand new...didn't think about design/layout then). I would have love to mount the TV to the large wall against the loft-side of the room, however, there is not cable jack that we can connect to. We were thinking to mount the TV to the fireplace, as low as possible so as to not be too high above seated eye-level.
  2. If we mounted the TV To the fireplace, can we get away with pendant lights? Don't worry - those would be updated to something else :)
  3. Considering the window frames are wood and the wood beams in our ceiling, do you think we could make white trim work in our home? Or should we go with darker stained wood trim? That's kind of what we're leaning towards, since we both think staining the window frames will be easier than paint. Thoughts?

Dining Area

1. Is it better to wall up the openings under the staircase by the chandelier or keep those open somehow? Fiance says to wall them up, but I'm worried that if we close those up and close up the second entry in the kitchen, people may feel stuck. Is that silly to think because we have such high ceilings and the upper level is lofted?

Thank you!!

Saya

Comment (1)