SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erica1234_gw

Feeling guilt about painting

erica1234
10 years ago

I live in the house my parents built (or rebuilt - there was a frame, roof, and some wood ceiling left) in 1976. Hubby and I put in new kitchen appliaces, a new toilet, and wall paint, but nothing else has been updated since the '76.

Since it's a small house (925 sq ft), I was thinking a nice coat of white paint on the ceilings would really help lighten it up. BUT, my mom spent weeks taking each board down, sanding and stripping 5 layers of paint off, applying poly, and then reinstalling all these ceiling boards. Am I really going to un-do all her hard work? I thought about covering them (tin, beadboard), but hate to lose any amount of height since it's such a small house.

Then I thought maybe new hardware and some white paint on the kitchen cabinets would help lighten it up. I know they'll still look dated, but I'm on a budget. My dad built the kitchen cabinets himself and said "Noooooo! Don't paint those! They're good wood - just restain them".

There are 5 different types of wood and different wood tones going on in the small house and it's driving me nuts. I'm 33 yrs old, but still feeling guilty about this stuff. What is wrong with me? Should I just paint whatever I want??

For the record, my dad lives 2 states away and never travels so it's not likely he'll ever see it and my mom passed away 6 years ago (which probably contributes to my not wanting to change something she worked so hard on).

Comments (39)