SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

Planning the shelves for my walk-in pantry. What do you think?

arlosmom
13 years ago

The main part of our kitchen has been done for a while now, but my walk-in pantry is still stuck in partly functional limbo-land. I installed shelving brackets on the back wall as a temporary measure so that the space will be usable until the real shelving is built.

DH wants to do the build-out of the pantry himself, and he "promises" to do it this winter. He does beautiful work. I might talk him into letting our occasional carpenter do it instead though. We'll see who gets around to it first. I've been thinking about the shelving for a while now, and I'm really hoping to get feedback from my smart forum friends on my pantry layout plans.

The wood trim around the door, the window and the baseboards inside of the pantry will be made from the chestnut that we salvaged from the old pantry. Depending on how much we have left, shelving will either be chestnut or painted white pine.

The pantry is approximately 5 by 5 with a pocket door. Here it is closed:

And open:

On the left wall of the pantry, I was going to build very shallow floor-to-ceiling shelving for canned goods. I'm planning for the shelves to be 5 inches deep, and 51" long. Five inches will accommodate almost anything in a can or a bottle, only one item deep. I haven't figured out the vertical spacing between shelves yet, but I figure I'll end up with 7 or 8 shelves total.

On the back wall, shelves will be 12" deep. I had initially intended for the shelves to run the full width of the back, but unfortunately my architect didn't plan for HVAC ducting, and running them through the pantry was the least painful option. So I have 12" deep shelves for 34", and a drywalled box for 30". The toaster oven will live on one shelf as in the picture. I think I'll have a few baskets with baking supplies, misc. pastas, etc. I'm also hoping to store all my many years of cooking magazines on a couple of the shelves.

The wall to the right has a window. I bought a small buffet for this wall that fits perfectly, just leaving a 3" gap at the right side to store my stepstool, convenient but out of sight. When planning the kitchen, DH vetoed marble as a countertop, so I plan to get marble cut for the top on my pantry buffet. In this buffet, I plan to keep table cloths, vases, rarely used small appliances, and plastic bags from the grocery (in one of the drawers).

On the upper part of the wall that the pocket door slides into, I was going to hang a bulletin board for all the misc. stuff I want to keep but not necessarily look at.

The only space I haven't planned is the blank upper portion of the back wall (where the HVAC runs). I may just leave that empty to keep the space from looking too claustrophobic. Or maybe I'll hang something decorative, like more of my beloved fish molds.

So what do you think? I'm hoping to make the most of my space and have it be functional, organized, and I hope beautiful. I'm open to any suggestions for how to make this space the best it can be.

Thanks in advance for looking and helping me!!

Comments (3)