SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

I'm FINALLY painting the cabinets (will it ever end?)

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

Ok.

2.5 years now into my 1929 kitchen restoration.

Here is a fast recap.

We bought the house. Basically, one wall of the kitchen had been replaced, and needed to be "restored" to look 1929ish:

So we removed it:

TheHusband insisted on having his brother build the cabinets for the new wall. TheBrother didn't follow my design details (details are EVERYTHING), and this is the HORROR that resulted (note the infamous "flying dishwasher.")

I refused to go forward with this (refused to paint it, and put counters on it). Husband refused to replace it, after spending 2K on it. I waited him out.

My patience paid off. Almost 2 years later (yes-I had a plasitc covered plywood counter top for 2 years--ah tis a distant memory), we ripped it out:

I hired a cabinetmaker, and held firmly to my design plan:

He built it.

Note: it looks really cute, but the quality is super shoddy (warped doors that won't close, saw burn marks on the wood, super cheapo glides on drawers and trash cabinet). Totally form over function! Hey--it looks good!

Cabinets and counters were installed back in January. Thus started the "we need to hire professional painters" argument with TheHusband. TheHusband absolutely didn't want to hire painters. Painting is, in his mind, the quintessential DIY job. Besides, knowing what an obsessive perfectionist I am, he felt I'd never be satisfied with the job, and would regret spending money on it.

So it took 7 months for me to get up the courage to do it myself. And to find the right yellow.

I'm only doing one half of the kitchen right now. I've got little boys home with me all day, so I mostly paint from about 10:30pm-2am (when the family is asleep). I've been at it for almost 3 weeks so far...

{{!gwi}}

Besides catching drips, I have found that blue painters tape is excellent for preventing me from uttering swear words in front of the children as the job drags on and on and on and on and on...

I will finish this! I will, I will!!!

:-)

francy (aka Patina Galore)

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!