SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

considering consigning to a 'real' auction...questions

mahatmacat1
11 years ago

Hi folks, hoping palimpsest and others who buy (and sell?) at auction might read this--

I've got a few larger-value items that I'm considering liquidating -- I will never use them or display them and I might as well get a new, modern driveway and front walk out of them : ) -- but I'm curious about the larger auction houses. If they sell something I have, say something that sells at $20K (let's assume it's the correct house and the correct auction, which attracts the right people for my item), how much would *I* actually see of that $20K? I can't figure my way around all those fees; the sites seem a bit labyrinthine. I'm just an eBay girl--so declasse!

I'm trying to figure out where would be the best combination of exposure to serious high-value bidders and greatest proportion of value going to me rather than the auctioneers. Is commission fairly standard across the industry? Or do some houses charge more? I know there's a buyer's premium, too, so it seems to me that the auction houses make money coming and going...

Anything you can share to help me understand the ins and outs of selling through an established auction house would be most appreciated.

Comments (11)