SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonnie_nmi

Dress Shopping for Mother (92)

bonnie_nmi
16 years ago

This is so OT there is no doubt it belongs here! After much shopping, I finally found a suitable dress for myself for my son's July wedding. It needs a few alterations, but nothing I can't handle. Now to find one for my 92-year-old mother!! When she's having a "good" day, she is sure she can tolerate the 3+ hour ride to our home and the 2 hour drive to the wedding destination the following day. Other days, she says there's no way she should be considering it. Nevertheless, I have been relentlessly searching every large and small dress/department store in both the Ann Arbor and northern Michigan areas - many more than once - and I can't find anything she will consider wearing. Granted, many of the styles are for the younger crowd, but I have taken her several outfits that I thought were appropriately sedate, only to be told that they're too fitted, too low in the neckline, etc. She's 5' tall and wears a size 14 - a fairly easy size to find in petites - and I can shorten a non petite if necessary.

I know no one can solve this shopping problem for me, but I'm wondering if any of you know of an online or catalog store that deals in conservative clothing -- because that's what it's going to take to please her, I'm afraid. I'm starting to consider thrift and resale shops, but she'd be upset with me if she found out. LOL!! My other option is making something simple, but my garment sewing skills are pretty rusty, and she's very fussy. Nothing wrong with her eyesight or thinking!

Of course, after all of this, there's the very real possibility that she won't come up anyway. I have a houseful of company coming up for this weekend, so I'm going to give myself a stress-break, relax and go kayaking, and maybe someone here who helps outfit an elderly mom will have a clue for me.

Thanks!

Bonnie

Comments (12)