SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rednellie

Buying Used or Retail--A Little Survey

redbazel
15 years ago

I was reading a terrific article in today's paper about consignment stores and the great 'finds' one woman made locally. It reminded me of how much I used to haunt a local consignment store that had beautiful furniture, gently used and antique, as well as lovely accessories, garden things, and decorating supplies. Alas, that store got sold, re-worked, and ruined. So I rarely hit consignment anymore. But it set off a train of thought and I was interested to know........

1. Do you Always buy new furniture for your home?

(No. Rarely.)

2. Do you Ever order furniture online?

(Yes. I bought my present bed from an online retailer)

3. Do you Ever shop for used furniture through Ebay, Craigslist, The newspaper classifieds, Estate and garage sales?

(Yes. I have tried them all.)

4. A. In your area, Do you have good garage & estate sales?

(Yes, a lot of the time.)

B. Good things attractively priced on Craigslist?

(Occasionally. But cities 150 miles away seem to have nicer stuff and more selection. It makes it harder to go look at things though.)

C. Nice things available through classified ads or thrifty nickel papers?

(Yes. But you have to screen a lot of ads)

5. Do you see other's estate sale finds or CL purchases and wish you could find stuff like that or have the courage and time to look for used?

(Other people's great finds inspire me to keep on looking even when the temptation is there to pay retail)

6. Does worry over not being able to return things purchased used or not being able to do layaway or credit deter you from looking in those areas?

(There are a couple of things over the years that I would have loved to have returned but for the most part, I spend so little on a chair or table or lamp purchased this way, that it still pays off to make a mistake occasionally.)

7. Are you uncomfortable buying used or antique? Do you worry about 'other people's stuff' or negotiating prices?

(If you saw my houseful of old and used stuff you wouldn't even ask!)

8. Has this board and it's great stories/photos/threads inspired you to take the leap and look at used stuff, try Craigslist for the first time, or bid at Ebay for furniture or decor?

(I've done garage sales most of my life, but I have to admit, this board and some of the cool things here have kept me looking, hoping to find something great for my home.)

9. Have you ever bought something at retail that you felt 'stuck with' because of the amount you spent?

(Not furniture or decor. For TJMaxx, HomeGoods, etc., I always save my receipt and return right away. For furniture, I lucked out on the rattan bed I bought. It was pictured in the Spiegel catalog a few years ago and then I found it for much less online. I love it. My sofas I have always bought new. And I spend a lot of time price-shopping, quality-shopping, and fabric-sampling first.)

10. If you've Mostly bought furniture and decorative items at retail stores, what antique or used venue would you most like to try right now?

(I haven't really hit many estate sales at all in the last 2 years. I've done more craigslist and ebay. I think I want to get out there and look around locally again like I used to.)

11. How much time does it usually take YOU to find what you want....

A. At a local or national retailer?

(Sofa took me about 3-4 weeks of concerted shopping)

B. Through Craigslist ad?

(I've found what I want sometimes in only 2-3 weeks, but the antique sideboard I wanted took more like 2 months.)

C. Through Classified listing?

(Sometimes months)

D. Garage or Estate sales?

(Usually in just a couple of weekends of sales. But for some things, it just takes going out again and again and again till I find what I want. My DR armoire took 2 years of yardsaling and consignment store searching.)

Red

Comments (20)

• jaybird
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

(Rarely.)

(no)

3. Do you Ever shop for used furniture through Ebay, Craigslist, The newspaper classifieds, Estate and garage sales?
    (everything except Ebay.)

(Yes)

(Rarely)

(Yes. But you have to screen a lot of ads)

5. Do you see other's estate sale finds or CL purchases and wish you could find stuff like that or have the courage and time to look for used?
    (I am always glad that someone finds what they like/are looking for, but it rarely affects me in any way)

6. Does worry over not being able to return things purchased used or not being able to do layaway or credit deter you from looking in those areas?
    (no)

7. Are you uncomfortable buying used or antique? Do you worry about 'other people's stuff' or negotiating prices?
    (no)

8. Has this board and it's great stories/photos/threads inspired you to take the leap and look at used stuff, try Craigslist for the first time, or bid at Ebay for furniture or decor?
    (I had been purchasing used for 35 or 40 years before I found this board)

9. Have you ever bought something at retail that you felt 'stuck with' because of the amount you spent?
    (Not furniture or decor.)

10. If you've Mostly bought furniture and decorative items at retail stores, what antique or used venue would you most like to try right now?
    (n/a)

(couple weeks)
    (they don't have much, so it would probably take years :^)
    (Sometimes months)
    (sometimes months)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

(No. I have in the past but I'm mostly turned off by the poor quality of newer furnishings.)

(Yes. Tons of stuff from ebay.)

(Yes. Ebay, garage sales. No to classifieds and craigslist.)

(Lots of estate sales, but haven't had time to check them out since we moved in.)

(Occasionally.)

(Don't know. Too time consuming to screen the ads)

(I agree. Other people's great finds inspire me to keep on looking even when the temptation is there to pay retail)

(No. I have had so much better luck with used, vintage or ebay purchases over the retail purchases (sometimes those are not returnable, either) that I have no problem buying used.)

(Uncomfortable negotiating prices -- which is why I like ebay, but not uncomfortable with other people's stuff)

(I've been a consignment store, garage sale and now ebay-er long before I found this board.)

(Absolutely yes. If anyone is looking for a nice sofa sleeper sectional, french-style settee, eastern king sleigh bed, reading chair, benches, ottoman, dining set, entertainment center or some very nice lamps, send me an email. :))

(Estate sales.)

These days, I mull over decisions much longer than I used to (see above retail furniture regrets).

• Related Discussions

Christmas Survey

Q

Comments (11)
    1. Wrapping paper or Gift Bags? Both...mostly wrapping, but gift bags work well for odd shaped things to wrap..or gifts that go somewhere to be opened where the paper mess is unwanted such as out to eat, maybe work? Ect.. 2. Real or Fake Tree? Fake, I have a fear of a fire with real....and I am also terribley allergic. 3. When do you put up the tree? I begin thinking about it the first week of Dec..it takes about a full week cuz crazy me cleans everything as I go. 4. When do you take the tree down? When I get sick of the mess, early January or when the urge to put the couch back in a better viewing position hits :) 5. Do you like eggnog? Love it, as does my entire family. It is a tradition to begin Thanksgiving morning with our first eggnog of the season. 6. Favorite gift received as a child? Betsy Wetsy Doll 7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yep, I handpainted it years ago. It has been boxed away tho for ten years or so. It is just to large for my space. This year I will pass it on as a Christmas gift to my daughter. 8. Hardest person to buy for? My brother, he doesnt care about anything but work...it is ALL he does..and he has no hobbies and cares nothing about clothes as long as they cover and are clean....makes gifts tuff.. 9. Easiest person to buy for? This is an easy one, my first grandchild...just 7 months this year.....super easy...and for now, inexpensive :) 10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A vaccum cleaner...bought by my husband because ours broke :(. 11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Snail mail also. I look forward to pictures in them from family...and tho I hate to admit it, even the stupid christmas newsletters from braggy family members. 12. Favorite Christmas Movie/show? A Christmas Story. 13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Sometime in October..but more heavily after Thanksgiving. 14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Maybe, I can't recall :) 15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Fudge...Shrimp cocktail and mom's blueberry cheesecake. 16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear, nice and elegant...but I like colored outside.. 17. Favorite Christmas song? Grandma got ran over by a reindeer...a family joke. My dad's favorite to tease my mom with once she became a grandma. He is gone now..so it has become a whole family favorite now..just because.. 18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Christmas Ev about a 1/2 mile from here..Christmas Day at my home. 19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Only if I sing the song as I do.. :) 20. Angel on the tree top or a star? mm..star usually..sometimes nothing :) 21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve we go to my mom's and have a huge caotic gathering where we exchange gifts and dozens of kids run about...then we come home late late late, and stay up and open ours now that my children are grown. They like to sleep in the next day and be lazy ... :) 22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Trying to please everyone.... 23. What I love most about Christmas? The love, the fellowship....the laughter..
    ...See More

Citrus Survey

Q

Comments (43)
    1: What types of citrus trees are you growing and their size now? Lemon eureka lisbon meyer babies not grafted. Everything else grafted Lemon meyer Tahitian lime Australian finger lime Australian gem Makrut lime all 5 years old Lemonade Calamondin Mandarin emporer, clementine West indian lime all about 2 years old Arnold blood orange a year old Australian round lime Yuzu not sure brand new tree have it about 6 months. But already over a metre and a half and has fruited already 2: How do you grow them? In the ground or in containers? In a greenhouse, indoors, out with or without supplemental lighting? If container grown what type of soil mix are you using? All in containers. Outside. Bring the younger in in the winter keep them in my back room which has big windows 3: What type of fertilizer do you use and why? Have you tired other types and found one that has proven to be more effective? Composted chook manure. Seasol. Potash. Trace minerals. A bit of epsom salts if needed 4: What about pest control? What type do you use and why? Try and let nature control it. Remove stuff with my hands and try plant things around the garden to attract beneficials. If things get really bad i will enlist the help of a homemade white oil spray. But thats just when I'm desperate as I worry about the beneficials. 5: Where did you buy your citrus trees? Please also supply the link if it was mail order and which state, please. Have you had any negative experiences in buying trees? Most of them are presents. But have bought some of the older ones from bunnings and from the sundays farmers markets. I've got a wishlist for some of the more unusual ones which I can only find online, but want to make sure my current ones make it through the summer first. 6: What were some of challenges you faced growing your citrus trees? How did you, if you did, correct the problem? Leaf miner. Scale. Ants. Getting enough water and protecting from sunburn in the hot summer. Getting feeding right and shaping properly. Besides the pest control. I put a shade cloth up when its going to be too hot. 7: Why was citrus a choice for you to grow? Was it the look of the tree or did you just like that type of fruit? I love citrus. Beautiful fragrant flowers. Zest. Fruit. Leaves (makrut) and pretty looking plant. 8: What other types of fruit trees do you grow and why? Fig. Tamarillo. A few native australian berry trees. Acerola. Fejoia. Peach. Apple. And a baby banana tree...we will see how we go with that. 9: Other then this forum what other venues or clubs have you enlisted for support? This forum. No clubs. I was a member of a community garden but then I moved. 10: Were there any books you found especially helpful in growing citrus? No not yet. 11: Out of all your citrus trees which one do you love the most and why? That's a hard question. My tahitian lime is one of my oldest most prolific and i love limes. A lot of the others are a bit young yet. 12: What do you do with your harvest? Eat it, cook with it, and share it? Eat it. Cook with it and share it. I have a few friends that come for some of the makrut leaves. I cannot wait until some of my trees are abundantly producing so I can share with my friends and neighbours 13: Does your family share your hobby of growing citrus trees? Ummmm not so much
    ...See More

A Survey: When Do You Put Up Your Christmas/Holiday Decorations??

Q

Comments (42)
    Small town life sounds good to me. As does living in the country. We had a few acres when I had horses and other animals back in the 60s and 70's. Phoenix is soooo big, too much traffic, and I hate driving even if it didn't cause my leg to go on the warpath. I was born in a small town, in Ala. I don't really going places alone either, and won't go out at night except to family gatherings at one of my kids. I'm waiting the arrival of my toile plates I just bought. Tho heaven knows what I can find to do with them, but will try just because of all the support I've gotten here. Any table settings I do will be just for ONE, maybe two if you're lucky. LOL. I'm going to be a one-trick pony, sorry about that. I just can't do full tables for many reasons. I've been 'planning' my Christmas decor. Really planning this year. Thought it might take some of the load off me being so over-whelmed with it when I go to unpacking a zillion things in the middle of the floor while telling two cats NOT to help me. A zillion times! One sleepless night I started plotting different places to put things this year. I want my newly begun collection of Nutcrackers (started last year) pretty much together. But I think the purple one should go with the Santa. And I have two golf Santas and two golf Nutcrackers that should stay together. Last year they were with my two other special Nutcrackers, a policeman and a fireman. These have a lot of meaning! I'm going to put my Village in the antique china cabinet in my entry hall this time I think, instead of Painted Pony Cabinet in familyroom. Tho I still have to move over a 100 statues from BOTH. I was thinking of putting Xmas horses and reindeer in the pony cabinet. I have quite a few of both now. Anyway, its fun to mentally decorate. It also doesn't wear me out or hurt my body. LOL. I think I'll start my Village next week in fact. First I have to make room for all those dog statues to safely go on closet shelves for the next two months! Ugh. hugs, Karen
    ...See More

quartz countertop owners - a little survey

Q

Comments (33)
    trebuchet- can this 1/2 radius edge be done just at the sink? would it look odd if the rest of the counters are eased? clarification: 1) when people say "chips at the sink" do they mean the countertop edge in front of the sink, or the countertop edge *inside* the sink? 2) when I asked my question about about 1/2 radius edge at the sink, I meant inside the sink, not at the countertop edge in front of the sink. This post was edited by illinigirl on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 20:17
    ...See More
  • greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Hiya Red.

(Rarely since I discovered CL)

(Yes. Usually small stuff that won't kill me on the shipping or if it has a brick & mortar here, then I have the store order it online)

(Yes. I have had the best luck on CL.)

(It's hit & miss and with today's gas prices, not worth it to me to go out of my way.)

(Yes! I consider my last purchase on there the best bargain of my whole life!)

(I don't use them.)

(Other people's great finds inspire me to keep on looking even when the temptation is there to pay retail)

(Nope. Lots of people just relist and sell it back on CL, that's what I'd do.)

(I really don't and I guess it's because I'm buying upscale stuff from people who live in McMansions for the most part)

(No, found CL before this board.)

(The only furniture I've EVER regretted buying was my 1st sofa and love seat and my second sofa and oversized chair - DH was involved in both decisions and I caved on both - NEVER again! Decor stuff, I always hold on to receipts and return if I don't end up wanting it.)

(I'm sticking with CL for now, it requires a lot less time than garage/yard/estate sales.)

(I shopped for my LR coffee table for at least 3 years, yep, I said YEARS, lol, on some things I'm just picky!)
    (Mostly 2-3 weeks, but I have a feeling it's going to take much longer on the dining room furniture and chairs for my studio.)
    (I don't shop them)
    (I don't shop them)

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

(No. I buy about 70% new and 30% from antique and consignment shops)

(Rarely. I bought the guest room bed online last month (?)and was pleased with it. A few years ago we ordered a small wood file cab online from two different well-known sites and had to send both back because the quality was lousy. Getting them recrated and arranging to have them shipped back was a real PIA!)

(Yes. I have tried them all except Ebay; I don't want to pay for something used that's that large without actually having looked it over, turned it upside down, touched it, etc.)

(Yes, a lot of the time)

(In Albuquerque, yes, but Santa Fe doesn't have as many nice things. I'm surprised, but think the wealthier people don't want strangers coming to their homes for security reasons.)
    (I honestly don't check, so I'm not sure)

(Yes!)

(I'm always very picky when buying furniture, new or used. I don't buy unless I'm very sure I want it and it'll fit)

(No, older furniture is usually better made than today's. I am very hesitant to buy upholstered furniture, though, unless I'm planning on having redone immediately. My son is very allergic to cats and I don't like to takes chances with pieces that may have been around them. I like to wash anything coming from a home I don't know and since I can't wash upholstered pieces, I rarely buy them used)

(I've done garage sales most of my life, but another decorating site ~Great Impressions~ got me shopping Ebay and other auction sites. There, I've bought my gorgeous game table, many paintings, more pieces of my antique china pattern and my Cottageware, etc. Love them! This site here introduced me to Craigs List.)

(No, not so far)

(There's been a renaissance of good quality antique shops in Albuquerque lately and I'm just starting to make the rounds again. At estate sales, I'm now very comfortable bargaining with them. I'd look for art too, but my DH will kill me if I buy any more pieces ;^)

(Weeks to see what everyone has and compare them)
    (I looked for about 5 weeks for a dining room set, and ended up finding it at a consignment shop instead. So, I bought anything from CL yet, although I have gone out to look at or called on several items)
    C. Through Classified?
    (I rarely look)
    (I've just started looking at estate sales again. I found a gorgeous painting last week, but had to pass it by or end up getting my DH VERY angry ;^P ))

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

I rarely buy furniture period. However, what little I have bought has been new. Most of it is not "nice" furniture. The rest is hand-me-down (not heirloom, strictly cast-off).

Not often, but I have ordered a desk and two lamps online.

No.

I wouldn't know.

I don't look on Craigslist often, but what little I have seen is junk.

Never look.

Yes and No. Every once in a blue moon I see something that really appeals to me. However, usually I'm not crazy about the style or finish. I absolutely cannot take the time to refinish a piece. Maybe later, but not at this stage of my life. (Some things are more important that furniture!)

I'm not interested in layaway or credit. As someone pointed out, you can always relist on Craigslist if you don't like the piece. However, I do not want strangers coming to my house. I guess I'm weird about that. I'd be stuck with it. (Unless my mom wanted it!)

I don't mind gently used furniture, especially wooden furniture. No thank you on the upholstered pieces though. I also do not like to haggle. I'd probably always overpay b/c I just pay the price on the sticker.

No ... no time. Maybe later when I'm not juggling two young children, a full-time job, and a variety of volunteer duties for my church, school, and neighborhood association. Once we finish our home upgrades/renovations, I *might* get a second-wind and attempt something new-to-me, like sewing curtains. I realized a long time ago, that I can only do so much. I refuse to feel guilty for not doing more.

Not really. I have to REALLY, REALLY like the piece before I'll put my money down. I also keep a tape measure in my purse. I don't buy unless it is "perfect".

I don't need any furniture right now. I wouldn't mind looking through antique shops b/c I love old things (pottery, baskets, dishes). I don't need or want anything enough to drag my boys along though. (I also hate clutter so I don't buy just to buy. It has to serve a purpose.) Most of my "old" stuff came from family members and is sentimental. I'm also a little afraid of antique stores. I'm afraid that most the stores around here are a little "high brow" and would charge a small fortune. I don't know enough about antiques to know the value of a piece.

I'm super picky. Sometimes months. Sometimes never.
    Again super picky ... never have seen anything I like.
    N/A
    I did buy a big platter at a garage sale. I saw almost the same platter later for 5x the price. Yippee! (That was a fun trip b/c I went with a friend and only took one child. Normally, I'd be by myself with both. No fun for any of us.) However, when I looked at some children's outside play equipment, I was shocked that the sellers wanted 2/3 or more of the retail value for much used, much faded plastic toys. No thanks.

Nin

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

What a fun thread.

(I do a combination. My formal areas of the house LR/DR/entry are predominantly antique; bedrooms/family/kitchen are predominently new. If I did it over again I would've gone antique mahogany in my master--oh well, I still like my sleighbed...)

(Yes. I ordered an entertainment console from Bush. I loved having so much selection at my fingertips and I think for ent. furniture that is the way to go. I was very happy as I got it to go in the master and had an odd space to work with and was able to find exactly what I wanted and the finish is a great match)

(Mostly CL and estate sales (prefer those done by an estate agency to get good quality stuff, otherwise it can be a lot of junk--same with garage sales. No time to check classified as I want to see pics. Had bad experience with poor quality/misleading pics on eBay so won't buy furniture again)

(Fairly good. Can't find a Perisan rug that is not predominently red though.)

(Don't know)

(I've had my share of good finds and enjoy sharing the thrill of the search with others here on this board as my friends IRL don't share this interest and mostly buy new stuff)

(When I buy used I figure I'm buying closer to the value I could sell it again for or maybe even less. I know I could sell my DR set for double what I bought on CL, but would never do so. Last year I bought two futons on CL over Xmas while waiting to decorate my LR, six months later I turned around and resold on CL for about the same price.)

(At first I never thought I'd buy upholstered items used, but my Baker chairs convinced me otherwise! I do think with used stuff and antique it is best to check out the condition in person and not with venues like eBay unless one is going through a reputable auction house--which I don't have the courage to attempt, though I've been tempted several times to try)

(Yes, bad and good. I was encouraged to bid on some eBay chairs which was a HUGE mistake, but I take full responsibility for that. I started using CL before I joined this board when we first started our remodel and I needed to downsize. I'm a big fan of CL, less so of eBay though there is much more variety on eBay so that has it's place as well--just one needs to be more cautious and check out the sellers on toolhaus.com! One of the most important pieces of info. I received on this board is eBay feedback process is flawed.)

(Yes. I reget my sectional purchase for my FR as I wish it had a sofa bed. I feel I paid too much for my custom Calico Corners drapery because I was not very knowledgeable at the time how to choose WTs--but I do love the look. I regret some of my paint choices and while not too much $$ to fix, it would take a lot of time--esp. in the kitchen.)

(Any place that can sell me a Persian rug cheap!)

(Few weeks)
    (Depends. I looked for 4 months for a lyre coffee table, found it eventually. I've been looking for perisan rugs for about 3-4 months and haven't found one yet, gallery prices are too much $$ and I don't want to comprise on quality--want hand-knotted wool)
    (Don't use)
    (I view estate sales as a big Easter egg hunt. You never quite know what you will find. If you have a vision for your space then it's pretty easy to spot what fits that vision.)

• spanky_md
    15 years ago

At least half our furniture was bought used.

Nope, don't wanna pay freight!

I have bought several tons of furniture at estate auctions, two dining chairs on Craigslist (from a consignment store that advertised there), but never furniture on Ebay. I used to buy at yard sales many years ago but quit going because I discovered auctions, which suit me way better.

Auctions are good. Too much competition at yard sales, though.

Nope. Well, maybe, but it's mostly junk or stuff that is not my taste at all.

I dunno. I don't have the patience to wade through stuff in print. I have no problem wading through it in person for some reason!

I'm usually the object of envy (or people think I'm nuts for buying ratty old stuff), but sometimes I see the deals that other people get and wish I could find such wonderful things for nothing. Then I remember that I do---just different wonderful things.

Nope. I get stuff so cheap that it doesn't matter. And if I decide later that I don't like it, I either pass it on to one of my kids or I resell it on Craigslist, Ebay, or the local consignment shop.

Nope. I clean it up good, reupholster and/or refinish as needed, and when I'm done it's as good as new. Negotiating price isn't a factor since I buy at auction. Knowing when to stop bidding is a learned skill, though.

I was already doing it before I found this board, but I love sharing my stories and reading about others' finds!

Yes, but it happened way more often back when we bought everything retail. Mostly it was sofas that were disappointing.

I would LOVE to be able to shop at the local mid-century modern collectors' shop but it's rather pricey and we already have everything we need, so I just go there and drool a lot.

Years, for some things. Days for others. Depends.

I don't even really try.

Definitely don't ever try.

It's very random. I just decided to start looking for a sofa again at estate auctions and found one within 2 weeks. The last one before that took at least 6 months to turn up.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

1. Do you Always buy new furniture for your home? No. I generally prefer used with the possible exception of upholstery.

Not yet but it may come down to it in the end. My area is somewhat limited on quality furniture.

Ebay I am reluctant on b/o freight and I want to touch, smell, oogle, etc. I do not go to garage sales, I don't want to drive around that much for hit and miss. I only checked the classifies a couple of times and the listings were paltry. I did check craigslist thought and did find a great desk for DD with adorable pictures on the drawer handles for $65.

4. A. In your area, Do you have good garage & estate sales? I don't really know. I would like to try estate sales at some point but that will have to be with the requirement that my escorts have a minimum height of over 5'.

A little but it is pretty paltry.

Haven't checked in some time.

I do wish that I could find more but I think I would need to live in a bigger city with a different vibe to find the objects I would covet.

Not really. If I got it cheap enough and did not like it, I could always donate it to charity.

I don't worry about other people's stuff. I do have to work on the negotiating prices some.

This board has certainly given me more ideas of what to look for on e-bay for decor (still hesitant on furniture). Granted, most things I have seen on e-bay have exorbitant shipping charges so I check there a lot less often than I once did.

Yes, my dining room table and chairs. I knew exactly what I wanted but the in-laws wanted to give us a gift and we were pressed for time. It is brand new and good quality but I was rushed and it makes me sick when I look at it. There would be no good reason to get rid of it and a true waste. However, if DH is first to go and his parents are gone, so is that table.

10. If you've Mostly bought furniture and decorative items at retail stores, what antique or used venue would you most like to try right now? I would like to be able to try some estate sales but I still have to wait until the ankle biters stop biting. I also would like to visit architectural salvage yards as well. My dream would be to go antiquing in Europe.

For all of these things I have to say it varies. I can definitely find something I like but I generally have to wait to gather the funds. That is always the big trick here. Now I mainly browse for ideas so I can identify what will work and what won't and to have a better grasp on fair prices so that I don't get suckered.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness...........some answers surprised me so much! Others, (especially some of you whom I've 'read' for quite a while!) not really. I loved Tish's comment, "If DH is first to go and his parents are gone, so is that table!" Too funny. We had an oil painting like that for the first 22 years of our marriage. DH bought it from the artist in Indiana, an older gentleman who meant a lot to my DH. The frame was dark and ugly, the painting in the fall/rust colors that were so popular late 70's early 80's. But he couldn't part with it. Well, last year, it went onto a truck with a lot of other things from my garage sale. Tish, don't wait as long as I did!
    Spanky reminded me about auctions. I keep wanting to go but never seem to have the time. Maybe this year. Spitfire is very straightforward in her shopping I think. And dragging children to an antique store, a yard sale, or God forbid, an estate sale, is just not much fun. I did a bit of that when mine were young, but I was on such a tight budget that it was garage sales or nothing. If you're very "into it" it's not that bad, but if you haven't had the great experiences with finding cool stuff in that venue, adding a feisty child or a tired one, is just an exercise in futility. I don't know how my mother did it with 5!

Many of you are like me, you found CL, Ebay, and the neighborhood sales long before they became so popular. One thing that has suffered, I think, are the Classifieds. There was a time, not so many years ago, when I would call about one bedroom set after another, ask as many questions as I could, then, haul across town or out to the country, to view. When I got there, sometimes I found something great. But more often, the dresser they called "antique" was a beat up mess from the 50's--condition they said was excellent, was, to me, not worth walking across the street for--and wood they called "walnut" was wood I called "plastic". Now, with the advent of good photos on CL and Ebay, it's hard to get excited about an ad that's just bare-bones.

I love reading how you guys think about this stuff.

Red

• johnmari
    15 years ago

1. Do you always buy new furniture for your home?
    Nope, can't afford new furniture, even though it would be nice to get exactly what I want on occasion instead of settling.

2. Do you ever order furniture online?
    No big items from online retailers, a couple of little items like footstools. Have purchased furniture from eBay and had it shipped.

3. Do you ever shop for used furniture through Ebay, Craigslist, the newspaper classifieds, estate and garage sales?
    Ebay and CL, yes.

4. A. In your area, do you have good garage & estate sales?
    Don't make me laugh!

Once in a while, but most of the decent things are too far away - an hour's round trip to go look at something would lay me out for a week and then we'd have to go back with a rented truck if it was a doable item. I've lucked out on a few things.

Haven't opened a regular newspaper in years. I don't even think we have a "thrifty nickel" paper here (there's Uncle Henry's but that's pretty much all Maine).

Meh. Wish I could find stuff like that, yes; have the courage, but time and energy are the issue. (If I have the time, I don't have energy, if I have the energy I don't have time!)

Not really. Do stores even do layaway anymore?

No. I don't really negotiate price much because I don't want to be a jerk the way some people who have bought from me have been, but I have no problem with "other people's stuff" - I learned some very hard lessons with "beggars can't be choosers" and so I don't even mind things like upholstered furniture that freak other people out, as long as it's clean. (I've even - gasp! - had a secondhand mattress. A good mattress cover and no worries. Better than sleeping on the floor.)

Doesn't really apply as I've had used stuff in one form or another since the day I was born.

Furniture that was purchased for a previous house, and was perfect there, but doesn't really suit the ensuing one(s). I just can't afford to pitch it because it's no longer convenient... it's less that I can't bring myself to part with it because of the $ spent than because I can't really afford to replace it.

10. If you've mostly bought furniture and decorative items at retail stores, what antique or used venue would you most like to try right now?
    Doesn't really apply.

Been a while since I've shopped retail for much, but I'd guess a few weeks unless I've done my legwork online and just have to go fetch it.
    Weeks to months to never.
    C. Through classified listing?
    Doesn't apply.
    I have given up on garage and estate sales. The dealers hit the estate sales the minute they begin (or even before) and strip out all the good stuff, and the garage sales are just loaded with junk. I don't have the energy to drive around all day in hopes of maybe possibly finding something I could use among the Budweiser mirrors and blistering particleboard furniture, and let's not even talk about the gas usage.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

(rarely)

Never
    (CL, Estate and Yard sales)

yes, but DC and surrounding areas have more so I shop 3 areas.

No- takes to much time- no photos

I feel pretty lucky and happy with what I have found.

No. I like working without a net.

Love it. I rarely negotiate.

no to Ebay. always have done the others

9. Have you ever bought something at retail that you felt 'stuck with' because of the amount you spent? No

N/A

I only buy from Homegoods etc. not long
    (It varies.)
    don't use them
    I dont look for something in particular but know it when I see it.
    I have a great upscale consignment shop in my area and frequent that.

To summarize I prefer to buy antiques or vintage items. I love Goodwill!!I shop for furniture from CL, a great consignment shop (furniture +accessories with 2 goldens I refuse to buy new,) auctions (accesories),(accessories) HomeGoods, yard sales ( whatever). I like the eclectic treasures that make up our home.
    Sue

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

This is fun, Red. THanks for starting the conversation.

(When I can find what I want, but I often can't. I'm in a small town with only a few furniture stores, and most of their stuff is either the wrong style or cheaply made and sold at ridiculous prices. My LR couch, LR chairs, DR set, DH's collapsing DIY-from-Target dresser, and kids' bunk bed were new: pretty much everything else is used.)

(Yes, but I've been burned. An Overstock chair described as aniline leather was actually bicast, and looks like vinyl. A Crate and Barrel chair needs constant tightening to keep the frame sturdy. I am especially wary of Ebay stuff, though I know other people have had good experiences...)

(Yes to all but Ebay. I agree with previous posters that if you don't get up with the birds, it's not worth the bother. And I have definitely gone on some wild goose chases. But I've also had some real luck with the classifieds and Craigslist, also our local Habitat Restore.)

(No -- they're an exception.)

(Feast or famine. Enough terrific MCM stuff of late to make Flyleft jealous. (: But not always.)

(Haven't pursued these in a while, thanks to Craiglist. I'm spoiled now: I want to see a pic with the listing!)

(Yes: I never have enough time. That, and I'm unwilling to get up and out early on the weekends.)

(No, not really.)

(Not at all, esp after your wise words about dealing with cat dander, Red. In fact, I just scored a great upholstered chair at the Restore yesterday!)

(No, I was already into it. I do get good reminders here. I'm wary of my Ebay karma, so while I applaud lucky buyers who've posted here, I'll never go that route.)

(Yes, my heinous, oversized, cheap-looking Flexsteel couch. It wasn't one of the floor models; we found it in the store's Flexsteel catalogue, and I persuaded DH it would be OK. Was I ever wrong. I hate the damn thing more each time I look at it. I am thinking of entirely remaking the back and side cushions to make it more bearable. Plus it's too big for the room, and makes rearranging furniture really hard. I will never buy another couch without giving it the tush test, and will measure many, many more times.)

(I wish we had a really good antiques mall here, with more furniture and art.)

(We don't have many of them here: a few weeks, but I usually don't find what I want.)
    (I don't really time these finds, because they're so random. I've been looking for a nice bed for several years: just found a solid-wood classic-lined bed from NC for $150, so my patience paid off!)
    (using these infrequently of late)
    (like Craigslist, these are chancy. I'd say I stumble across a good one a few times a year.)

All in all, the more I read here and at the Furniture Forum, the more interested I am in used furniture. I like the hunt and the creativity involved in remaking it; it's in my price range; and I think it's a better value than today's laminated frames and polyfill cushions. I'm about to embark on my first experience with reupholstering an old chair. Wish me luck!

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

(No--in fact maybe twice. New appliances and computer, stereo, etc. )

(Nope. Decor, furnishings, yes.)

(Yes. Classifieds here very poor. Also Shopgoodwill.com)

(Yes, SoCal is a big place.)

(Fabulous! Best buy: 15 drawer architect flat file for $35.00)

(Don't look.)

(I wish I lived in Texas! Great stuff, low prices.)

(Nope.)

(Bargaining is half the fun, and I couldn't care less about other people.)

(N/A)

(If I want to return something, I can find a way.)

(One of the big antique fairs)

(I'll look at catalogues, but not in an actual store.)
    (Weeks or months)
    (Sometimes months)

(Luck of the draw.)

Great idea for a thread.

• kim2007
    15 years ago

--No. We've only bought a loveseat for the small rentals we had to live in before we bought our current house.

--No.

--Yes, estate and yard sales, as well as Habitat For Humanity Restores, consignment stores, antique shops, flea markets.

--It varies widely, but good ones occasionally happen.

--Some seems to be, while a lot of it appears to be junk.

--Again, it varies widely, but generally yes.

--Sometimes I do find good stuff, but it appears areas more heavily populated than mine have more and/or better stuff, of course, and I do see a lot of that on this and other boards. Occasionally some gems turn up here.

--We've never sunk enough into a used item for it to be something we regret a lot if it doesn't work.

--Heck, no! We prefer used or antique things.

--Yes, we got an antique light fixture from ebay because of the ones we've seen on boards.

--No, we always had small apartments and only bought smaller scaled, budget furniture before we bought this house.

--Doesn't apply.

--Depends on the item.

--We haven't bought anything through CL yet.

--We haven't bought this way either.

--These tend to be spontaneous purchases, so it's difficult to say. We usually see something that we've known we'd eventually like to have, or something that we hadn't considered but just seems right when we suddenly see it.

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

I tend to buy new upholstered pieces, and always new mattress/box springs. But wooden pieces . . . I can only think onf one piece in the house I bought new -- the cherry sleigh bed in our master bedroom. I bought it in 1996 when I was single and had. to. have. a sleigh bed.

No. I never have.

3. Do you ever shop for used furniture through Ebay, Craigslist, the newspaper classifieds, estate and garage sales?

Yes. But we are so busy I usually don't have time to do the estate/garage sales. I have bought (and sold) furniture on ebay.

4. In your area, do you have good garage & estate sales?

I wouldn't know. Around here they mostly start on Fridays when I'm at work. And then it's not worth going on Saturday when its picked over.

Hardly ever. Usualy a lot of brass and glass cocktail tables and bunk beds.

We used to call and go look at classified ad items. But, 9 times out of 10 it's a diappointment after driving 25 miles. I've gotten out of the habit, and the things I want just aren't what folks in my area are selling.

Gosh, I'd have to go to other people's houses then. I don't have time for that!

No.

No. The things I like are vintage. DH and and I have dealt in antiques off and on. There are wonderful pieces out there just waiting to be found.

Nah. I was already that way.

Yes -- items I had purchased new (the aforementioned sleigh bed). Resale on items purchased new is not so hot. However, the antiques we had in our big 1920s Spanish bungalow we sold for a tidy sum. I don't think we lost $$ on any of them and when we shut down the antique booth in April we had grossed about 10K.

10. If you've mostly bought furniture and decorative items at retail stores, what antique or used venue would you most like to try right now?

Doesn't really apply.

Forever. I'm not really looking for anything "new" right now.

Weeks to months to never.

Never. Although we did once purchase a 1930s Frigidaire fridge from a classified ad for $50. We had big plans to restore it, etc. We've moved it twice now, from basement to basement to barn.

I have given up on garage and estate sales. The dealers hit the estate sales the minute they begin (or even before) and strip out all the good stuff, and the garage sales are just loaded with junk. I don't have the energy to drive around all day in hopes of maybe possibly finding something I could use among the Budweiser mirrors and blistering particleboard furniture, and let's not even talk about the gas usage.

(^ ^ what she said)

• lukesmom
    15 years ago

I don't "feel" stuck, I am stuck. I really like everything about my Hancock & Moore sofa, chair and ottoman except the seating depth. Neither couch or chair is deep enough to curl up on. I ordered it online. It's my fault for not taking the depth into consideration.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

I am buying new but I also work with what I currently have.

Not usually. I just bought a TV console online and saved a few hundred $$. It's gorgeous. I spent a lot of time looking for the style that would fit my room. I have bought so many other items on line for my home. I don't have any reservations.

I don't have any reservations using the above. Just dont' have the man hours to do it. CL in NJ and Phila is not the best.

4. In your area, do you have good garage & estate sales?

They are okay. Not worth the time usually.

Hardly ever.

Don't have the time but I do ocassionally look. If I would see something I needed, I would not hestitate.

No. My friends do not have the time since we work full time and really don't like to spend free time shopping when there is so many other things they like to do better.

No.

I don't usually by used or antique. I would if there was something I wanted. I have not issues with negotiating prices.

No.

No.

It would depend on what I am looking for.

A. Not very. That's why I hire a designer. He finds what I am looking for. I just do yah or nay. Our visions are very similar and he pushes me a little beyond.

Never. I do look ocassionally.

Never. I don't like going to strange people's homes.

Rarely. If I see one when I am out, I may stop. I don't look for them.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

No, we have a love of antiques, so many things we own are very old. Sofas, upholstered pieces I prefer new.

No mainly because of shipping and I like to see something first.

3. Do you Ever shop for used furniture through Ebay, Craigslist, The newspaper classified. Estate and garage sales?
    I by alot off ebay, but accessories, etc. I've never bought furniture. No to Craislist, but I have been watching ours. No to the newspaper. Yes to estate sales, no to garage sales.

We've been to some good estate sales, but just got lucky. To be honest, I haven't researched either of these enough to answer.

Since i've been watching, I've not seen alot of *good* stuff, good prices though.

I don't read these, so can't answer.

Yes, I'm jealous over some of the great things you all have found! LOL

No.

I'm not uncomfortable at all and almost always negotiate. In antique shops, etc. I think it's expected.

Not really, but I did learn of Craig's List here.

I can't think of anything.

I would like to try out yard selling.

It can take me quite a while because I often don't know exactly what I'm looking for, I know it when I see it. LOL
    I've not bought anything through Craigslist yet.
    Not bought anything this way either.
    I never go to these really *looking* for anything, just hoping to come upon something.

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

Very seldom. Only when I need something NOW and can't wait to find it elsewhere.

No. I'll check to see what the retailers have, then check for on-site availability and check it out there first.

3. Do you Ever shop for used furniture through Ebay, Craigslist, The newspaper classified. Estate and garage sales?
    No to Ebay. Yes to CL, and garage sales. I rarely go to estate sales because in my area they're generally nothing more than overpriced garage sales done by 'antique' dealers. (Since when are Pioneer stereos and Tupperware antiques??)

I go to thrift stores a lot, for some reason, that is where I find the best selection and deals.

No. We have a lot of sales, but they're usually crummy any more.

In my area CL is actually your best bet. I've found great things there...not as nice as what others on here post, but good quality, newer things at very good prices.

Not here. In the paper, it's overpriced garbage and the thrifty ads are almost all cars anymore.

Yes! It used to be good here, but now, it's just garbage, so yeah, I'm totally jealous!

Nope. I'm super-picky and know that I can find something else soon, so unless it meets my satisfaction, I don't buy it.

Oh heck no! I've bought used for years (when I was a single mom, I had no choice).

No, not really for me either. I don't usually use Ebay because I like to see the stuff first hand and I can usually find a lot of good stuff locally.

Nope. I'm too thrifty to do that!

DNA.

Oh, a couple of weeks. When I want something, I'm on the hunt!
    Could be quick, could be weeks...depending on the inventory out there.
    rarely
    Used to be all the time, now it's so hit and miss. Don't get me started on the garage sales here!

• chelone
    15 years ago

1.) I have purchased exactly ONE piece of new furniture from a major manufacturer. A bedstead, in cherry, from Ethan Allen.
    2.) I have purchased one pc. of furniture "on line". It was a custom order from a high end furniture maker. I ordered a sideboard (walnut) to fit a specific space and accomodate specific needs. It was, at the time, priced competitively with the major furniture retailers (higher end). Now, the piece I purchased is about double what I paid for it 5 yrs. ago. It was the smart thing to do, doubly so in hindsight.
    3.) No
    4.) Yes, many.
    b. no idea
    c. no idea
    5.) No
    6.) No
    7.) NFW
    8.) No
    9.) NO! I'm a fussy, careful shopper.
    10.) n/a
    a. weeks
    b. n/a