SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cburch_gw

Very small bathroom colors .......

cburch
16 years ago

I have a very, very small hall bath. Really only enough room in each for two people, if one is in the shower! I don't even think you can close the bathroom door if you are brushing your teeth .... so my questions. 1) The walls were standard builders choice off white when we moved in. I painted a softer off-white and put up brown paper sack colored wallpaper at the chair rail with a hunter green, burgendy and blue boarder around the middle. Now I've stripped the wall paper and want to use a color that compliments our house colors, which are a taupey, gold and sage. I thought about an eggplant color, but I think it might be too dark. And even with only the border off the whole rooms looks a little brighter. Ideas? (probably a paint I can pick up at HD or Lowe's since I want to do this ASAP and they are more accessible to me)

2) Where is a good place to get bath accessories, with a lot of choices. I'd like shower curtains, soap dish, toothbrusher holder and some towels to match.

3) Do the light fixture over the mirror have to have the same finish at the faucet fixtures? What about the towel bar, etc? I have a gold fixture that I'd like to replace, but my towel bar and fixtures are silver.

TIA!

Christy

Comments (21)

• goldeneyedaisy
    16 years ago

Why don't you do orangey/red color? This is what I plan to do in my little powder room (if I just find some time to paint ;). I think orange/red/brownish tones will go beautifully with the rest of your house colors. You can't really do anything to make such a small room look bigger; however you may make it look like a jewel of the house with lots of rich colors. Just my opinion :)

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I have NO answers, only opinions.

Last question first.......in my hall bath redo, we matched the light fixtures in a dark bronze, to the faucet's ORB.

Then, I liked these Murray Feiss lights so much that I replaced the one in my master bath with them, but kept the chrome faucets and Pier One Coppery framed mirrors anyway. So, my mbath doesn't match, but I think it looks good.

Question 2. JCPenney is a staple in the bath dept. Steinmart has some more unique ideas and good vignettes. HomeGoods has a great selection of stuff, the prices are better, but you might not be able to get everything to match.

And for number 1. I am a Green Person. Love trees, leaves, deep green clothing, upholstery, and fabric. Love sage and bronzey greens. Have Baby Turtle Sage through most of my home. However, with a couple of notable exceptions, like ColorMeConfused's bath in Olive Branch, I don't much care for sage in the bath. In a small bath especially, I think a lighter color with no green tones would be a better choice. (My disclaimer on the Terra Cotta Hall Bath? DD wanted either that or deep brown. I would have painted Macadamia or a creamy shade myself)

Red

• Related Discussions

Paint colors for very small, very brown bathroom

Q

Comments (1)
    Were it my bathroom, I would paint the walls dark brown, but, I have a feeling you might not go for that.. So, B.M Franklin Lakes Blue, fun shower curtain and mirror from PBKids.
    ...See More

Trouble picking paint color and vanity for very small master bathroom

Q

Comments (26)
    @Jean thank you for the info, which I appreciate. I'm in Canada and only 1 of the stores that sell them is anywhere near me, I phoned them and they only sell to stores. plus, if @Diana Bier is correct about prices, I'm looking for something more affordable, but they are definitely gorgeous! Thank you all for your input, which I appreciate very much. I ended up going for a light aqua (sherwin williams Watery at 40%). I know in the pictures it looks more blueish but it has some green in it too. I'm very happy with it (very spa vibes!) but am wondering what do for my built in niche near the toilet : 1) do I keep the inside part wood (that I would stain) or paint it white and 2) what would you do as a background : wallpaper? See pictures below please Thanks in advance :)
    ...See More

HELP! Very Small Bathroom!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you fir responding! The room measures approx 5.5 x 8.5 (including back of medicine cabinet. Center of toilet to tub wall measures 4 fit.
    ...See More

Tile selection for very small bathroom

Q

Comments (7)
    what about home depot or lowes? They carry the Emser tile in the porcelain that looks like terrazzo. (Terazio is the name) would look great w/your modern look. It is a matte finish Come in diff colors and sizes/shapes. Wayfair also has it https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/emser-tile-terazio-24-x-24-porcelain-stone-look-wall-floor-tile-frsw1153.html Or, get a sample of this one. It's from the IvyHill line, which is the same as what Tilebar carries. I've used this tile in a bathroom. not at all slippery. I also like the earth tones which look nice w/your vanity https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-terra-italia-2362-in-x-2362-in-honed-terrazzo-floor-and-wall-tile-387-sq-ft-each-sost4947.html This one looks nice too. It's the Bianco White https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/encore-surfaces-cocci-siciliani-36-x-36-italian-terrazzo-look-porcelain-tiles-ecsr1363.html?piid=88613498 In the shower I'd do the 24x24 and pair it w/an accent tile on one of the walls Or do a combo of diff color subways (same size, neutral color palette and textures that would work nicely w/your vanity and any of those terrazzo tile try something like this behind the vanity/shower with the same tile Here's a porcelain blue onyx you mentioned Selene on Wayfair Calacatta Indidgo is also nice. comes in a mosaic too check out this selection on wayfair https://www.wayfair.com/filters/keyword.php?keyword=blue+onyx+porcelain+tiile&filters=colorList~Blue Or, see these patterned tiles on the shower wall? you could use that w/the terrazzo, or use those on the regular floor I really like it in the black (but you said you wanted light and airy). I think this black and white would look great w/your vanity, along w/the terrazzo for the shower. This tile is matte so you could carry it into the shower. You can also find this on wayfair if you want all white/light
    ...See More
  • windsorbecks
    16 years ago

I also have a very, very, very small hall bathroom (full bath) and here is my experience:

The walls looked strange when painted any color other than an off white.

Our bathroom has a tub/shower surround (white) two doors (white), a small cabinet sink (oak and white), and a tall mirror over the vanity. When I painted the walls a green color, it looked so choppy and actually smaller because the color was so broken up by the doors and tub.

I found that the room looked cleaner and more spacious with off white walls, and colored accessories.

Do you have open wall space, or is your bath pretty broken up by fixtures and doors?

• maggiersn
    16 years ago

Christy, just to be clear, is this a bath members of your family use everyday for showering, etc., or is it a powder room that people are only in for a few moments?

I ask to understand how easy-to-live-with the colors need to be, or whether you can go for the dramatic.

Also, does it have a window? What are the natural and artificial light like?

Re where to get things, I'm not so good at that. Other people here are better with sources. However, since you're going to Lowe's or HD, go to their curtain/curtain rod section. I do know the Lowe's near me has bath accessories/curtains that coordinate, working off some standard Waverly pre-made curtain selections. The inventory isn't totally extensive, but it I've seen some things I've liked there.

As for uniform finishes, I think it depends on the total look you're going for. I have a very small powder room downstairs in the front of the house (a section that's pretty formal). The metals in there aren't from the same product line, but they are all close in color and the same type finish...brushed nickel, pewter, etc.

OTOH, our master bathroom I would say is more like...French country?? Maybe. The colors are off white, pale green, a light tan. It's more relaxed--on purpose. For example, I handed the tile installer the floor tiles (in those three colors) and told him, use mostly the off white and a few of the others, in a random pattern. It's got a floral painted cabinet/bookshelf for storage, etc., a wicker basket, etc. So...because it's relaxed, and had warm and cool tones in the tile, I felt it was fine to mix finishes. The light fixtures are antiqued gold, the towel fixtures are an antiqued pale green, but I think the faucet is polished nickel with ceramic accents. I just buy what I like and somehow find a way to tie it together, in the fabric colors, or accessories. (Fabrics and towels, or even something inexpensive like candles or soaps, can be combined to pull finish colors together.)

Btw, most of my fixtures I got from the kitchen cabinet supplier I used; however, I found those pretty and interesting MB green fixtures, plus interesting brushed nickel fixtures for one of my stepson's bath, at Pier One.

Remember that *usually*, not always, but usually, toilets have chrome handles, so in a bath, people are often mixing finishes, anyway, if they don't go for shiny chrome.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

I just re-painted my little guest bath. I made the mistake of going way toooo dark the first time. I always thought it would be cool to have a dark little bathroom - I was wrong. I ended up with a very muted light green. I just hung a shower curtain in front of my glass shower door to hide the brass. I changed everything else out to a brushed silver.
    I think that Linens n things and Bed,Bath and Beyond have the biggest selection of coordinated bath stuff.

• maggiersn
    16 years ago

redbazel--That's a very pretty wall color. Would you be willing to share? Very nice with your other choices!

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

I don't have color advice since I also have a small bathroom and am starting to look at colors.
    I prefer Target for bathroom coordinates. I always find great things there. Also HomeGoods if you have one nearby. And then Walmart has a lot of coordinates too. I almost never go to Linens and things.
    HTH Love to see pics when you finish. Sue

• duffy0401
    16 years ago

I just did a remodel in my bathroom this year. My bathroom doesn't have a window and is very dark. I really wanted to do Silver Sage from restoration hardware but it looked very grey and gloomy. I ended up using sherwin williams window pane; it actually looks darker in my bathroom than on the sample card.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

That's Ralph Lauren Tapestry from HD, mixed up in Lowes paint, Maggiersn. Thanks. We had a hard time with the paint in this bath for two reasons. One, we wanted to paint before we installed the antique vanity, which made the idea of Re-painting unappealing. I actually painted almost the whole thing 4 or 5 times just with the test quarts.
    And two, My darling, dear, helpful, talented, DH, inadvertently mixed the wrong grout color for the attached shower/toilet area, and when I came home to see the finished tile job (he did great on that!) the grout was a salmon terra cotta instead of taupe.

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To answer questions:

There is 3 in the family. And the way we use this bathroom is weird. We all brush our teeth in there (don't know why, just do). DD (10 yrs old) uses it most, showering, etc. DH only uses it for etc (lol), I use it occasionally. Both DH and I shower in our master bath, which is the exact same size! UGH!

I don't want dramatic, but I don't want it to feel like a red headed step-child either. We just remodeled all the common areas in the house (kitchen, living room, dining room - there's pictures here if you search for my name) It's at the end of a short hall with three other doors off it that stay shut (we close our bedroom doors to keep cat out of them). I want it to feel like the rest of the common areas. Which are the color mentioned in OP. My taupey brown for the majority of house is Porter Griege - another color on the chip is Froth ( which is two shades lighter). Another color I used in the house is Lion's Mane (porter) and a lighter shade on that chip is Shell Flower, very pretty soft yellow. Then another color I used is Autumn Olive and it has a "white olive" on it's chip (also porter) which would add a very light hint of green to the color. Right now I have a Ralph Lauren chip on the wall in Yellowstone (I think that's the name) it's a texture finish that we thought would look cool. Maybe Suede?

No window. If you can envision this. Walk in door, facing small vanity with only mirror over it. The immediate right is toliet and to the right of that is shower/tub. We are thinking of replacing the toliet because it is white and the vanity and tub are off-white.

I really want to replace the light and sink faucet. I'd like something in brushed nickel for the sink faucet. But can't decide for the light - probably the same or something similar. That way I can save a little and not replace the towel bars, etc.

Christy

• teacats
    16 years ago

I vote for Froth -- sounds like a good choice that would work for the rest of the house too!

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I have a small powderoom and painted it a brick red. IMO, a room is going to recognized by others as small, so the paint color choice shouldn't matter one way or another. Same goes for using small furniture in a small room~it only calls more attention to the size of the room. Just my 2 cents.

• mzdee
    16 years ago

I lived with a family bath about that size for more years than I care to remember. I remodeled right before I moved.
    I used a chair rail, painting neutral on the top (warm cream and putting color on the bottom). The nice thing about neutrals is that your colors can change easily with towels and accessories.

As for places to get accessories....A few of my favorite places
    Anna's Linens (Gorgeous stuff and great prices)
    Value City
    Marshalls
    TJ Maxx
    Ross'

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

We recently added on a miniscule third bath to our house--by carving out a section of the garage. It's not a powder room but my DS's bathroom, directly off the family room so the look was important.

We painted it Restoration Hardware Sycamore Green. Things I think made it look bigger was doing clear glass for the shower door instead of a curtain which would make the space feel more enclosed, putting in two mirrors one of which is a medicine cabinet, putting in a very sleek toilet (Toto Aquia) and a smaller vanity with legs so that the floor space was open. Pedestal would've even been smaller, but I didn't want it to look too bathroomy when the door was opened.

It's hard to get good pics since it's so tiny, but here are a few pics of what we did (though the lighting is not the best):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• trying2buy
    16 years ago

We painted ours in a Ralph Lauren Gold with black and gold accessories. It made the bathroom feel cozy without feeling closed in. What helped is we painted the ceiling gold also. The white ceiling really made the room look smaller and once we painted the ceiling the powder room had a whole different feeling.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

trying2buy~

Any photos to share? I am eyeing a black vanity with gold handpainting on it, and a gold sink. Sounds awful, but it's lovely. I too was wondering what color to paint my tiny powder room with sloped ceiling. It's an awful space... carved out from beneath our front staircase.

I'd love to see your gold room. Do you remember which RL gold color you used? Thanks. :O)

• maggiersn
    16 years ago

Christy, either because I'm a congenital dunce, or I've lost brain cells painting all day (probably both), I couldn't come up with any pics when I searched "cburch". Did I do that right?

Without seeing it...first off, I love the idea of the suede finish on the walls. I've never used it, but I like it a lot. Does it handle moisture and drips well, and is it scrubbable?

I think I can picture your lay-out. I had a hall bath like that in a previous house. Hubby used the MBR bath, I used the one in the hall, and it was closest to the public spaces, so guests used it, too. I chose to paint it one or two (don't remember) "chips" lighter than the predominant color in our living room, so the house seem tied together for guests, etc.

So, I like your idea of choosing either one of the other colors you've used, or one of the colors from a color card you've used. That feels cohesive, to me.

It sounds like you have some really pretty colors in the house to work from. Of them...This is just my own opinion, but I would personally avoid the taupe family in a small room without windows. Taupe is beautiful in the right setting, but (again, JMO) can get muddy if natural light is low.

The yellow/gold tones will be warm and cozy on dreary or cold (if you live in the North) winter mornings. That's nice, but remember they'll make the walls advance.

Something related to the sage you've used elsewhere will make the walls recede, green being a cool color, so you may like that since the room seems small to you. Something sagey will also look nice with the silver/nickel tone fixtures you're thinking of and the off-white ceramics. I would just go lighter on the sage color card, rather than darker (again, only my personal preference).

If you want something different, another family I think would go nicely with your yellow/gold/sages would be something in a terra cotta.

But maybe, since you're having a hard time deciding, you would do better to approach this from the other direction.

Pick out either a shower curtain first, one that makes you swoon, or towels and a bath rug in delicious colors, or pretty ceramic or pottery accessories that you just love. Take the paint cards with the colors that appear in your house and go shopping for one or more of those things first. Find something that works with the rest of your house palette. If you do it that way, you should then be able to find something among your house colors (or one or two steps up or down) that you'll just know is right.

I know what you mean re not replacing the towel bars. First of all, once they have the towels on them, they don't show much, anyway. Plus...it's always a bear to find the studs ;-).

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

redbazel--Smiling sympathetically at your hubby's little "goof", which I think in this case turned out to be fortuitous. :-D I really like the "feel" of that bath; seems welcoming and cocoon-y, yet...

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

maggiersn - sorry, I've started posting pictures several times, but something always hangs me up. Below is a link for a thread asking about end tables.

Terra Cotta sounds nice too.... will have to look around. The Froth is a good muted color also. I'm going to look around at accessories this weekend to see if anything jumps out at me. DD wants something "fun" because she uses the bathroom, but I was something sophisticated since guest use it too. I found the perfect faucet in brushed nickel online for a really good price, but it's a 3 hole installation (which is what I want) but I might not be able to get, since the current vanity is only one hole ... stinks huh? Back to looking.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll let you know what happens! Hopefully this weekend!!!!

Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with pictures

• maggiersn
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link. Those are *very* pretty wall colors--and GORGEOUS floors--and I love your doors behind the table.

Now after looking at all this, and seeing the types of colors, I really like the idea of one of them, or something related (versus the terra cotta)...but in the suede finish. Would your daughter like that finish? It's kind of glamorous. :-)

Let us know what treasures you find on your hunt this weekend.

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I have a small bath that makes yours sound big. The bathroom only has a sink and a toilet with the toilet sitting in front of the sink. It is located between the kids bedrooms so there is a door on either side. The doors allow for you to walk through the bathroom between the toilet and sink. I have painted that thing all sorts of colors and so far the best has been just a neutral soft cream color. I have tried dark colors and it looks like a cave. I tried light colors but went with something bright and cheery and it looked like too much still. Neutral has been the best so far. Then you can use whatever colors for the accents with no problems.

With the room being so small you would think it would be easy to decorate, too but that's not the case. It's hard to get just that right balance of stuff without making it look over filled!

Good luck!

• cburch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, we deceided to go with Pale Gold 2 from the Laura Ashley collection at Lowe's. It's a very pretty creamy color. It's probably a little lighter than the colors in the rest of the house, but it helps the room feel light and airy. We bought all new towel bars, facuet, & lighting fixture in the brushed nickel, plus new tile in a "hazelnut color". We ended up with Moen in the towel bars and mirror fixtures, but the faucet was a Price Pfister. (I hope it last a while, I've never had that brand and I might change my mind!) DH even talked me into getting a new shower rod and hooks, all in a brushed nickel finish. I did buy a shower curtain in a really pretty burgendy, but with the pale gold, you can use a number of colors. The lighting fixture was from Home Depot and has 4 lights - WOW! The tile probably won't go in till after Christmas and I'm looking at a new toliet as well. A Kohler or something (I have a friend who sells plumbing fixtures - might talk to him about a faucet also).

So basically yesterday we painted the room, let it dry and hung everything up. If it wasn't for the same funky floor, it would be a totally new room!!

I don't have my camera right now, but I'll try and take some pictures soon and post. THANKS for all the help and input!!

Christy