SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wagnerpe

How hard/expensive is it to change cabinet color? Any experience

wagnerpe
11 years ago

Has anyone ever changed the color of your stained cabinets - not painted them, but re-stained them?

We are living in a space that is a little tight and getting tighter (surprise baby a couple of years ago - need I say more?). We're exploring all options: working with what we have, adding on to current house, maybe moving in a couple of years when we all start really banging into one another . . . nothing is imminent, but it is in the forefront of our minds.

Anyway, in looking at houses for sale, often I find a house I generally like, but, of course, there are things I would change. Most things are pretty easy to guesstimate as to a cost, but I have no idea about changing the color of cabinets. These houses are not "fixer-uppers"; I would not want to spend a ton to renovate the kitchen, that's for sure.

I've linked to an example. I like the house, but I don't like the color of the cabinets at all and don't think I could stomach paying all that money for a house and hate the kitchen cabinet color. I know the kitchen layout is not perfect, but I could live with it. If you scroll through the pictures, you'll see a bar area in the family room with the same/similar cabinets that are much darker. If the kitchen were this color, I'd be thrilled.

Is there a rule of thumb as to what this would cost? $X per cabinet or per square foot? Anyone with experience? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Estate Listing

Comments (4)