SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kles_gw

Granite Overhang support - does my plan work?

kles
11 years ago

I have read a tonne of similar posts, but none seem to apply specifically to my case...so here goes...

I have a granite island 54"x38" on a 30x24" base cabinet with 12" overhangs on 3 sides. The granite is a 1.25" thick slab and I am right on the fence of supported vs non-supported overhang from what I have read. I am considering adding some supports although I am alredy following the 2/3rds rule for cantilever 1.25" granite: 24" supported with a 12" overhang front to back and 30" supported with a 12" overhang side to side.

The granite will sit on the 3/8" inch furniture board edges which were reinforced with some 3/8" plywood on 3 sides. Due to the unbalanced overhang front to back, I planned to put a couple of L brackets on "3rd" side. These will be hidden and without gussets. Additionally,I thought of perhaps running 2 steel "strips" across to pick up the two side overhangs (as pictured).

1. Are the steel flatbars required? Or is it overkill to have one or both as pictured?

2. Is 1/4" steel appropriate for the brackets and flatbars? or would there be enough rigidity and support in 1/8" thickness?

3. Does a 3" wide vs 2" wide flatbar provide any greater strength, or is it just surface area contacting the granite at that point

4. The flatbars would sit on the cabinet edges which would be notched out to allow the steel to fit flush (i.e. I hadn't planned on adding a plywood top to the cabinets since it wouldnt have any middle support... is this ok?

5. My plan was to have the 1/4 steel stop 2" short of the edge (so theyd remain hidden), i.e. supporting 10" of the 12" overhang? Would I be ok with supporting only 8" of the 12" overhang?

6. Will the 3/8" cab edge + 3/8" plywood (on part of three sides) as a perimeter edge provide enough of a gluing edge for the granite?

Comments (11)