SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lacuisine_gw

should we ask for compensation?

lacuisine
15 years ago

Cabinets arrived with many imperfections, including black inky dots sprinkled over top edge drawer front, assorted pinprick sized black dots on door fronts, small chipping on top edges of some drawer fronts, one terrible horizontal filled line on one door. (These are high end cabs and not a company which has appeared yet on this site, so don't ask. I am waiting for resolution before i publish their name.) Our KD came over and said, NO problem, we will fix. THen the cabinet co wanted to send someone to see. Neither of us is home at the moment, so DH BOUGHT a plane ticket to go home and show him the damage. HE proposed replacing some items, and sending someone to do some "touchsanding" and "coloring " on the others, with the promise that IF we are still not happy, he will replace the items they tried to fix in the field. We agreed, but 2 days later the cab co inexplicably changed their tune. MEanwhile there has been much dithering and phone calls and emails, and hair pulling on our side. It is a long story but since then, the owner of the showroom has been "negotiating " with the Cab co owner, the KD telling me that the showroom is recommending / requesting replacements for all. This morning the KD called and said that she and the owner of the showroom plan to order new items and that they will absorb the cost if neccessary. SHe has been reiterating that they just want us to " be happy". We have not gotten so much as an apology from the cab co.

I understand that , with cabinet companies, S--T happens , and perhaps this is just part of the normal process. The cab guy, when he was at our house, told us that we are the .01 percentage customer who had such a bad result. SHould we be satisfied with brand new pieces (assuming the cab co can get it right this time!) Or are we entitled to some cash or freebies (drawer inserts?) for our time and aggravation???

Let me just say that the pieces which are NOT damaged are stunning and it appears that they ARE capable of quality construction and beautiful work.

thank you for your honest assessments.

LC

Comments (15)