SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmhmmgood_gw

compensation for pics meant for advertising?

mmhmmgood
11 years ago

I know variations of this question have been asked before, I've even read the threads. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the right search terms to find any of these previous threads for your collective wisdom on the subject so bear with me while I ask again. Even google is failing me at present.

I was prepared for my KD and GC to take photos of our project to use for their portfolios. No problem for me, I have appreciated their services greatly and feel that they deserve other people's business. If before and after photos of my house can help with that, I'm more than happy. It's kind of like my referral or endorsement for their expertise and the great work that was done. They are both small, independent operations and photos of my space won't be used outside of our city unless one of them moves.

But what about the lighting supplier? I've been in discussion with them, a reasonably large corporation serving many cities in Western Canada, about using photos of my house for their fall flyer. I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of compensation for such a thing. I'd be happy if they could find someone to fix the one d@#%ed light I can't get level no matter what I do (a cantilevered system where one side of one light out of six just refuses to hold...it's only a few mm but I see it all the time! Clearly TKO). I suppose I also get bragging rights ... not really my thing but of course it feels nice that someone else thinks my kitchen/dining room etc is beautiful! My DH (bless him) insists we should ask for more.

Should I expect more than just my good will and a tweak for me that will make their photos look nice? Is it different for a larger corporation to gain business from my space than one of the independent contractors who worked on it? I feel like it's different. I feel like the GC and KD and I all worked really hard on making our home what it is. I feel like the lighting supplier took our order, filled it, and profited from it. The sales person who helped me was great, she did help us with a few unexpected blips, but it's not anywhere near the amount of time or effort or soul the GC and KD poured into the project. And I'm not sure she really benefits directly from the increased business that the "fall flyer"brings in for them.

I'll ask them for a deal on any future purchases - I still need a few floor/table lamps and possibly some outdoor lighting next year. But should I ask for/expect something more? DH will want me to push as far as I can. Is monetary compensation unreasonable? And if it's not unreasonable how much are photos of my space worth?

This is so far out of my regular daily life and comfort zone, any experience or advise would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert