SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

How Long Did It Take You?

makeithome
13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Hubby and I have been in the house for 2 months now. And so far, almost nothing has changed. We still have the previous owners' paint choices up, we still have all the same furniture, we still have an empty living room. The only things we have accomplished so far are finding a dining room table, and hooking up a washer and dryer.

Last night, hubby and I sat on the couch and laughed at ourselves a little. Up until now, we both feel like we have been grasping to gain control of our daily routine. I keep falling behind with housework and other duties, he can't keep anything organized. We both feel like we are spinning our wheels. Neither one of us feels "settled" yet... we haven't developed a routine that works. I honestly thought we would have had better control by now... everything still feels very chaotic. Heck, you should see my linen closet... I still have a collection of random stuff in there that only resides there because we couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

I guess I have two questions: how long did it take you to be truly settled into your house after a move? Like, when did you feel like you had a routine that worked and you felt at home?

And how long did it take you before you had (at least much of the house) decorated to your taste? I know I am going to need to be patient and tackle the decorating one step at a time, but I feel like if I continue working at the pace I have been, 20 years from now I'll still have the PO's country pie border in the kitchen.

The longer I stay here with the previous owner's stuff, the more and more this place feels like a hotel instead of home. I would have expected time to do the opposite. I feel frustrated... is this normal? Or are my expectations too high?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH