SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

Interior pics - our historic fourplex conversion

lovetorenovate
16 years ago

I posted a couple days ago for some exterior ideas and someone ask for interior photos. we are getting there...

on the interior, it was a 4 unit apartment building, so we had to completely de-construct the inside (all the plaster, all the trim, all the insulation), down to just a shell. then we had to insert all sorts of structural beams (the orangey looking wood in the ceilings) to allow for the wall changes we wanted to make - for a more open floorplan, and a good flow. the beams were later disguised in coffered or tray ceilings for the most part.

I had hoped to save more (we filled 14 dumpsters! yikes) - but with the building code here - they don't recognize this as a residential project (anything more than 2 units is commercial) - so in this case, it's as if I were building a NEW house inside an old one - nothing is grandfathered as a normal remodel would be... i even had to alter many of the brick exterior window openings to meet current egress rules - which would never happen on a residential remodel.

here's a photo (the door on the left is into a small mudroom entry that we had not framed up yet):

{{!gwi}}

then it was on to insulation/ drywall/ trim /paint/ cabinets

this photo was taken from about the same point as the one above - looking from the dining room - through the pantry/mudroom area, into the kitchen and at the far wall is the living room (open to kitchen).

{{!gwi}}

here is the same rooms now with cabinets in place, but shot from the opposite direction - from the living room, into the kitchen, pantry/mudroom area and then the dining room (through the arches):

{{!gwi}}

right now my flooring guys are sanding and staining the hardwoods (we did save all the hardwoods and added more). the concrete guys are pouring the drive/walk/sidewalk areas. we've got granite and appliances coming next week - so not too much longer and we'll be done :) w00t!

i'm the general contractor on the project (well, i'm a licensed gc too) - but this will be our house. we are serial renovators, i started renovating my first house in 1997 and just loved it. my husband learned after the first that he really disliked it - but he was unable to deter me :) i have since left my job, gotten licensed, and had two little boys (1 & 4 yrs old). this is our 6th renovation, but the largest and most challenging project. i'm looking forward to getting to the decorating part... thanks for everyone's ideas and inspirations here. i've enjoyed lurking and seeing everyone's great projects!

Comments (12)