SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Seeking Inspiration Pics - Galley Kitchen Wall Treatments (Pics)

steph2000
12 years ago

Okay, so anyone who has been tracking my threads knows that I have been pondering layouts. The two top contenders have been a U-shaped kitchen and an L+Island. The last time I played around with it, I veered off into considering a galley.

There's things to like about the galley, including the symmetry and getting away from corner cabinets. I loved that in my renditions. It also fits all the must-haves, where the galley wall + island doesn't. It DOES mean putting the sink or the stove (I'd almost definitely go sink) on the peninsula part of the galley - which means having the range under the backsplash window. We know that's doable and works with our code, but I'm undecided about whether I want that.

The galley wall plus big chunky island is a great, great look. I love it. I just don't think I have the space to make the big chunky island, even if I leak into the LR.

So, for my application, we'd be talking more about a true galley kitchen, though one side would be opened up. When I think of galley kitchens, I either think of long, narrow, elegant kitchens that terminate with a door or nook or dining area or something interesting - or I think of outdated old kitchens with a dumb wall.

Here's a galley kitchen anyone could love, right?

traditional kitchen design by san francisco architect ACANTHUS Architecture & Design, San Francisco, CA

I'd take that kitchen if it was three times more narrow. lol

Given my galley would butt up to the wall, I don't want to end up with the dumb wall look. Or seem outdated.

So, I started goggling and houzzing and GW'ing, looking for galley kitchens that didn't look outdated and worked with what I'd have to work with. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a lot of inspiration.

Here's one painted a vibrant color, with no art work.

contemporary kitchen design by new york architect Architecture in Formation, P.C.

Or, if you prefer a white wall with a huge piece of art, I found this:

spaces design by dc metro interior designer Supon Phornirunlit / Naked Decor

And some people went to town with wallpaper:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~)

[eclectic kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~) by other metros architect elegueller arquitetos

[

traditional kitchen design by austin interior designer Gerrianne Russell, Cross Keys Designs

And, of course, there's always the shock of green coupled with TV in the kitchen approach:

[

contemporary kitchen design by dc metro architect NOA Architecture Planning Interiors

And, this one is actually a galley with an island, but I think it could translate to a galley with peninsula easily enough.

[

[contemporary dining room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~)

None of these are really grabbing me by the boo-boo. Not only are they not literal translations of a look I can totally get into, they are not sparking my creativity to take me there. So, I thought I'd share my research with the board and see if folks have anything to add to it. Anyone have any inspiration pictures of how the galley wall is treated so that it goes beyond liveable to inspiring? What do you think about galleys?

I'd love it if Boxerpups found this thread and found it a therapeutic distraction from her grief, but I'd love to spark conversation with the whole of you.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (41)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a great galley kitchen. I love the look of the door at the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: [houzz galley kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/vermont-danby-marble-phbr0lbl-bl~l_40662?fi=16)

• Related Discussions

Window Treatment Ideas? First Attempt at Pics

Q

Comments (3)
    Ooh, thank you KMC. That last fabric looks like it'd be perfect, colorwise. I realized after I went to bed last night that I hadn't looked on Smith & Noble for curtains while I was there for the blinds. I am going to check them out. Grommets are not for me, but maybe they'll have them in another style. I like the sofa pillows, too, and they are one of my options for the color scheme. My rug has all of the same colors, plus more, so I also have the option of using some of the rug colors and getting different pillows. The rug has a cherry red, an olive green and a blue that I also like. But since my kitchen is (bright) orange/red and you can see it from the living room, I thought keeping the orange/red going would be nice.
    ...See More

Window treatments for long wall of windows? Pics?

Q

Comments (11)
    I understand why you might want these, but honestly...I don't love this. Those windows are great, and since you need neither privacy nor light control, I think they should be left alone to allow them to "disappear" so you focus on the yard beyond. To me, curtains call attention to windows, not views. You're right, they have to be floor-length, which means they'll interfere with the couch. And the rads. When will you ever close these? When you move the couch? That said, we did the curtain track route in one of our rooms, across a 12-foot room. (the post with pictures is in my clippings.) If you get an unlined (we used sheer) drape, they stack back to practically nothing. And if you want to get super-crazy, you can drywall in the track to make it completely invisible. They definitely add softness to that room (our master), which is pretty much cool blues, whites, and angles. But we did it, in the end, for privacy. What about doing something else to add a warm and finished look to the windows? Like some lovely thick wood windowsills? I haven't googled or flickr'd around, but I think I might be more into something using wood to add something softer than white wall to that view. JMO, I know whatever you do will look gorgeous, you have great taste!
    ...See More

Selling house - will my galley kitchen hurt me? Pics inside!

Q

Comments (57)
    maxibella, the short answer on standard numbers of open houses is: there aren't any set standards. the longer answer is: IF you have an aggressive Realtor, open houses should be something they look forward to. The down side is- due to both Buyer and Seller agents, the sitting OH Realtor loses much control of the Open House. Buyers waltz through stating "they" have a Realtor, and whomever is hosting the Open's hands are tied. The listing Agent must follow up with the Buyer's Agent and well, it's the follow up on not only OH's but showings that grades a Realtor. OH's are great for hungry start up Realtor's so,,,,have as many as you can. It says Nothing about being desperate; let no Realtor ever state that. OH's benefit Realtors....period. Why? because unfortunately Open's normally won't bring the sale, but they can offer potential Buyers to the sitting Realtor. which brings me to igloochic :) I was hoping you'd respond because you are normal. Isn't that great to hear!? On a broad sense it's true that we humans make lists of likes and dislikes and then we compromise. see,,, normal. so, when it comes to buying that largest purchase most of us will ever make,,,,at decision time all kinds of priorities change. you like me won't buy that Bi-Level, but we might just settle on baseboard heat. ha-ha you get my point. best to both of you.
    ...See More

Desparately Seeking Help With Family Room (lots of pics)

Q

Comments (75)
    Virtuals are unmatched for letting you think through color patterns in the room, proportions and the things like this-- the final placement. My opinion is based on your comment that you don't need the chair-- I would move forward with the room with only a single chair for now. Since the dimensions of your bookcase won't change-- all you'd need to do to add a chair is to slide the bookcase and perhaps by an end table. (BTW I have seen the narrow profile end tables somewhere less expensive than EA-- plow and hearth, maybe?). If you find the *perfect* chair in the next few months, Squirrels virtuals show you that you can fit one in. My biggest fear for you is that both the kitchen and FR will look furniture heavy. Having the kitchen table/chairs right there is influencing my opinion-- and they aren't visible in the virtuals. Also, it makes for a mucky path to the bathroom if the whole family is watching tv together. I think your plan to check with the store that had the ET custom made for you is a great plan. Hopefully they will come in with a decent price. I'd still like to see it in a darker finish to give you some visual interest but matching would be lovely too. I too have seen the Macy's pieces and they were solid wood (though I don't know if it was veneer on wood) and seemed to be well made. I do not think it would be a bad option for you-- other than the fact that it may not work for your photo albums. Maybe you can throw one in a tote bag and try it out on the floor? Just more of my continued 2 cents. I guess I am up to a dime now ;)
    ...See More
  • boxerpups
    12 years ago

Oh Steph2000, you are too sweet.
    Here are a few more. Yes, I love the distraction.
    ~bp

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I picture your kitchen being like this one (from Boxerpups!) except with a wall at the end of it and a bigger distance between cabinets. And a super-cool backsplash window. And an overhang. And cabinets that don't look like A/C coils (what's up with that?). It'll look great!

I think the reason you don't see many pictures of kitchens that terminate with a wall is that they probably take the photograph from where the wall is. Does that make sense? In about half of BP's pictures I can picture it terminating just behind the photographer. You could put some sort of big interesting clock on the wall and it would be useful and decorative.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woohoo, Boxerpups. Thanks for chiming in.

All of those lovely pictures - and NOT ONE has the "dumb wall". Unless, of course, the wall has a beautiful window or door... Should I take that as a sign that it is just outdated to have a galley kitchen in a layout like mine?

Are there any current galleys out there with the wall that a) exist and b) can inspire me, I wonder... You are right, darrelectric - the last one in my original post is the closest so far, but I dunno. Just not really doing it for me.

To remind everyone, here's what I'd be working with at my home:

Hm...wonder if it is possible to put chunky shelves up in the middle of the wall or something?

• sochi
    12 years ago

I assume you don't want to incorporate that area into the kitchen making it a U (corners). Here are a few neat ideas, not all galley kitchens, but I think you could incorporate these ideas into your galley.

Just the unit with the plates

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-makeover-traditional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~20469)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by san francisco interior designer K & M Designs

Blackboard chalk paint?

Same, but with shelves

This one ain't pretty, but you could do a similar idea in a more pleasing manner:

This would be cool:

Shallow shelving:

I'd choose a fabulous wallpaper myself... good luck.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gah...my long reply was just eaten. Bleh, that bothers me immensely.

Mpagmom - Had to laugh at your description of the kitchen that is just like mine except in all the ways it is nothing like mine. Especially the wall. It's all about the wall. lol I see what you were saying, though don't you think that kitchen would look a whole lot different with the wall?

I think those ac thingies on the island are actual heat fin. We've been trying to figure out what to do with heat now that we got rid of our forced air and I want to use every square inch of exterior wall space in the kitchen/DR for cabinets, sliding doors, fridges and pantries. *cough* We are seeing islands being heated with fin - and even fin/piping attached to the fridge cabinet. It doesn't always look this industrial, but it doesn't leave one with that 'momma's kitchen' feel in any instance.

And, if it true that they never take the photograph to show the 'dumb wall', then it really validates the term. I'd really like to see that wall, if it exists. I think with many galleys, the kitchen seems to be a passageway from one part of the house to another, too.

Sochi - Loving the dish inset and the chunky shelves. I could see myself with something like either one of those, potentially. I'm also not opposed to wallpaper, though I don't know much about them as I tend to be wallpaper aversive and the wallpapers I like often seem very trendy. If I could find one I could live with long-term, I wouldn't rule that out.

And, no, I haven't ruled out a U or a L+island by any means. This galley idea just came last in the on-going brainstorming/headbanging about layout, which I have really been struggling with. I'm entertaining whether I can live with 'the wall'.

What I like about the galley is that it is symetrical, allows larger cabinets/drawers and gets me away from the corner cabinets. The L would require a smallish island - and the U would require 2 corner, a narrow aisle and smaller cabinets.

I'm in a tiny house and we are taking out the wall that separates the kitchen from the entry/LR. I've been struggling so much I actually considered not taking down the wall, but that kind of defeats the purpose of putting in the backsplash window we just put in the kitchen and the whole idea of remodeling the house to play to the greenbelt in the backyard that is a large part of why we stay.

I'll give you a link to the prior thread so you can see the layouts we've considered. I am totally open to feedback, or a smack alongside the head at this point. I'm hoping that once we tear the wall down, I'll find it easier to visualize and get excited about what we are doing again...

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout Discussion (L versus U)

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just remembered these wine/entertainment shelves from Pottery Barn a saw a while back. Something like this might even be workable.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1990010}}

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I loved all these kitchen pictures! I would not mind a galley kitchen at all as long as there was room on the side of it for a kitchen table or it was open to the dining room and then open to the family room. I really loved the big tiles in one room but have learned to install a big tile requires a very level floor.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I was looking for a picture I've seen that is similar to the plate rack, but I can't find it now. In the meantime, I found some others. I don't love any of them, but made with different materials, they could be great!

If you don't have plumbing in that wall you could do something like this:

or this (without the outlet and not as deep):

or this:

Or here is another idea:

You would make it cooler, of course.

• sochi
    12 years ago

On wallpaper - you may not have to worry about living with it long term. It doesn't look like it would be a huge space to paper, so probably not very expensive. You could re-paper or paint in a couple of years (if needed).

The more I reflect, I really like the plate rack recessing into the wall. You don't have to display plates. Antique glass would be lovely displayed there too, or small paintings, etc.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hm... You guys seem to be liking the recessed niche idea, too. That would be helpful as I don't want something jutting out into the aisle or bumping into the cabinet space. However, that is actually a plumbing wall, now that you mention it. The bathroom sink is right behind what would be the center of the aisle.

Sochi - What kind of wallpaper do you think would be appealing on a wall like that?

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

OK, I'm getting a little silly now, but when I was looking for a picture I googled "kitchen niche" and now all I can think about is the Knights Who Say "Ni!" (my mind is a very mysterious place...)

I guess that shows that it's been a long week!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Knights Who Say Ni!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

If you wanted to do staggered shelves you could also stagger them part way over the right hand counter (the one with the sink) or instead of doing a recessed opening like mpagmom showed in her pics where it is vertical between the two counters, you could do it horizontal and have it go over part of the right hand counter. It would just be a little different.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, mpagmom! Mysterious places are generally where I want to hang out, so to speak, so that works!

blfenton - I can't believe I'm in the world of niches. Usually I find niches awkward and think the things people put there are silly. *cough* I did like the recessed plate rack idea, but again, not sure that works given the plumbing wall. I can ask my partner and watch him stare at me and ask me if I want a kitchen in 2012 or 2022.

Sort of going with your staggered shelf idea, now I am wondering if something like those PB shelves over the peninsula counter of the wall would work - coupled with a big clock or artwork for the aisle area. I don't want things in the way, that's for sure.

And all of this assumes that I go with a galley kitchen, which I am still not at all sure is the way I should go. I'm just entertaining this galley thing to see what I could do with it. Either here, or on other threads now or in the future when that wall comes down, I'm sure the 'which layout' discussion is far from over...

Maybe it is time to research wallpaper...

• cosmo_nj
    12 years ago

It's just a flesh wound.

Steph, how about a trump l'oeil of a door or window?

• sochi
    12 years ago

I will look for some wallpaper.

For some totally out of the box thinking, do you like plants? If you have water and electricity on the other side of the wall, you could get an automatically irrigated living wall (or green wall). Plant tropicals that don't need much light and install overhead sconces to provide some artificial light for the plants.

I have a large one in my dining room (just like the first picture), planning another that I will build myself in my master bath (that project is still a couple of years off).

If you don't like plants, what about a fountain? You've got the water in the wall already. There are loads of these around, traditional and modern - although the traditional ones tend to be a little chunkier. Too over the top maybe?

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Plumbing is a bummer.

How about a mirror that looks like a window?

And definitely get yourself some of those things in front of the first mirror. The Knights Who Say Ni will like those better than a shrubbery!

• sochi
    12 years ago

Okay, it is tough to look for wallpaper as I don't know what colours you like, what influences you want to bring into the space, etc. You also don't have to wallpaper the entire wall, consider framing wallpaper in a tall rectangular frame like art - even easier/cheaper to replace if you get tired of it. Check out Graham&Brown for some nice wallpaper ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wallpaper

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Steph, you can still do the dish niche (say that three times fast!), it just won't be able to go as low as the one in the inspiration pic. You can also place it above the peninsula, not centered on the aisle. Anyhoo, don't discount the dish niche idea yet.

But I can also see that wall painted a fabulous accent color with some wonderful art. You could do a combination of mirrors that look like windows, art and plates or stick with art. I love original art so I'd encourage you to go that way. You don't have to spend a fortune (we haven't) and you can always mix originals with reproductions (among our display of original artwork in the FR is a Van Gogh reproduction. The real thing is just a wee bit - okay, way more than just a wee bit ;-) - beyond our means).

Or you could display a collection of items such as antique trays like this:

{{gwi:1990066}}

Don't center the display on the aisle, either. Make a statement and use that whole wall so that you have a nice view from your banquette.

If you make to make the wall functional, look for the wine bottle holders that hold the wine sideways. Let me see if I can find a pic.... Like this

You could pair it with wine glass holders like this:

I'll bet your handy partner can make a really cool version of each, perhaps with an arty swoop and in some fancy wood or painted a fun color.

(Got the giggles over "knights who say Ni" and "it's just a flesh wound." We love ridiculous, irreverent British humor in this house.)

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I guess you've decided on the galley kitchen? What happened to the idea of an island? The reason I say that is the one thing I don't like about the galley in your design is that there is just one way in/one way out. If you pulled the peninsula away from the wall that would give you another entrance to the kitchen.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

A few more galley kitchens with only one wall.

~bp

Turning the galley into a modified U

Creating the island

(Here is another view of one of your kitchens and you
    can see that it is indeeda little different because of
    the direction the picture was taken, Not really a galley)

A few more of galley but some have a window at the end.

• mgreenman
    12 years ago

Steph, I've been following along with your discussion here and am loving all the wonderful feedback your getting! I agree with your decision to go with the galley layout. I think it'll work wonderfully and esp. love how it mirrors your backsplash window (that's what I'm calling it. Fantastic!) As for your end wall, I was going to suggest a chalk board, too. Otherwise, I second the suggestion for something organic. Saw a herb garden made out of a lattice-fronted box. Wish I had a picture, but it looked something like this: {{gwi:1990071}}From For Steph 2000

Or another approach would be organic/architectural. How about a shelf like this: {{gwi:1990072}}From For Steph 2000
    --M

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning. I'm up and sipping my first sip of coffee while I ponder pictures and feedback and how my loquacious posts seem to create confusion. Thanks so much for all the responses!

Sochi - Love the living wall, and actually was lurking when you shared yours with GW. I think I even made a clipping of it. I'm not the best with plants, but I do love them. Always loved the idea of an inside fountain somewhere, too, though not sure how the cats would be with it. For the kitchen, though, I'm concerned about how far both would jut out into the kitchen (also pondering that in terms of shelves, even) and whether they might be 'over the top' in terms of making that wall such a focal point? The DW would be on one end of the run and the pan drawers on the other and it really would have to be usable space right up to the wall for the galley to work. Went wallpaper shopping and liked some of the organic and tone on tone options - thanks for the link!

mpagmom - Thought of mirrors first off - the questioned if I really wanted to be looking at myself while I go for coffee in the morning. lol The paned options you posted would be far BETTER in that regard but still sort of iffy on mirror in the kitchen. (Those finials are perfect for the Knights of Ni touch, though! I promise, I'll find a way to work them in!)

lisa a - Talked to partner this morning about the dish niche and he said that he's not sure what can be done, if anything there. That is the main plumbing wall and so there's a pipe that goes up through the roof where the peninsula counter would be and the center of the wall has the bathroom sink plumbing pipes, which go at least 6 inches up past the sink. Until we break into the wall, we won't know for sure what's possible, but a niche is not looking feasible necessarily. Sort of bummer, though, as I thought it would be great for cookbooks as well as plates or whatnot. I have a hard time visualizing one looking right in the space we might have available to do that between plumbing things.

In terms of making it functional, I still kinda like the PB shelves, though likely not in the aisle, but over the counter.

I like them well enough not to give my partner another project, if we went that way. If we can do a niche, on the other hand, I'll make him work for it. lol

mercymygft - I certainly haven't ruled out a L+island or a U. This post and the one I linked to actually says that several times. All I am trying to do here is see if I can find a way to aestetically feel good about a galley, given that wall space it would leave me with. I'm nowhere NEAR making a decision on layout.

That run you want to pull away from the wall has the DW, sink, garbage pullout and 24" cabinet for a microwave pullout. So, what would you take away from that run to create the island and where would that go?

The galley idea actually flowed from trying to make a bigger island by getting rid of the L to allow for it - which didn't work in my space. Because I love the idea of an island. The problem with it, though, is a) justifying 2 entries into a kitchen on a 10 foot wall, basically b) the island would have to be quite small and c) it doesn't really go great with the BS window and can't be centered to relate to it unless I find a way to SOMEHOW make a galley + chunky island work in my space and the consensus is that I can't. (All of that is on the thread I linked to if you are interested in seeing my attempts)

The bottom line question in regards to an island is: Does a kitchen my size in a house my size really allow the luxury of 2 generous walkways into the kitchen? That 42-42ish inches is the equivalent of a microwave cabinet and garbage pullout, for example. Or my 36" pots and pans drawer plus some. I guess the reverse question is: "Is it really such a big deal to walk another 6 feet to get into a kitchen my size? People also occasionally make the comment that a peninsula is preferable given the kitchen will be connected/open to the entry and LR area. If you have thoughts on any of these quandries, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'll register your vote for an island - but the specifics are something I really need input on.

Boxerpups - Great photos. I like that brick wall. Hm. I guess that's another idea, to put up a stacked stone or brick or something? And, the power of photography is so amazing - things look so different from different angles. That alternative view of the picture looks so different in the shot you found of it. It still gives a bit of a glimmer of what a galley + peninsula could look like, though, yes? Too bad you didn't come up with any shots of 'the wall' handled in a non-dumb way. It really does seem most people just put cabinetry on the wall and go with a U or L or something else, which validates my concerns.

mgreenman - Thanks so much for chiming in! It's great to know some are following along here in this saga and will eventually chime in! I appreciate the accolades on the backsplash window, which is turning into a huge design consideration as I attempt to pull this together! Too late to turn back on that now, so I gotta make it work!

If you haven't gathered as much already, I'm still undecided on this galley idea. That wall is stumping me. I love the organic herb wall that you showed. Those slatted wood applications are so neat, I always like them. I just really don't know about the feasibility of creating and upkeeping something that organic and there is NOTHING sadder than limping plants. That chunky shelf is very, very cool, though...

Hm..that somehow gets me wondering about whether propping/hanging a bamboo ladder for dishtowels could work.

Chalkboard is interesting, I just always experience it as MESSY when I see it and think about cleaning it. My kitchen surfaces do get, well, spattery sometimes. I can't imagine how chalkboard cleans up?

It would so behoove me to learn to be brief and succinct in my responses, but that is such an unrealistic expectation first thing in the morning - and I really did want to respond to each person personally. So, just to be clear (and to practice, now that I have a cup of coffee in me):

1 - Layout still undecided
    2 - Purpose of this thread is to seek out inspiration pics of galley kitchens that have a wall like mine would have
    3 - Backsplash window is in and can't be changed (this comes up eventually with every thread I write, so I am going to be pre-emptive)
    4 - All feedback on galleys and layout appreciated
    5 - Extra points for humor but blunt feedback is better than no participation

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

well, this is not a functional idea like the vertical wine rack or shelves or even the niche which at least you wouldn't bump into. With that off-putting intro :/ , how about a fake window framing a big print of the greenway that you like for your view? Very DIY

Or backlit onyx or mica (not sure if these warm colors would work in your white kitchen?) and not DIY.

Maybe these will help decide at least on what you *don't* want!

cheers

• sochi
    12 years ago

If you like the living wall idea, you could get one with smaller plants and no reservoir. This would require some plumbing work if you want it automatically irrigated (and therefore very easy to maintain).

I like the herb garden, but I'm not sure you will have enough light there for herbs. Tropicals can manage better in low natural light with some artificial.

• gwgin
    12 years ago

If you want the dish rack and can not use the plumbing wall, you could build the wall out with 2 x 4s creating a sort of 2nd wall in front of the existing one and insert the dish rack into it. Most wall plate/tray racks are only about 3+ inches deep.
    I also have seen something similar where someone had turned an old ironing board cubby into a plate rack. Again, It was only about 3 inches deep.
    Sorry no pictures.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, mtnfever. Both interesting ideas! Photography of the greenbelt is actually something I might be able to do, either there or somewhere else in the house.

Sochi - Good point about herbs versus tropicals. The idea of herbs is great in a kitchen, but they do seem to need heat and light. I love plants, but there's nothing sadder than dying ones and I'm just not the greenest thumb on the planet. Also, I have health issues and need to try to make myself go as low maintenance as possible.

gwgin - Thanks for the idea of building out for the niche. I'm not sure that's something we can afford to do, given how premium space is in this house, every square inch. We'll have to see what happens when we tear into that wall, but I probably need to decide if I can live with a galley without a niche.

I'm going to keep searching for the elusive galley wall treatment and ponder the possibilities. Thanks for your input, everyone.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I have this saved from GW to put something like it in our house somewhere, someday.

If you do not want wallpaper, you can try stencils for an accent wall.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I was looking through your various plans again, and regardless of what goes on the wall, the galley gets my vote because it looks the best from the front door. Form over function? Maybe, but I don't care.

I had to share this "lovely" galley from a BH&G slideshow. It doesn't technically end at the wall since there is a door to the right, but I wanted to show you how they decorated the wall with a light switch. Stunning, really.

This is a more helpful picture. Have you considered a countertop-to-ceiling cabinet (like the one on the left below) on the open side of the galley?

Then you wouldn't have that much space on the wall and you could fill it with a big clock or a light switch.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo - Oh, for the love of a niche, right? I like that one, and it looks handy with the phone, calendar, etc. Hm...something to think about for a non-plumbing wall in a small house like mine, yes? And yes, stenciling would certainly be an alternative to wallpaper. Especially because the wallpaper I would want might well look like stenciling, and it makes changing it out so much easier.

Mpagmom - It is spooky how much our minds think alike. I've been staring at the various layouts in that thread since I last posted. The galley does have a really nice symmetry, visible from the front door/LR. It also allows for MUCH bigger drawers/cabinets - and fewer of them. The L and the U both require a lot of little cabinets. I need to go back over my inventory and see if there's a spot for everything.

That galley wall fridge-36" drawers-9" pullout-range-9" pullout-36" drawers. And that's it, with 2 36" uppers above and the stove cabinets/hood. I'm trying to figure out if I could manage for those stove cabinets to be glass and still hide the vent for the fan/hood. It is also 48" worth of stove cabinets with a 30" range. Obviously, I don't need a 48" hood, but I like how that area above the range is opened up... I'm not sure what the heck could be done to make that all work.

Now it is feeling like it is between the galley and the L+island. The U is losing major ground, in comparison to the galley. I do keep trying to imagine doing dishes as I look into the LR, which I'm not mad crazy about. If I did the L, I am leaning towards including the pantry. It would be just so functional. My partner and I were talking about how much we hate the little cubby of counter between the right of the stove and the fridge, though, and it would kinda recreate that. It is a perpetual clutter magnet in our current kitchen. Circles, circles...

BUT! Your idea to bring that cabinet down might just be brilliant. Hm...I wonder if that would be a place for the microwave and toaster, potentially? Maybe not the microwave, it seems like the access would be awkward. I'll have to play with the plans and see if I can make the program work with that. But, do you think it would work with a peninsula? In the picture you posted, it's tucked into a corner.

Yes, and that would leave that middle area of the wall for a gallery of light switches. That is so brilliant. I know they went with the minimal look in the inspiration pic you posted, but imagine an entire gallery of light swithes for the undercabinet lighting, pendants, can lights, chandelier, sconces, etc, etc, etc. I'd be the envy of the neighborhood! ;)

PS - That inspiration pic is scary squared - because the cabinets appear to be tinted both yellow AND pink. Or they mixed it up and included both. With a gray accent wall and counter. *shiver*

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...before work.

Couldn't find a big clock - or anything big and round. So, I put a tiny clock up, saving room for the outlets.

And, I thought of another idea, if I want something with some purpose and don't mind the clutter - a narrow pot rack.

Galley with mpagmom's cabinet:

View from DR:

Here I am doing my dishes...lol

(Do you think I should work to find more inches for a sink? Right now it is in a 30" base - with a 21" silverware drawer and an 18" garbage pullout and 24" cabinet for the microwave)

And, while we are at it, the view from the kitchen into the dining room, which is another tricky part I should stop ignoring. These plans RELY on a separate place for food storage as well as things like crockpots, blenders, etc. The problem is there is a fireplace and mantle in that room, on the blank wall opposite the sliding doors. I'm really not sure how to make that pantry on the left side of the banquette work with that.

Thoughts?

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Yes, I have thoughts. Thinking is the very best way to procrastinate!

You could put a little bookcase or cabinet to the right of your stools facing the entry room and make the cabinet above it a little wider.

You can also possibly combine the sink/trash to allow a bigger sink:

and

I don't know if you can do it with all cabinets, but I know you can with Ikea. I'll post a thread from last year in case you're interested. That would allow you a 36" sink cabinet, a 24" microwave cabinet, and 33" for the remaining cabinet.

If you don't like having recycling/trash under the sink you could have a 36" sink cabinet with a recycling pullout under it and a 12" single trash pullout in the same space you have your sink/trash in now.

When you get closer to a final design, you should ask Buehl to comment on it because she'll know how to make it great. Maybe she has already and I don't remember it.

Your pictures look really lovely! Will the ignored fireplace fit in?

Here is a link that might be useful: Under Sink Trash Pullout

• leia_in_lalaland
    12 years ago

Tillandsias or tillandsiae (?) don't need a trough, despite the fact this image shows a copper/metal trough.

Or there are tillandsia wall bubbles (depending on your design) -

Or hanging tillandsia terrariums:

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

This site is one of my current obsessions. I could see one of these amazing large botanical posters on that end of galley wall

Here is a link that might be useful: Large botanical posters

• leia_in_lalaland
    12 years ago

A few thoughts -

Example: "Following in the footsteps of The Kitchen, Ella Dining Room & Bar (opened 9/2007) is a fine dining, splurge-worthy establishment without any pretenses. The elegant, airy and bright dining area is an interior designers dream come true, boasting a ceiling and back wall covered in reclaimed shutters," (CBS Local - November 2011)

or

or

• leia_in_lalaland
    12 years ago

Shelves/Storage

• leia_in_lalaland
    12 years ago

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mpagmom - So glad I can help you procrastinate! I always have something for you to think about, if you are in need with your own list of things to ponder. Thanks for including the link/pics to the garbage under the sink. I'm open to the idea of garbage or recycling under the sink - or both. I think I'm going to need to decide if I want a 30" with a single bowl or if I want to keep the double sink and go back up to 36". One thing I've been pondering is the location of the sink on the peninsula run and that cabinet being right next to it. Things can get splashy, but I also benefit from counter space on both sides of my sink. Hm...

lisa0527 - That website is fascinating, though some parts of it are creeping me out. The botanicals are cool, though.

leia_in_lalaland (Love your name!) - Wow, you went to town, and I really appreciate it. Those plants are so unique, I need to look into that more. For some reason, they reminded me of the plant shelves I posted a pic of below. I stuck that in one of my files several months back now, while researching Sochi's living wall.

I really like the shelves, but I'm just not sure I can afford to have something that comes out into the aisle. Unless it was high up and didn't interfer with opening the upper cabinet. Floating shelves are one of my favorite things.

The picture 6 up from the bottom is also fascinating. It seems they stuck a very narrow upper across the galley wall. I wonder how far that extends. I imagine there's no uppers on the left side, either. It looks very practical and seems not to interfer with the use of the peninsula.

The shutters, though, are also intriguing - that pic that shows a set of grayed out shutter doors, especially. I could have a faux door after all. lol

Hm..and the tin reminds me of a piece I have in the entry. It hangs coats right now, but could hang towels, I guess. It's a piece of architectural salvage with hooks on it. I'll have to go stare at that... lol

Thanks so much, everyone.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Hey Steph- I've been following your posts since the beginning and I'm glad you're leaning toward the peninsula/galley instead of the island. I like that symmetry better with the window backsplash. What about some spice shelves or something like that? They would be narrow and wouldn't get in the way.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I somehow missed leia's shutter pictures before. Definitely put two door-sized shutters there with casing around them so you can laugh at your guests who try to figure out how to open the door. Party fun!

I seriously love the wall covered with blue and green shutters, though.