SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Desparately Seeking Help With Family Room (lots of pics)

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I just can't seem to get it together with this room and need some help putting it all together. I apologize in advance if this post seems redundant as I've brought up various aspects on my decorating this room before, yet I feel I lack a cohesive vision for this room and then one piece just causes a problem as I go to select the next piece.

This morning I moved all the stuff out that I plan to get rid of with the exception of the maple chair and small bookcase which I left in to give a sense of scale on that wall. The two different end tables are more to give a sense of size than to be kept. The drum table is 26" round (and everyone wants to keep it in the LR, plus it doesn't match my ent. console) and pie crust table is 20" round.

My needs as I see them: 1-2 end tables, a larger bookcase, a larger rug and possibly a different ottoman. Please ignore all wall decor and any decorating around the TV console (that will be phase two once I put the bones in place).

I've already picked out the rug, though am waiting for it to show up on CL since I've seen it there for sale many times. It's the Karastan multi-panel Kirman in either 8x10 or 10x12: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=125286&CategoryID=37127

Here are the pics:

smaller end table (20" round)

{{gwi:1813409}}

larger end table (26" round)

{{gwi:1813411}}

TV wall (moved plant, little dark table will go once cable work is done):

{{gwi:1802931}}

Bookcase wall:

{{gwi:1813414}}

I'd like a bookcase of the dimensions where the sticky tape is. Should it be centered under the transom or ?? This is where I get stumped. If I center it then I do not have room for an end table to the right of the sectional, yet I feel like one should be there--esp. if I use the ottoman pictured. I could get a larger ottoman that has a flip top serving tray, but those are longer (about 12" I think) and I'm concerned that'd be too large.

I really don't know what size/shape will work best for the end tables and if I need one or two. Also if the end table(s) should match with the bookcase or not.

I've already got a lot of the wood look going on as FR is open to kitchen:

{{gwi:1813416}}

and have been thinking how to break it up. I've found a bookcase that I like that is cream and maple, but the description says it's french country (squirrel, at least it's new though:)). Given that I am decorating challenged I need you folks to tell me if "french country" works here or not. What I like most about it is the size and the wood tones--not necessarily the beadboard/bottom scrolly stuff (which is where i wonder if it goes or not). There are end tables as part of the collection, though am not sure if they work or not. Other thought is to do black, but as I want a larger bookcase, I'm wondering if that'll be too much black. I'm finding most of the bookcases I like with a bottom drawer, glass doors and the size I want are from Home Decorators. Does anyone know about the quality of their merchandise?

Here is the bookcase in maple/cream:

{{gwi:1813417}}

Here it is in black, though I don't much care for it:

{{gwi:1813418}}

I am open to black as well, but think it should have simplier lines like the Hampton Bay bookcase from my earlier thread. I suspect the wood won't match with what I have now. If I could find this in either the maple/cream combo. or black I'd buy it in a heart beat.

{{gwi:1813419}}

Not really at all sure about the end tables in the collection, though:

{{gwi:1813420}}

{{gwi:1813421}}

Comments (75)

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are a few thoughts to maximize what you have. You're heading in the right direction but the room still needs a little tweaking.

Consider mounting your tv on the wall since family is pleased with its current location. Use the cabinet as the base of a bookcase unit under the transoms. A carpenter can easily build a shelving unit to match, probably for less than all the units you're considering, none of which are exactly the right size or style to coordinate with your existing look. The channel selector can stay in the storage base or, if your husband still thinks it needs more ventilation, be placed on a shelf and you'll need a magic eye or some wireless transmitter to attach to the tv in order to be able to use just one remote. The cable can be channeled through the wall fairly easily with a flexible drill bit.

Definitely pull your pretty side table and the sectional away from the wall at least 6", and while it's usually good to have the rug go under the front legs of a sofa, you need to pull the rug out a lot more more to help anchor the space. You may still need a much larger rug but this will help open the space in the interim so everything is not so crammed against the rear windows. You can add a swivel club chair -- perhaps two if they're small enough, in a color complementary to the damask chair, in front of the "new" bookcase and bathroom door. If two fit, add the 2nd antique table between them or if only one chair works place the 2nd table next to the chair toward the kitchen. A floor lamp between the chair and the bookcase might be nice. Consider a large round ottoman, in a lighter, warmer toned leather to withstand abuse, for use as a coffee table. Add a few softer patterned pillows.

Please reconsider a rug under the kitchen table. I'd probably get a traditional looking synthetic and not a wool rug because of the kids which can always be upgraded as they mature. A rechargable carpet sweeper is just as easy as a broom. That and a new tablecloth will give your whole area a lift.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funky: I love that red cabinet by Crate & Barrel. Alas it's too tall. :( I need to cap it at 60"H. Thanks for sharing it though as I didn't think of Crate & Barrel. I don't know where the energy is coming from tackling both the office and family room at the same time; but I know I want them both done (as far as the furniture) by Nov. I'm trying not to rush into ordering anything--just letting the ideas all gel in my mind. Both these rooms have heavy usage unlike my LR/DR where I could go for just the right look and they also have the challenge of intergrating electronics with the decor which presents it's own set of challenges.

squirrel; Thanks for taking the time to post some additional choices as I know you are busy. That is the best location for the sofa we have determined to get the most seating. We had it swaped before with the ent. center, but seating was too cramped. Once I do the floorplan I think that will become clearer and my focus is really what to do with the right half of the transom wall and select the end table(s), coffee table/ottoman and bookcase. The plan is to merge the contents of the two oak bookcases into one (offload some books if necessary into the new built-in office I'm also designing) which is why I lean towards a larger one along the lines of the Kathy Irland piece. My budget here is actually a bit larger (I spend my $$ where I need to--notice this is why I choose not to on the bedroom chair). There are so many constraints with the space and a function/need that has to be addressed that it justifies the expense if I can find a well constructed piece that fits in the room. Before choosing a piece, though, it's be helpful to know your thoughts regarding the size, placement and finish. Do I do tall/narrow in the right corner or centered under the right transom window? Some felt (and I concur) there is already enough medium toned wood in the room between the flooring and furniture and I should go for a painted look. Black seems to be the majority opinion, though I'd consider cream and that red piece that funky posted is TDF (drat it does not fit).

Funky also posted another interesting thought about doing a shorter piece--which I assume could then double up as a convenient place to set drinks in lieu of an end table. I wonder though if it would work to have another piece of furniture roughly the same dimensions as the ent. console in the same room?

I was out tonight, but I'm going to work on the dimensions.

• Related Discussions

Seeking ideas for privacy on downward sloping lot (pic)

Q

Comments (10)
    Unless there's vegetation at the border of your property that can't be seen in the photo, I believe developing a fine shrub border should be your goal. If you think along these lines, you'll be considering a variety of conifers, deciduous, spring, summer, fall interest plants. I also think adding some great grasses would be fun, and children would enjoy them , too. If you design with family in mind, your youngster(s) could enjoy nooks you create with your vegetation. What I'm saying is spend some time making a plan that reflects all your goals: a sense of privacy or "real" privacy (a mixed border vs. a row of evergreens). Are you going to stay in this house "forever" or for 5 years? That makes a difference in your expenditures and whether you are gardening for resale value or primarily for esthetics and your pleasure. Lots of places will do a plan for free if you buy the plants. However, usually you'll get only the most commonplace plant suggestions that includes what they carry in stock. If you decide to "plan" in more detail, let us know and we can be more expansive with our ideas. There are people who have already responded to your post that know nearly every shrub that grows.
    ...See More

Need LOTS of ideas/help gathering space Lots of Pics

Q

Comments (3)
    What a gorgeous home! And I LOVE the fabric. If the chairs are good quality and comfortable, I'd definitely do it. Twelve yds is probably not enough for four chairs, but people has posted examples here of mixing fabrics on chairs, and it can look great. For example, use the japan-inspired fabric on the backs of chair, and use another fabric for heavy-use cushions and inside back. Once you add a coffee table and rug, I think the scale will look more reasonable. Re: bar for six, you could roughly double the depth of the bar and add a seat at either end. Of course, that would involve some cost, but not much if choose e.g. wood as the top piece. Depending on how much room you need to walk behind the bar, you might even be able to do something larger, with a curve to it.
    ...See More

help picking new chairs for family room (pics)

Q

Comments (16)
    Johnatemp, I don't get a picture of a chair , just two little red x's. That seems to happen to me a lot, not sure why. I do like that chair that you included inside the message. I think that would look really nice in the room. The first fabric you posted looks like it would work, depending of course on how it looked IRL. I did try the Bombe chest centered in front of the window and I think it does look nice. I put the bergere chair in the corner where the chest was. If I left it this way, I'd need to slide the sofa down or rearrange the other end of the room, but it is definitly something I'll keep in mind. This is the hardest room for arranging furniture.!!
    ...See More

Family Room Help! - Pics

Q

Comments (42)
    I read and learn from these forums more than I post. But I had to smile when I saw the rug you chose, because I bought the White Ice color version for our living room a few months ago! It is funny, because I would have likely skimmed right over it while surfing website photos. But I found mine in a Home Goods store and the colors and pattern appeared to be perfect for our LR. My style has changed radically since we bought our house and I was not sure of the reaction of the rest of the family. But everyone loves this rug. Even the interior designer that was here for our shutters asked where I found it. While checking online to see if my purchase was at a good price, I saw your White Nickel version and loved it, too. HomeNoobie, I think you are going to love your rug even more when you see it in your LR. The design strikes a nice balance of interesting, without being too much. This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 1:39
    ...See More
  • squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's a rough collage. Remember the glass panels (and that big flat screen : ) bring in dark/black and accessories make a difference also. I think a large black piece would be very heavy. Any chance a another chair can go in front of the case (not for tv viewing)?

{{gwi:1813434}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Lost the burgundy vase on top and removing the blue drops : ) Makes a difference to me!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Of the last bookcases you posted, I like the first one the best. It's really too bad that Funky's was too tall as I love it.

I did a search for some corner units but didn't see much and at the time wasn't sure what your budget was. It's a bit clearer now.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Red, black, brown, country, Asian ...

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma42: Of the ones I posted I think I like that one as well. I saw a unit last night in Macy's with the sliding doors and I really liked the sliding doors--esp if I were to ever put a chair partially in front. The finish was along the lines of the Kirkland one that squirrel Ps'ed.

squirrel: That looks amazing. You are very good. Yes, a chair there is a possibility. It would have to be trim though. I'd love a leather club, but I need to get the rest of the pieces in place first to make sure it would not be too bulky. I noticed you put the french table there.... what do you think?

I have to dash off to the morning round of soccer games, but wanted to post the layout plus a pic with the drum table first.

I'd use a different table cloth, but I don't think I much care for this look.

{{gwi:1813447}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I was thinking leather, also. One of the tables as an accent next to the Chloe looks nice, I think. But that's with the KI piece I used. That appears to have a bit of an earthy, hand hewn type finish and is very cohesive overall, style and color-wise, in your spaces, so it doesn't feel mish-mashy in there, imo, and connects on color and a bit on texture. These are such distant shots, though. The clincher is the character of the pieces together, when you're in the room. In the virtual I like it but wouldn't do both tables I don't think.

Checking out your floorplan.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

You know, there is a shorter version of the C&B red bookshelf-- perhaps two side by side would look nice? I think you have a good point about the height being the same as the tv cabinet (and the sofa and chair, for that matter) but maybe the red would spark it up so it doesnt look so monotonous. Also, I would use the top surfact to add height and interest with plants or sculpture or something. Again, I think a lower bookcase would let you put a second chair in front of it.

I'll try to mock up a window in a little bit-- but last week's work crisis is slipping into today. i'll stop back

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Val -- What if you use a larger round table like your drum table between the sofa and chair, and a small, narrow table on the other end of the sofa (just big enough to set a drink, but not big enough for a table lamp). That would give you more room for the bookcase that you like to be centered underneath your transom windows.

This is an Ethan Allen table that is only 12" wide, but has a drawer, that we have at one end of our sectional, just for an idea:

• funkyart
    15 years ago

oops.. my message sat for hours before i sent it. I see you have lots of new photos and options. I'll read them in a little bit.

Sorry.. I should have waited to see if new info came in.

Beth

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: Wonderful PS! Thanks you! I have lots to digest.

I think everyone has brought up good points to consider. Funky, a bit lower bookcase so any top decor doesn't block the transom window... perhaps around 48" so I'll look at some of these.

sarschols, a very narrow end table. In fact, I'd love to see hers PS'ed between the sectional and one of the black bookcases. If I were to do that I think I should not go wider than 42"W for a bookcase.

squirrel, reminding us that the TV is a big black blob as well.

She's done an amazing job connecting the spaces in a panarama. She got it just right and we can now see how all the pieces flow together. Amazing..... as usual.

I need to dash off but will check back this afternoon.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Darn that KI is 68". Sure doesn't look it and I sized it to the door. This one is nice, from Macy's $1K on sale. Not sure about stuffing it full as storage which could look busy, but as display would be a nice view from your kitchen area. Has some of the Mission influence as well as some curves and country, which connects to your paneled doors of the kitchen cabinetry, I think, along with some other curves in the room. Basically using stuff I have around, rather than shopping : ) to fill things out a bit and get some colors going. Don't know about that rug with the Chloe fabric :/

{{gwi:1813450}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's the cabinet above:

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's Cabinet

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's the lighter Kerman panel. Something light and more golden might be nice, too. The other Kerman, I think, has all the blue reds in it.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I love that cabinet from Macy's-- and they had one similar that I liked a little more the last time I was in the store. I especially like all the styles with doors and window panes.. I think they add a casual (vs stuffy) library feel to your family room. That really seems to fit your lifestyle from things I've picked up on other posts.

I also like the black cabinets-- more than the red that I thought I liked. The black brings the tv into the fold so it doesn't look like a room with electronics on one side. A black or dark ottoman will carry the look through the room.

I love the table sarchlos shared-- it was just what I was picturing IF you used a second side table... and the nicest one I've seen in that size. Definitely round/no cloth/skirt on the table between the chair and sofa.

I "get" what abundantblessings is saying about pulling the sofa and chair away from the wall but I don't see it working well for you in the space you have. I have the same issue in my lr-- I can't float furniture and retain the walking paths I need.

I am excited for you-- I wish my room was that close. I am stalled with the fear of committing to choices.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Or maybe something in a small complementary pattern like this, if it's not too red or too bright (looks as if the light is low in there). Very warm and cozy : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Something like this black English Manor might work with the chair, if it doesn't suck all the light out of the room : )

{{gwi:1813456}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's another 55" exotic storage piece from Nieman Marcus that picks up on the new inlay tables and your kitchen colors, as well as the paisley chair. That tv console though ...

{{gwi:1813458}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Storage Media Center

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Love the inlaid cabinet, Squirrel!! It's a great piece and it really does pull the room together. I am afraid that it doesn't have the storage Val needs though (I am particularly sensitive to it because I need the same kind of storage in interesting pieces).

Your visuals are really great.. they really help to bring the look together with each new element!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Thanks Funky!! : ) Isn't that a beautiful cabinet. Shelves could be in the interior where the tv is supposed to go.

Have you thought of beautiful open shelving, Val? With a beautiful trunk or storage ottoman beneath for extra sitting room when necessary. Maybe a dvd tower (with door hopefully) in the corner.

{{gwi:1813462}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Beautiful trunk, leather chair : ) Notice how the scrollies/paisley or arabesque shapes are working together between the chair, table inlay, rug, chest. Even a bit in that tufted chair : )

Hate to put that tower in, but there here it is!

{{gwi:1813464}}

{{gwi:1813466}}

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

Val, your layout is very different from funky's. She doesn't have walkway space but you have enough room to lose 6" between the end of the sectional and the chair by bringing your sofa away from both walls. Based on your floor plan you'll still have at least 24" between the chair and the sofa, and since it's not a walkway to get to the round table it's worth a try. Not too much energy expended and I'm betting you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, it will stop the sofa from appearing totally out of balance where it falls short of the painting above. Try to get it to stop 4" or so beyond the left edge of the frame. You have so much floor space at the far end of the room that you can definitely pull away from the short wall toward the tv without any problem even if you add chair(s). Maybe the wicker pitcher can be placed elsewhere instead of next to the chair.

You might raise the dracaena and add an uplight which will provide a nice effect while watching tv without producing glare. Same with the plant in Squirrel's mock-up; go for larger to balance the height of whatever case you end up with.

If you don't like exploring the possibility of using the tv cabinet as a base for a custom bookcase, then of all the choices the Macy's seems to fit best with the rest of the area.

Pulling the rug out will really help a lot. While it's great to order everything at once, consider waiting --unless there's a perfect "steal" on e-bay or someplace -- until the bookcase and club chair(s) are in place so you can see what size, pattern, color works best. Starting with the rug and building up is great for empty spaces but you're too far along. The lighter Kerman seems to work better tone-wise if you decide to get something immediately, although the English Manor pattern is much nicer in your room. My guess is the black is much too heavy for your tones. Warmer creams, golds, sage and reds will be pretty. Overstockdorcom sometimes has great Safaviehs like the Dynasty in camel & black which is really sage and not camel. I know they had it in a larger size last month; feels like velvet and was a great price. But you have to be careful with them because their description is sometimes more accurate that their picture.

Would you consider a round glass top coffee table if you don't want a round leather? To get sense of what softer pillows might contribute, pull your LR pillows temporarily. Can't really see them in the photo, but the colors seem like they may work and at least you'll have a feel for what new ones to look for.

Have fun!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my, what a treat to come back from soccer to see so many lovely choices here. You always do such amazing things with my rooms! love the look and creativity behind the floating shelves with ottoman below--you are amazingly talented; but something along the lines of the Macy's bookcase is what I need. Funky, is right, I really need the storage--for family picture albums, general books, etc. I like her description of "casual library feel." I want to see the books. For this room, I want it to look nice, but first and formost it has to function well as a family room for the five of us. DVD/CD storage is addressed already with the console, but I do think that right corner would look nice with something tall there--perhaps put the plant back there or a tall picture?

You even found the Macy's bookcase I saw yesterday that I liked. I was not so sure about how the style/finish works, but it looks pretty tempting--esp. as I saw the piece IRL and it is well constructed. Only con is the shelves are fixed and I have several tall photo albums to store. Plus is the sliding doors and the bottom drawers. But, is definitely on the list of possibilities.

I also saw the multi-panel kirman and it could work and guess what, there is one for sale about 2 hours away from me right now. I don't think I linked the right one. Actually, my big hesitation is not so much the colors, but the fringe. I hate that long fringe on my DR rug as it always look messy so now I'm thinking it may be better to stick with a rug either with no fringe or a short fringe. Perhaps I could even get a remnant bound?

All your pics show the vintage table back there. Do you think I should move it back or is it just a place holder? I'm really not sure I like them in the LR. I do like my simple Duncan Phyfe pedestal style tables plus the drum tables are larger and I finally put together a half way decent table scape on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan on CL?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Was out playing with some other rugs. Actually found one similar to the English Manor but with a red border, though the pattern is bigger and might be too much. Maybe in a larger size it repeats.

{{gwi:1813467}}

{{gwi:1813469}}

{{gwi:1813473}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Val, doesn't that look like a familiar photo out there in the sun on the concrete? Did you look at this one before?

I'm not seeing those colors working in there but don't know the rug.

I haven't been thinking about replacing the table. I like it next to the chair, it fills the space, and I've been working it!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I like everything in this last photo except the coffee table and the dark rug. For the TV watching room, a larger ottoman would be much more comfortable than the coffee table.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

This rug does not photograph at all well. I actually posted from a small one, above, with the best photo I could find out there. I really can't see it working in there with the fabrics and it also seems too blue-red/pinkish and cool in the other photo.

{{gwi:1813475}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am thinking along the same lines as sarsclos regardnig the coffee table/ottoman. Imagine propping your feet up for TV watching or kids sitting on it while they play the PS3. Ideally cappucino leather with storage and a flip top for beverage service. I just am not sure yet about the size since some of them are so big.

Something along the lines of, but not quite exactly it:

http://www.worldmarket.com/Ryan-Ottoman-with-Nested-Stools/lev/4/productId/7237/index.pro?CMP=OTC-nextag

or

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottoman

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

valinsv, I love the leather Ottoman and think it is a great idea with so much possibilities.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still digesting all the wealth of options here, I think we are making good progress. Now to narrow down options, we have:

Karastan rug: out

tall bookcase in corner: out

bookcase possibilities so far:

Salem: black, 42W, can get 4-shelf in 49H or 5-shelf 58H
    With this option there is 25" from sectional to bookcase. I could probably squeeze in a narrow end table similar to sarschlos'. squirrel: Could you PS this configuration?

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Salem_42W_Six-Shelf_Bookcase_with_Glass_Doors/120/

Chesterfield: black, 3 sliding doors, 45W x 61.5H (more limited for putting decor on top)

Tad wider,

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Chesterfield_Bookcase_with_3_Sliding_Glass_Doors/210/

Macy's: I went ahead and put some blue tape to mark out the placement for this:

This is with a floor lamp--particular one is probably too large, though
    {{gwi:1813477}}

This is with a magazine rack between (more practical as I do need one somewhere in the room).

{{gwi:1813478}}

There is 20" from sectional to bookcase. Not sure if room for end table or not? Maybe combo end table/mag rack or end table with shelf for mags?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Clipped the one above but did this, lol! If you do something dark (this is ebony, think from Macy's), I'd move in the paisley chair and do the leather in the corner. Makes the rug choice more versatile also, if there's a bit more space to it. Not trying to go too matchy on you, although I think you like a bit of that, but wanted to get the window treatments more in sync so used some of the rug to make new valances : ) Love this rug, which picks up on your breakfast bar chairs, too. "I Spy" on the painting!

English library feel : )

{{gwi:1813479}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Ahhhh.. I didn't know the macy's bookcase came in ebony! That is definitely my choice!

I love the red chair in the corner with the sunlight so i am biased to its current position-- especially because it is a recliner.

Is the chloe chair (is that it?) red or rust?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1813482}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's the case:

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's Old World Bookcase

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Well something like this (just the first I saw) would do it for me, which actually looks like it would work!

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather Chaise

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

One word of warning about Macy's furniture department. We had a very bad experience with them when a sofa we bought failed (looked like the frame broke and the cushions failed miserably. Macy's would not stand by their warranty. They made up about 6 different excuses for why the sofa should not be repaired. Be very careful buying furniture -- particularly soft goods -- from them.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Interesting, department stores are usually the best at taking things back when there's a problem. Maybe that's one more thing of the past.

I don't know why I was on Macy's, their furniture department just came to mind as I was having trouble finding stuff. I was just now worrying about that paned glass door case being one of those new modern finishes that are really slick and smooth -- and get scrapey marks and chip easily. I don't know what they're made of but it doesn't seem like wood and I wouldn't pay $1K. Appears this actually looks like a distressed wood veneer with different tones and texture, which would be nice -- you know, like real wood!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: The latest virtuals look so nice--better than I can actually do, most likely; but so many ideas in terms of scale and proportion and how to achieve a balance. I'm not sure if I'll have room for the other chair or not since I need to keep a clearance to that door on the left which is a bathroom. I'm taking note, though the implementation will most likely happen over the next several months. DH told me not to buy anything until we get the wiring/cabling changed since it's presently on the wall where the sectional is now. There was a lot of earthquake retrofitting done as part of our remodeling so the wall where I want to put the TV has sheerwall (I think) over the sheetrock and I know has hold downs and insulation, but hopefully the electrican can still fish the wires through. We'd prefer to have the same electrician/GC do the work dince they know better what is behind the wall. Response time may be a tad slow since this is now a "small job."

sarschlos: Thanks for the warning about Macy's. It's always good to know of others' experiences. The Chloe chair is from Macy's--so far, no probs, but probably is not comparable with Ethan Allan, but our budget is more Macys than EA. I do feel more comfortable, though, with them, than ordering through Home Decorator's where it's an internet store and I cannot see the piece IRL. The particular piece in question is well constructed, but I'm concerned about the fixed height shelves since I have this to store plus paired down contents of the small bookcase:

{{gwi:1813483}}

My personal feeling is that even though it's not the most attractive decor, a home where there are books and photo albums visable plus games in drawers, is more likely to be a home where the family enjoys other pursuits besides all the high tech stuff. Right now I have lots of games stored in the ottoman which is why I'd like to keep a storage ottoman in the room.

Monday I plan to go to the store where we brought the ent. console with the inspiration pics and see what they can do for me as they work with companies who do custom work as well.

Any thoughts anyone wheather to do put a narrow end table between the sectional and bookcase and, if so, how much space between the two is desireable? It could range from 20-25".

Here is a link that might be useful: Town Square Furniture

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As much as I like squirrel's beautiful virtuals, I don't think it is achievable in my space due to the placement of the bathroom door. I doubt I could add in an extra chair, though it is not really necessary either to have another chair in the room, though it would be nice to have a small end table at the end of the sectional.

Centering the bookcase really is limiting as space is cramped to the left and then I have an empty corner to the right I have to fill.

How do you think it would look with a bookcase of roughly the same dimenions/style we have been thinking of--but slide all the way to the corner? Then there would be room to do the end table/club chair grouping. Here are a few pics to give the idea (with different furniture, of course):

{{gwi:1813484}}

{{gwi:1813485}}

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Virtuals are unmatched for letting you think through color patterns in the room, proportions and the things like this-- the final placement.

My opinion is based on your comment that you don't need the chair-- I would move forward with the room with only a single chair for now. Since the dimensions of your bookcase won't change-- all you'd need to do to add a chair is to slide the bookcase and perhaps by an end table. (BTW I have seen the narrow profile end tables somewhere less expensive than EA-- plow and hearth, maybe?). If you find the *perfect* chair in the next few months, Squirrels virtuals show you that you can fit one in. My biggest fear for you is that both the kitchen and FR will look furniture heavy. Having the kitchen table/chairs right there is influencing my opinion-- and they aren't visible in the virtuals. Also, it makes for a mucky path to the bathroom if the whole family is watching tv together.

I think your plan to check with the store that had the ET custom made for you is a great plan. Hopefully they will come in with a decent price. I'd still like to see it in a darker finish to give you some visual interest but matching would be lovely too.

I too have seen the Macy's pieces and they were solid wood (though I don't know if it was veneer on wood) and seemed to be well made. I do not think it would be a bad option for you-- other than the fact that it may not work for your photo albums. Maybe you can throw one in a tote bag and try it out on the floor?

Just more of my continued 2 cents. I guess I am up to a dime now ;)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I've just been trying to work the styling and colors of your pieces for you so you might be able to figure out the puzzle of your adjoining rooms, hoping maybe a small grouping might work over there with the bookcase but, nevertheless, showing the pieces together. My thought on the tv console and bookcase together, as planned, is similar to Funky's, though I thought adding/overlapping a soft chair on the 'hard' side would help break up and soften all the wood furniture and storage going on. I think you need 24" minimum clearance for a pass-through to the powder room, though that may not be comfortably enough distance for you and your family or from the kitchen area. I don't really have a good feel for the size of the room or its entirety to the adjoining area, and it may be that you want a lot of open space there.

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

Sorry if someone else suggested this or if you have addressed it-I would like to see your rug turned the other way. I think it would look less like things are pushed together on one end of the room. I know that it was suggested that you move your sectional to the other wall-and I would like to see that also-with a plant or lamp or something behind the part that would go past the wall and then a lovely cabinet/chair etc under the transoms. But do get that the seating may be just where your family wants it. It is a lovely space. We also have a lot of wood -all cherry-going on and I put a couple of darker wood and a copper topped coffee table in to get a balance. Keep going!!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

If I were looking for more book storage, I'd be thinking about doing something like this, which would give the console area a more finished look, also, filling in the wide blank above.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funky: Your suggestions sound sensible to me. So I will focus on putting the bookcase in place first and then perhaps some of these other decisions will become clearer. I just don't want to make a mistake buying a pricy bookcase and finding the dimensions don't work in the "big picture."

squirrel: I'm very grateful for all the virtuals. You are amazing. Funky has an accurate take on the situation with the kitchen table almost flowing into the family room. I do want to finish off the console in someway or the other. There are some ventillation issues with doing a hutch top, but that is also a possibility we are considering. I've been questioning the value added per $$ as we need min. of 4" clearance per side and 12" on top per the Sony specs. DH just moved the console off center for optimal TV viewing and so the remote works better when sitting on the arm chair. A case of function over form....

noodlesportland: Would love to see a pic of your space with the mixed woods. A large rug is in the plan, but in the interim I will rotate this one. We are happy with the TV location and seating and now need suggestions for bookcase and occasional tables. Thanks for your take on it!

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

I just love your room. It has such an inviting feel and warmth to it. Love all the virtuals squirrel has done (love the 2nd to the last one the best)
    I also love your paint color-would you mind sharing it?

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

I found this on Friday, but I just didn't have time to post it... how about having the book case custom-made, something very much like this but to-fit your space. Then you'd have plenty of room for the BR door to open and add a chair. Speaking of the chair, if you end up doing it, I'd suggest something lighter than the heavy leather one. I'd think on a regular basis, you'd have it turned facing the coffee table, but you'd want it easily moved so it could face the TV, for instance during a Super Bowl party or such.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner unit no longer available

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tfm1134: I sent you an email with the paint color,b ut for anyone else who wishes to know the paint is Oat Straw by Behr.

I think I am also leaning towards squirrel's last virtual with the Salem bookcase. The black adds a nice touch and the shelves are adjustable. I looked at the collection and there are several other pieces that I could consider as well. The collection comes in both black and cherry so I could even mix and match between the two finishes.

I like these pieces as well:

end table (for between sectional and chair)
    {{gwi:1813488}}

(another possibility, though probably still prefer ottoman)
    {{gwi:1813490}}

(comes in two sizes, smaller is 16.5Dx20.5W - perhaps between the other side of sectional and bookcase?)
    {{gwi:1813492}}

The Salam bookcase is a bit narrower than the Macy's so I will need to remeasure, but let me know your thoughts on the collection and perhaps working in some of the other pieces for a more cohesive look. I like the idea of varying the finish, but having the same styling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salem Collection

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh, I particularly like that last side table with the marble top! Even looks to be oval. Like them all, actually. Those new finishes of today are if-y though, in terms of durability. I'd go for more overall function than the ottoman and maybe something with a bit of an open feeling.