SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

How would you cover these basement doors?

Robbi D.
14 years ago

Our basement has solid concrete walls (8") with studded walls and sheet rock on top of them, so they are fairly thick. The doors are recessed because they aren't as thick as the walls. I'm sort of thinking maybe I should have put the recess on the outside instead of the inside, but it's too late now. My problem is that there is no "frame" around the doors to attach any curtains. I wasn't going to put up anything until I came home last night and all the lights were on in the basement and you could see everything just as clear as day. We're in the woods with a long driveway, so privacy really isn't a problem unless we have guests sleeping down there (which I will over the holidays). And my kids (7 and 8) are a little scared because of the big black wall when you look out the windows at night. The doors are fiberglass, so I really don't want to put any holes in them and they are 12 feet long. I thought about curtains on the upper part of the recess? Or should I ignore the recess and put them on the outside of the wall?

I'm still trying to finish the basement, so it doesn't have a ceiling and it's not very organized as far as furnishings. Here are a few pictures of the door wall.

{{!gwi}}

And a close of up the recess area:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)