SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neilar_gw

Using a Sink Grid Like Putting Plastic on Your Furniture?

neilar
14 years ago

I'm in the market for a stainless steel sink, and I'm not convinced that I'll like a sink grid covering over the entire bottom. (I've been looking at the Franke Oceania in a somewhat polished finish.) A big reason people give for using them is to prevent scratches and wear so that the bottom always looks new. But who ever sees the bottom if it always has a grid on it? This reminds of people who keep the original plastic covering on their dining room chairs to protect them. (Granted, it does keep the chair stain-free, but you have to like that cellophane wrapper look.) It also seems like a hassle to have food dropping through the grates - if I want to shred a carrot, for example, won't I end up picking things out of a grate rather than doing one big scoop action? Finally, I'm looking at a large sink, and the grate won't fit in my dishwasher. I think it's harder to clean grate-type services.

The only advantage I see to it is that it raises the level of the bottom so it's easier on my back. But if that's what I'm after, isn't it better to get a less deep sink that has a more brushed finish that won't show the scrathes as much?

Comments (14)