SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

This has been in my garage for over 10 years....Workable?

reno_fan
16 years ago

This buffet thing has literally sat in my garage or attic for over 10 years. It was given to us b/c no one else in the family wanted it. It was my DH's grandmother's.

I have always hated it. I'm not fond of the "lines" it has. It has always looked top-heavy to me; like a realllllly fat dog on little skinny legs. I don't like the spindly little legs. I don't like the little apron thing across the front. I don't like the crappy little wheels.

Anyhoo.... we recently decided to ditch our "game room" and make it a cozy "French country style" den, as no one ever really plays pool. I'm picturing a big comfy couch, maybe a leather club chair with ottoman, and a few reading lamps. There will be a TV as well.

I hung a new chandelier, put up some window treatments (Ignore the hideous staircase--we're having it redone in the verrrry near future).

Before:

In progress:

After seeing the room with the new light, I thought of that lonely piece of furniture in my garage. In line with AuntJen's recent post about having a home that is dark, cozy, and loveworn, I thought maybe I could take the piece and do something with it.

Maybe use it as a sofa table? Or maybe put a TV on it?

I can paint it, have it refinished, whatever. At one point I told DH I wanted to cut off the bottom half and have new legs built for it. I *hate* the lower half of it. But it wouldn't bother me too much if it was used behind a sofa.

I think it could work in this room, I just don't know what direction to go with it. If you all have some suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative!

Comments (36)