SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoerosehill2

Summer 2017 has been a complete disaster for my rose gardening

Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

roses · More Info

I don't even know where to begin. I guess I will begin with last year. I had lots of flowers to cut and bring in for inside enjoyment. I left most of the bushes pretty much with no pruning to go through the winter, thinking that they would fare through cold winter better, having long canes, and then I could go through in the spring and prune out what didn't look so good. We had a pretty mild winter in NE Ohio, so there wasn't a huge amount of die back. I left the bushes pretty much as they were, until maybe the end of April and then thought that I should probably do something with them, so I cut them back a little in places. (I should add that I do not know what I am doing when it comes to correctly pruning roses, and I think that this is half my problem). I should also add that I have religiously fed all of them with a cup of either GardenTone or Plant Tone once a month since the end of April. It has cost me a fortune to do this, and I have gotten nothing for my efforts. I had Garden Tone left from last year and used that up first, then I purchased Plant Tone locally in a 36# bag, because that was what was on sale. From what I understand, the formulation from Rose Tone to Garden Tone to all the Tones is pretty much the same.

I will try and post a few photos of some of the plants. I have no flowers. Almost no new growth. They only thing I have managed to have is blackspot which I have sprayed for about 3 times for so far. I do no know what I have done wrong this year. I don't know if I have over fertilized, under fertilized, under watered, over watered, pruned wrong, pruned too late, pruned too little, pruned too much, etc. I am so distraught about this. I look forward to summer here in Ohio so much, because our winters are so dreary and drag on so. Summer is 3/4 over, so I can forget about this year. If I knew what happened, I would feel better, but I have thought and thought and thought about this, and have not come up with an answer. Does anyone have any idea? (I haven't posted a photo in a long time. If it doesn't work the first time, I will come back later and try again.)

Comments (108)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio