SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Yikes! I think I opened a Pandora's box with my DR chairs

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I started working on my DR chairs today. The seats are all removed and I have removed both layers of upholstery on the seats. Wow, I knew this set was a diamond in the rough, but never realized just quite how much until today. Still, it is an amazing set with 8 chairs intact (one of the arm chairs was damaged when I purchased it and I had professionally repaired). First of all, I just have to say I am so glad I decided to remove the existing upholstery and start fresh with new foam and batting instead of just putting the new fabric over the existing stuff. Here is what I found below:

Other than a sore back from wrenching out all the old staples and tacks I think this is doable. Of greater concern is some damage I found to the frames with two of the chairs:

Now I am a DIY kind of gal, but my gut feel is this will need a professional repair. I am just trying to balance out the added cost of that together with the loss in value (not to mention sentiment) if I try to do it myself and then they break in the future. My DH is on a business trip and I was hoping to have it done when he returned--he is NOT going to be thrilled when I tell him this. Perhaps it is just a simple glue and clamp job though which he can tackle when he comes home. What do you guys think? Cliffandjoann, any suggestions?

Comments (27)