SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

I think I have fallen in love - Quirky Chair

funkyart
14 years ago

Well in the scheme of things, this chair isn't SO quirky but the oversized nailheads definitely give it an unexpected look. I am hoping to purchase this rescued/repurposed chair for my living room. I had planned to get a Wesley Hall wing chair that I saw a year ago. I have been stalling on the purchase because the chair was about $2000 and while it fit me perrrrfectly, I kept thinking that I could find something similar much cheaper. And here it is. The WH chair was a little more squat and cushy-- it also had the oversized nailheads and I had planned a linen/flax fabric. The WH chair had bun feat which I do not like.

This chair is a little more streamlined and while it looks comfy, it isnt as cushy. I love the flared wings. Not as big a fan of the carved legs but at the same time, I think they are a fun contrast to the rest of the chair.

My concern is-- does it look too masculine? My room does lean a little to the masculine only because the other furniture is leather. My lamps, curtains and pillows do add a more feminine touch.

What do you think? Is it a great steal at $700 or am I off my rocker??

Comments (30)

• jjam
    14 years ago

I think it's great. Would love to see where it's going! I love the carved legs...would be kind of sterile without them. Sounds like a winner for you!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I'm not sure that $700 is a steal - do you know what brand, what it might sell for originally?

I think it would work in your room, plus, the right pillows will keep it from looking *manly*.

tina

• Related Discussions

oh, no, I've fallen in love with Restoration Hardware...

Q

Comments (3)
    A recommendation for RH. They have a Freinds and family sale event every Dec or Jan. The entire store is 20% off. It's worth waiting if making a big purchase. I love RH furniture and have two chairs and a side table from there. They are really good quality, but a look even better in the catalog staged and expertly lighted in a multi-million dollar home. Their upholstered goods are made by the same manufacturers as many other catalog and department stores. Also, Calico Corners offers great quality and hundreds of color color and finish options for about the same price if you wait until there frequent 20-30% off sales.
    ...See More

I think I have decided on a master bedroom set. WDYT?

Q

Comments (44)
    Lauren, Thanks for posting again. I understand since I get so busy myself and I am glad we all helped you giving you insight and finding out that the furniture you like at least is made in the USA and is very beautiful. When you have time, please update up and if you buy the set, pictures please. Remember to measure your room and areas that have vents and windows and see how each peace of furniture will fit in your room. I wish my room was bigger since I really wanted a wooden bed with a headboard and foot board and a triple dresser but these pieces would not fit into my bedroom space. When I have time, I also will take updated pictures of my beautiful bedroom since the accessories of the right lamps (went with crystal), blind and curtains really changed the look of my room making me love my bedroom's peaceful retreat space.
    ...See More

I think I know when I love something now

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks everyone for the great comments! Chicagoans - We do not have a table pad for it yet. However, I will be looking for something, for sure. we also bought the scratch and stain protection plan. By request, I am including pictures of the china. However, the pictures don't do the pattern justice. There are two silver rings, one on the outer edge, and one on the inner edge. In between, there is just a white floral pattern that looks a lot like lace. Here are the plates: and here are the sets in our built in china cabinets. When we paint this week, I am going to paint the back of the cabinets the same color as the wall, so that the china stands out more. Thanks again for the positive feedback!
    ...See More

I've fallen in love with Cannas...

Q

Comments (18)
    That looks almost exactly like the canna I just bought, but it didn't have a name on it. Is it a dwarf? I'm hoping this one is short like my yellow/orange ones. The red ones are too tall and spread too fast. I dug up as many as I could find, and I just saw another one coming up in that bed. It's insane!
    ...See More
  • ladyamity
    14 years ago

Oh FunkyArt.... I like it!

See, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
    In my home, nobody would give this chair a second look as "Quirky".
    This chair would be more the 'norm' in my house because I seem to always gravitate toward the 'bit different'.

I'm not a flaired-legs person but with this chair, it works. Without them the chair WOULD be totally masculine.

Like Tina said above, with the right throw pillow, it's going to be perfect!

But..... what about the construction? Good enough to qualify the $700 price?
    Otherwise, I love it!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Tina! I don't know what brand.. it is described as an antique chair recovered in upholstery from Baker Furniture company. I have looked at her other pieces-- and I believe she does exceptional work and it is all highly rated.

OK, not a steal as in a CL steal but probably in the range of a CL chair that you have professionally reupholstered (at least in my area). It IS a steal compared to the $2000 for the WH chair... assuming i would actually have brought myself to order it.

Jjam, I don't have a current photo as this room is in flux-- the chair above would go where the leather chair used to be in this photo. The chest may return although it has been moved out. The coffee table will be replaced but I havent selected a table as yet. Oh yeah.. and the tv is now a flat screen and I have a replacement rug I hope to use (if not, I will get another-- this one sheds like crazy). Yeah, so only the sofa will live on LOL.

• User
    14 years ago

That's the chair? I love it! I love the oversized nailhead trim. I think it would look good in your room. I agree the right pillow or a throw would help keep it from being too masculine.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The other option is on the fireplace wall. Again, this is a very old photo. The mantle has changed (and the mirror has been cleaned). The windows will have panels in the bosporus toile flax. The black chair could be replaced by the wing chair. Ultimately I'd like a secretary/desk where the leather chair is.. but I could always move that chair to my office.

• jjam
    14 years ago

I agree, not a STEAL, but a good buy, especially if you love it. I'll take a good buy any day. Could you get it on approval, say for 24 hrs? To my eye I think it fits your space and it blends in without being boring. For a high quality chair ready to go, especially with the unique styling this one has, I think it's a very good price.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

The chair is a beauty, I love it. I love masculine type rooms. I also love comfortable looking chairs and couches...Add nice throw pillows and accessories and you've mixed the masculine and feminine spirits together. To me that's the best type of room...

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I LOVE that chair.....would I pay $700 for it on CL....maybe not. It beats $2000, but you hadn't purchased that one either. I'd say @ $200 I might be tempted. I always feel ripped off when I pay full retail for something...then my love for the item is diminished.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

He looks like he is opening up to give you a great big hug. Very happy fellow.

:O)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

If I had an extra $700 maybe, if it weren't at all creaky, if the structure is really really solid. I do like the carved ball and claw feet those are my favorites, I just got a chair from CL with those feet.And that is the fabric I wish mine had!

• sistersunnie
    14 years ago

I love it but then again, it looks like my furniture......

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

If it's in perfect condition & if you love the current fabric - then the price isn't bad. Reupholstery job of that caliber would cost a/b 400$, plus about 8-10 yards of fabric (minimum 25/yard for upholstery grade fabric) that would run you a/b 650 anyway. Even junky piece from Ikea cost like 300/armchair).

If the chair isn't as squishy as you want, maybe you can have your reupholsterer change the foam out. However, some fabric (those w/ tight weave) tent to be less squishy.

If you love it, I would drive a hard bargain (maybe 500?) :-) & see if you can get away w/ it. :-)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I have to apologize. I wasnt clear. It is NOT a CL chair-- I was comparing the cost to the cost of buying a CL chair and then turning around and reupholstering it. It is a small shop/business (not local) that repurposes and reupholsters vintage and antique pieces. I have seen photos of other pieces she has done and read the (glowing) reviews of her work.

No, I don't really see trying to get her to drop the price. She is running a business. If you all think it is not worth $699 I will look at it through your eyes adn reevaluate what it is worth to me. I just don't feel comfortable asking an artisan to lower her price the way I would approach a CL seller for a chair that stood up to a family of 4 and has the faint smell of her garage/basement/last dinner. Maybe that is the wrong approach.

does that change your thoughts at all? Does it look super DIY? I didnt think so but I may be blinded by the $1300 savings.

I will buy the Wesley Hall chair if I can't find anything similar-- If I am going to buy a "placeholder chair," honestly, I'd rather spend even less and get a PB chair. I'd rather spend the extra money and be sure than spend $700 and be really disappointed.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I came home (after a long day at work and read each response again (I had scanned them while at work). Paint Chips, you made me laugh aloud-- I could use a hug to come home to :).

I am torn now so I guess I will wait until I am sure.. I think I need to go and see the WH chair aqain. I am also waiting for the dimensions. The sofa is pretty low so I want to make sure the chair doesnt sit high and tall. \

Thanks again, everyone.

• jyyanks
    14 years ago

I love the chair and I don't think its a bad price. $700 is not cheap but it is equivalent (maybe even cheaper) to what you would pay for a chair that size in a store that produces pieces in mass(Raymour & Flannigan, EA, Pottery Barn). For the same price as those mass produced pieces, you get a unique piece, restored by a reputable craftsman that goes beautifully with your LR. I would buy it in a heartbeat, its gorgeous for the price and unlike anything I've seen. Also love the Baker upholstery - adds a touch of class. Good Luck.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, now everything has been turned upside down because I saw even more of her pieces and I am just swooning. Unfortunately it makes the decision even HARDER LOL. The ones I love most have been sold but all her work is unique and fun and so fitting my vision and personal style. I am very confident in the quality and value.. now I just need to make a CHOICE.

Oh this darn economy. I really really wish I could purchase with a little more freedom. Sigh.

• mcraney
    14 years ago

Funkyart, I love your chair. It looks comforting - the kind of chair you can curl up in with a good book and a cup of tea or glass of wine and spend some quality time with. I think it needs an equally quirky pillow.

Baker Furniture makes high end furniture. In my area their furniture is found in shops owned by designers. I don't think it's a bad price.

I send good shopping karma to help you with your choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Baker Furniture

• jjam
    14 years ago

If this helps, I'd take price out of the equation for now. Sit in the chair for a good while, and decide if you really love it. If you're not sure, then pass. Personally, I think the price is right, and in a way, it forces the question; is this infatuation with the chair, or do I want a long term relationship with it?? If it were a "steal", you'd buy it quickly without considering the latter, and might tire of it.

Just by means of comparison, I bought a great Henredon CL wing chair recently. It needed recovering but was otherwise perfect. It was $60. I was thrilled, and still am very happy, but before it's all said and done I'll have $500 invested in it, and I'm doing the legwork; finding fabric, getting the upholsterer, etc; and I still feel I'm taking a chance on the finished product since I don't really know what it will look like when complete. So IMO, price isn't the issue, it's whether it's the chair that will make you smile when it's in your home. If it does, I'd go for it. You won't be sorry.

Good Luck

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

Is this a website you are seeing these pieces on? I ask because I love that chair (IMO, you should TOTALLY buy it! - I think it would look great in your room and you wouldn't get anything new that is anywhere close to that quality for $700 -- like someone said above, a crappy IKEA chair is going to run you $300 at least!).

So anyhow, I've got a thing for vintage chairs and would love to see more of this person's work. I've got a few rescue chairs of my own that are sad and forlorn in the basement waiting for me to recover them, and I'm on the lookout for "funky but not over the top" ideas -- a lot like the chair you posted.

Would you mind sharing the website or name of the upholsterer?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is a website. I really love her work (I assume it is hers) and there is definitely a range of styles and range of funkiness.

I would be happy to share a link (and I have privately) but I won't be publishing it to the world until I make my final decisions. I know that is very selfish LOL.. but I had a problem in the past after sharing a link to a CL item. A GWer contacted the seller and tried to steal it away from me. I won't make that mistake twice.

Drop me a note if you didnt get my email.

• laura11106
    14 years ago

Your chair looks like a great value at $700. A genuine antique frame, reupholstered by an expert with a Baker class fabric. The cushions look like they are down-filled in the photo. At $700 you are getting an heirloom quality chair. Go for it.

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

Funkyart - I did not get your email. I did email you yesterday through gardenweb - not sure if you got it or not. Let me know, thanks!

What a shame that someone would try to steal your find out from under you!

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

In my opinion that chair is a piece of art. I would love to have it. I don't think it is either masculine or feminine. It is just too cool! And yes, it is worth at least $700 if done by a reputable upholsterer.
    Diane

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I love it Funky!! Think it would fit in very nicely with your house.

I hear about all these great CL finds - they don't happen in my area. If the chair is older it is most likely made way better than most furniture today. Im saying most, I am sure the WH chair is a beauty and very well made - but your saving over 1300 plus tax. That savings is a table for your DR!! I like the dark legs relating back to the darker sofa - the nailheads are awesome.

Smiles:)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Scooby-- I like how you think LOL. The difference IS a table! Or another chair! Or a bench and a weekend getaway! LOL

lkplatow- hmm. I did not get your email-- and you didnt get mine. WHat's up with that? Maybe your spam filter? I did check mine though and there is nothing in it. I'll try one more time.

Powermuffin and Laura (and all others from yesterday), thank you so much for your feedback. I am convinced it is a great chair for me-- now I just need to decide if it is the best of all she has to offer. I have seen more of her pieces now and love them all. She has also offered to do a custom piece for me. Decisions, Decisions!

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

wow--more & better than this? Hurry up & make your choice so that we can get ours too :-D

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

Funky - I don't know. I did check my spam box and nothing there. Maybe Gardenweb's email function isn't working.

Try sending it to the address listed on the website that is listed as my home page in my profile -- I'll link to the site below. I don't want to post the email addy here because of the spambots that crawl GW harvesting emails, but it is very easy to find on my site.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK.. I sent a message, hopefully you got it. Sorry for all the hassle LOL.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Funky,
    Did you get THE chair?

How are ya?

Smiles:)