SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

I think I know when I love something now

makeithome
13 years ago

the title is in reference to an earlier post of mine, when I asked how I knew that I really loved something before buying it.

I think I know now.

DH and I were at the in-laws' the other night, looking through fliers in the paper for Black Friday. Now, I have been looking for a dining table for months, but especially for the last two weeks. I am talking hours and hours of scouring craigslist and all our local furniture stores and amazon and overstock, etc. etc. Couldn't find anything we liked in our price range. Well, I opened up the Macy's flier and the second I saw it, I just knew.

A 7-piece dining set, normally $2100 (which would have been way out of our price range)... on sale for $1200. And it literally took my breath away when I saw it. It was like someone had gone into my head and created this dining table just for me. We called around everywhere on Friday, and finally I tracked it down in a store over an hour away. So this morning we drove all way there just to sit in the chairs and see the fabric and the finish in person, to make sure it was what we wanted. Even prettier than I could have imagined. It's perfect. We bought it, it's ordered and I couldn't be more thrilled. I don't ever remember being so blown away by a piece of furniture before.

This is the first big purchase we have made for our house, and I am just so excited. In addition, we were given my DH's grandmother's china... and the china is seriously something I would have picked out myself. Just beautiful. Our dining room is going to start to feel like a dining room. Yay!

Oh, without further ado, here is the dining set we ordered...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bradford 7 Piece Dining Set

Comments (18)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I know what I love and when I find it, my heart goes pitter patter, it does.

Congrats on finding what you love.

....Jane

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

What a fun post to read. I love it when magic happens and it certainly did for you! Can't wait to see a picture when you get it home and set with the china-the table and chairs are lovely! Everything is obviously perfect for you-your enthusiasm is wonderful. Congratulations!!!!

• kjmama
    13 years ago

It is beautiful! I am sure you will enjoy this for a long long time. Many happy dinners to you!

• User
    13 years ago

Very nice! Isn't it wonderful when that item just kind of smacks you in the face and you just KNOW!? :) Glad you found one you love and can't wait to see it in place.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I know exactly what you mean about finding something that's "the one." Congratulations - it's beautiful!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Wonderful! Can't wait to see it all finished!

• User
    13 years ago

Glad you found it, its beautiful!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I love the wood design on the chair backs!

• yborgal
    13 years ago

It is beautiful and how wonderful that it will find a welcoming home in your DR.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

WOW! I see the classic turnings on the legs. Like buying a piece of sculpture. Very impressive!

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

There is nothing like that feeling of "yes, this is IT!" Congratulations. Looking forward to pictures later.

• redecor8
    13 years ago

How fabulous! Can we see a pic of your "new" china too? Sounds like your dining room is coming along nicely.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Wonderful choice! What fabric did you decide on?

I would also like to see a picture of your china. It sounds like everything is coming together, beautifully :)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think it is terrific too! I like that it is classic with clean lines and could coordinate well with many different looks. It will still be lovely when you have have either moved or decorated 5 more times, lol.

Love at first sight does exist ;)

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

So pretty! Love the color, chairs, legs, everything. Congrats on your new purchase and on saving some money. Does it come with table pads? If not I hope you consider ordering some to use when you have a table cloth on it, so that you can keep that table top lovely for years.

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Chicagoans - We do not have a table pad for it yet. However, I will be looking for something, for sure. we also bought the scratch and stain protection plan.

By request, I am including pictures of the china. However, the pictures don't do the pattern justice. There are two silver rings, one on the outer edge, and one on the inner edge. In between, there is just a white floral pattern that looks a lot like lace.

Here are the plates:

and here are the sets in our built in china cabinets. When we paint this week, I am going to paint the back of the cabinets the same color as the wall, so that the china stands out more.

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

What color are you planning to paint the walls? What about the back of the cabinets? Another color, or maybe a darker version of your wall color?

I love the china! I've seen a similar pattern and they're jsut beautiful...and go with everything! A very classic look :)

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For color, I was planning on a beige, just because it's nice and neutral and easy to work with. However, DH and I can't decide on a shade. He thinks my choice is too gray (BM Hot Springs Stones) and I think his is too tan (BM Shaker Beige).

:) We'll think of something. But, it will have to be soon. It will be a lot easier to paint before the dining set arrives, which should be by next week.