SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimiko232_gw

Paint Scenario help, please!

kimiko232
13 years ago

Hi everyone:

I'm normally just a lurker on here and on the kitchen site. I can't believe I've been lurking for about two years now!

I hope you don't mind if you would give me your opinion.

We have a north facing kitchen, front room and nook. They get light, but are normally somewhat dark. I'm not used to is as my parent's home has a huge amount of windows and it was always light and bright in there (I never realized how much this would bother me until now). Our floors are orangey oak. The ceilings have asbestos (yay) in them. We just found out. We had planning having them redone. Luckily, we checked before we had them refinished! So, they will need to be painted. Can I tell you how much I HATE our ceilings? I don't think my husband is wanting to cover them with beadboard like I am.

I have two scenarios.

Paint the whole house in EK Mushroom (a greige) or a gray and paint the kitchen cabs and the trim in a white like simply white (BM) or Pointing (FnB) or marscapone (bm) or now EK JV cloud white. We have skinny trim by the way. Our house is from the late seventies.

Or, recently, I've been coveting white. It's all over the mags and my parent's home has always been decorator's white. I think it speaks of home to me. (Maybe I'm homesick. I live all of three minutes away. ) I was thinking either Ivory white (BM) or this beautiful white from EK called JV cloud white (it's the color of milk or cream or something delightful). And, painting my maple cabinets in a grey, green, or blue. Thinking something like BM fieldstone (grey green) or french blue (blue grey green) in FnB. Also, the trim will be the same color as the walls if white. I'm wondering that if it's the same color you won't notice them too much. They are really skimpy.

The pictures are actually pretty old. I don't want to change out the drapes yet. They are just a linen. There will be drapes that extend over the two windows flanking the cabinet. (Should I raise all of them or keep them the same height that they are now all around the room?) And, I've changed out the chandelier and the lights already (schoolhouse and just a silver chandelier). And, under the table will be a seagrass rug. I'm not changing out the rug in the family room right now. But, will be eventually. The couches are grey/green. I'm keeping the front room tables, my husband made them. Too bad it was the nineties when he made them, they are pickled oak! :) Thinking I can add some more grey to them so they look more weathered than pinkish. Oh! The pictures were taken at about noon. So, you can see what the rooms look like in that light. The fireplace is not that yellow/brown. It's more of a grey and a taupe.

Do you think that my house is too dark to handle white or do you think it will look too stark in my home? I think northern light sometimes looks blue (I've heard). The samples all look fine to me. I really like grays and blues, but it seems that a creamy color would look better with the floors. By the way, yellow is not my favorite color. But, I want a cohesive look. Not a jumpy color from room to room. All of it opens to each other.

Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to give. I really really appreciate it!!!

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: pix

Comments (5)