SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scootermom_gw

Please critique my layout - fingers crossed!

scootermom
15 years ago

Hi everyone -

I've been working on my layout and here is the latest. Quick background review: 3 kids ages 4-11, I'm a part-time SAH mom, part-time preschool teacher, we cook meals mostly from scratch, but a few convenience products here and there. I love to bake and we grill often, even in winter. We eat a lot of fresh produce.

DH occasionally helps out in the kitchen; 11-yo son loves to cook w/ me. We entertain casually; usually families rather than just adults, often grilling, sometimes eating outside, sometimes in.

Drivers for this project (adding 12' x 28' feet onto the right side of house: add mudroom, enlarge kitchen, provide an office for DH when he works at home, plus a quiet room the kids can use for HW when needed (though they mostly do at DR table).

Main desires: want to be able to see out both front and back windows, and down into FR, from my prep area. Want to face people while prepping. Pretty sure we want an induction cooktop (though still investigating the wok and pancake griddle aspects).

When I've posted layouts in the past, kind reviewers have suggested moving the kitchen to the front of the house, by the bay window. I've drawn many such layouts, and for many reasons, it simply won't work. I've also done some other layouts, but this one seems best for us -- we really do use both kitchen and DR tables a lot (games and HW besides eating).

All that said, here's the latest and hopefully greatest,...it could use some help in the pantry area (prefer shallow stationery shelves). And ignore the note in the LR about the 4' partition; I just noticed it (it's leftover from another iteration):

{{!gwi}}

Your comments on the layout are most appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Chris

Comments (29)