SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueskysunnyday

Please critique my proposed kitchen layout

blueskysunnyday
3 years ago

Hello, kitchen geniuses. I posted something similar a while back, but we got sticker shock at the ballpark estimates we got back and decided to move. That is proving too difficult with the current market, so we are biting the bullet and moving ahead with a kitchen addition/renovation. We are a family of 4 (1 tween, 1 teen) with dogs and a cat. 2 cooks in the kitchen is not uncommon.

Attached is a plan we got from the architect. I have tweaked it a bit (I added a larger prep sink and a second trash can by the clean up sink, plus I labeled rooms and spaces). The item at the far right of the work aisle labeled "CAB" is a tall cabinet where I planned to keep everyday dishes, glasses, flatware, cloth napkins and dish towels. I guess prep would be stored in the island and pots and pans to the left of the 48" stove/range. The architect only gave us a 40" aisle, but I am wondering if we could just make the island a few inches narrower without impacting function in order to get more room. Unfortunately, the exterior basement steps limit our ability to make the space deeper.

I'm not married to any of the ideas shown except that our mudroom has to have direct access to the backyard (as it does) because we have big, messy dogs coming in and out. My goal is to make this a very thoughtfully planned, efficient kitchen and would love some folks to nitpick this with me. For example, if the tall CAB breaks up the counter so it is not continuous, will I be sad that I can't slide dirty dishes from the peninsula over to the clean-up sink (I am currently having back trouble)? Are the dishwashers and trash areas optimally placed? Where should the microwave go? What about hiding the coffee maker and toasters (I have a gluten allergy, so we have 2 toasters)? Is the space between the sink and stove big enough for plating dishes for 4 on a nightly basis (I generally plate from the stove, not transferring food into serving dishes for just the 4 of us)? Won't I want more windows in that clean-up sink area, even though the view is not very pretty (parking court and neighbor's house)? Is it weird to have a window into the mudroom, as the architect has proposed? Do we need that peninsula (we planned to make it a mini-beverage station since the current bar is the only source of ice in the house and it is so far from the casual eating space)?

I am just going in circles in my own head, trashing drawing after drawing, and would love some of you experts and helpful commenters to weigh in. Thank you SO much!!

Comments (10)