SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

1st big problem..Who pays when major plumbing/framing dont pass?

homebuyer23
10 years ago

Well,
Our first big problem is here. Hopefully our last.

We are, have, removed the soffits in our kitchen. Inside was all the major plumbing servicing our upstairs bathrooms. Prior to renovating or ordering cabinets, we cut hole in soffit so GC & plumber could look to see what they were dealing with.
Long story short, it was agreed they could rework everything in order to accommodate our plans, by moving pipes in ceiling & walls. etc.

Kitchen was fully demo'd 3 weeks ago. The plumber got a full look at everything with no walls or ceilings. Admitted it was a big job but consulted with his partner & the GC for how they'd need him to frame. He got his plumbing permit from the township, knew everything would have to meet code. They all had the plan for how to do it. He gave me final estimate (same as before the ceiling was down) and I paid him first payment.

So, plumbers did the work, called for plumbing inspection, and the work is NOT flying with the inspectors because the ceiling structure is compromised because of where they moved all the plumbing.

GC had the engineer come back today to give recommendations for what will need to be done, but GC said most of the plumbing work they did (2 days of work) will need to come out so they can reframe the ceiling, then have to get creative to put it all back in.

I may not be explaining well, but the point is...They are going to need to redo a lot of work and I imagine it will take them a full day to do it...am I going to be responsible to pay them any more money?

I do not think I should be since I was told this could be accomplished to a level that would pass inspection. But I just want to be sure so I'm not surprised if they try to bill me for another day or 2 of labor or whatever this is going to end up being.

Thanks for any advice. getting really nervous!

Comments (6)