SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Tell Me About the 1st Room You Decorated

ttodd
14 years ago

How old were you?

I was 13 and we just moved to a new and VERY rundown home. I was starting HS in a new town and I think my parents felt sorry for me so they gave me free reign to do what I wanted.

What did it look like?

It was Red, white and blue. My mom spent the summer driving me around to pick out wallpaper and she didn't even show her bewilderment when I picked it out. It was navy blue w/ little white polka dots (Mom's style was very much primitive country). I painted the trim white and spraypainted my wicker lamps red. My uncle had an old red shag carpet in the waiting room of his office that he was replacing so my aunt worked out a barter system for me to have it. I picked out red, white and blue bedding and white curtains.

Did you like what you did?

Very, very much. More importantly I remember my mom gushing over the room to other people and always showing it off when people came over. She always told them she wasn't sure what it would look like during the planning stages and she was so impressed in the end. She started letting me help to decorate other areas of the house and really listened to my suggestions. She really boosted my confidence.

Tell us about your first major decorating project please!

Comments (21)