SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirstruck

Best way to seal off a mail slot

sirstruck
9 years ago

Hi all, winter is approaching and I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with the mail slot on my front door that lets a lot of cold air in. My first thought is to remove the metal plates on each side of the mail slot and replace them with solid metal plates while putting insulation (fiberglass?) in between. However, I'm having trouble when I go online finding a website where I can order small metal (brass? bronze?) plates. What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments (27)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

I'm a-guessin that the outer plate has a flap and the inner one don't. Put an outer in place of the inner. If you want to seal that sucker good, get a can of foam. Nobody will suspect a thing but the mail man will not be happy.

Or just take the inner plate off, put something flat behind it, put it back. Do foam.

Or call my Uncle Harry and he'll set you up with a nice new door. Full of foam.

• sirstruck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, well yes, part of this plan involves installing a mail box outside the door. When you say something flat, what are you thinking? Any idea when I can buy small flat metal plates online?

• Related Discussions

Best way to mail cut roses?

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't think you could do this other than with overnight mail. They grow special florist roses in Ecuador and other places that keep their petals quite a long time after cutting, and then they fill the boxes with inert gas to slow down the wilting process. And with special florist roses and that process they last a week or so. But I don't think it's practical to try something like that for the occasional gift. But overnight mail (i.e. FedEx) and a couple of lunchbox sealed ice paks should be fine. Or just call 1-800-flowers, even easier.
    ...See More

Best way to send seedlings by mail ?

Q

Comments (2)
    Dear Dave, Thank you very much for your respond. I read so many different thing how to ship so i am lost a little but not totally. Leave soil on the roots that came out of the pot ??? I think it's better to put the roots in a bag with cocopeat little wet or spagnum. But i saw on a site ''how to send succulents" Just wrap them in paper and do nothing.mmmm To remove the leave's is oke i think for example the stress. But that bamboo stick could be a good idea. I have more than 60 Plumie's at the moment inc. the seedlings so i gonna send 1 to myself and look what i get. Thanks Dave.
    ...See More

Best way to seal off retired heat register

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks brickeyee. That makes sense. Another question: What is the best way to seal off the hole in the duct, once I remove the feeder? Should I just tape a piece of sheetmetal over the hole?
    ...See More

Best way to stain and seal butcher block

Q

Comments (34)
    We did oak on our island and stained it dark (Early American mixed with a little Jacobean from Minwax) and then wiped on several coats of Old Masters finish. It looked great - for years. We ate at it, rolled dough on it and generally used it the same as a table top (because essentially that is what it was). We are also in the middle of nowhere (just north of you) and had a carpenter make it for us. I think it cost $500 but that was 12 years ago. Our recent island is made with maple butcherblock and I didn't want it stained so I left it natural but finished it in Osmos instead. I might sand it down and do the Old Master's again as I prefer that finish but the Osmos was easier to do. ETA: We thought we would not finish the new maple top at all and just oil it periodically. That turned out to be a PIA and so we did the Osmos after a few months of trying the oiling.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

See below

Here is a link that might be useful: how to seal mail slot

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Flat metal at the hardware store. Cut to size, drill a few holes, paint it, install. Or brass.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

If you have a mail slot, you're probably in an older home. If not and your house is well insulated, I would leave it be because of the fresh air it lets in, even though it's cold outside. Now I want to sing, "Baby it's Cold Outside." lol

That's the best I can do on my first cup of coffee.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How are you going to get your mail if the mail slot is sealed off?

If you do want to do it, the easiest way is to just put some shrink wrap over it. Get some double-sided tape, make a square around the mail slot, attach some shrink wrap to the tape, then blow it with a hair dryer so it shrinks up nice and tight. Then just peel it off in the spring. If your door is painted, the tape could take some paint off with it when you take it off, so prepare for that.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

we have one now, but have decided to put in a new door. you're right- they do let in more air than I expected... I thought there would be more of a weatherseal or something! if we wanted to keep our door, I would probably have looked into whether there is a more energy efficient mailslot to install...

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Get a storm door.

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

Funny, my old mail slot had been covered up with brass plates. I thought you could buy the flat plates to cover it. I just installed a new mail slot and removed the mailbox. Love the mail slot. I bought a pouch to catch the mail so my dog doesn't eat it. Works great. I also have a storm door so that helps with insulation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snail Sakk

• sirstruck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the feedback!

To answer one question, we are planning on getting a mailbox.

Interestingly, we already have a storm door, but we still get a lot of cold air. January and February, the cold air just pours in.

I tried asking about metal plates at Home Depot, but they were no help. I'll head over to the local hardware store -- maybe they will be more helpful.

The idea of a more energy-efficient mail slot is an interesting one -- I'll look into that.

It's a 1920 home with a beautiful wood door -- I'd hate to replace the door itself. Last winter, we folded up a hand towel and stuffed it in there. Worked great, looked silly.

Good to know spray foam is the way to go if we do seal it. I already have a can of Great Stuff too.

@sameboat Haha, love that story.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

My husband cut a retangle from styrofoam or something similar to fit perfectly in the slot (we don't have an inside flap/plate, only the one on the outside). It worked wonderfully to block the incoming air.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Actually, I think it was some sort of foam insulation board, but it was several inches thick and filled the space in the door.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Actually, I think it was some sort of foam insulation board, but it was several inches thick and filled the space in the door.

• bbenne
    8 years ago

@ sameboat...We had a similar story with a "killer mailbox"...suddenly it was dangerous and we had to adapt or change it. A union rep came to check out our modification...the neighbours all had rusty sharp ones, but that was okay. The letter carrier never returned, and the new ones asked why we had the "weird" set-up and asked us to remove it.

• aliciagray33
    8 years ago

I have a mail slot but when I bought the house a few months ago and filed an address change I received a welcome from the carrier advising that postal regulations require a curbside mail box. I installed the box and now need to seal the door, preferably with a solid plate but don't seem to find any. Thoughts?

• sirstruck
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

As it happens, I still haven't done anything about the mail slot. My plan -- if I ever get around to it -- is to measure the mail slot plates and replace them with solid plates of the same size that I'm hoping to order from onlinemetals.com. Before I seal off the slot, I'll fill it with insulation -- fiberglass, maybe? Ah, looking above, it seems people were suggesting spray foam.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

fwiw, we didn't replace the door because of atypical measurements- more expensive than it was worth--- but i did replace with a mail slot that has 2 metal covers- one on the outside and one inside-- obviously not nearly as insulative as not having a slot in your door, but is better than having just the flap on just one side of the door as was here when we moved in!

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Seems I often have bought something with some foam in the packing -- I'd cut a piece of that to fit inside for insulation (spray foam can't be controlled that well and is likely to require some messy clean up). you could either find or fashion a plate to cover the inside (another mail box slot from a salvage or resale shop, a door handle plate, a wood panel to coordinate with your door, etc.). You could secure the two together or use some silicone caulk to seal the flap shut in a way that could be removed if ever desired.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I had a mail slot in my door in Venice (CA), and the postman told me he would not deliver our mail until we put our names on the front door above the mail slot. So I had our names engraved on a brass plate (a friend who manufactures brass and bronze did this for me as a favor), and after I put it up, the postman delivered all kinds of random mail to us, regardless of the name on the address - plus mail that was for a different street with a similar name. It made me wonder where some of my mail may have been going. I also once caught him taking out a knife and slashing the Bird of Paradise plants along my sidewalk (He obviously did not like any leaves brushing against him), and so I reported this to his supervisor, who told me he would have a talk with him about this. After that, he stopped slashing my plants.

I never noticed any air or wind coming in the mail slot, but we did not get a lot of wind, and the house was a bit leaky anyway. Now I have a mailbox on the front porch beside the front door. I liked having the mail slot, but it would not go with the new front door that I have.

• Melissa Jewell
    7 years ago

In the last 2yrs since I moved to the House I'm living in (1927 Cottage Bungalow) I've taken the wooden 15 panel door off 3 separate times,To attempt to stop the cold draft coming in the the mail slot in the door that is original to the House.Keep in mind,This door is not a style that a mail slot should be in,Or even look good in because whomever installed it,Just cut the hole & used a large sized mail slot,Which does not fit between the dividing rails & overlaps into the paneled areas.I've replaced it with 2 different types,Insulated the full view screen door with weatherstripping & a threshold in an effort to stop the air coming in,& even ripped pieces of wood the thickness of the door to basically install a rectangle to mount the mail slot flush with the panels,Yet nothing worked.Yesterday I ripped down a 6x6 (untreated) pine landscaping timer to the the proper thickness & then made it as wide & tall as the opening.My plan was to glue in the block of wood,Skim any areas with wood filler where the block of wood wasn't completely flush with the surrounding rectange "frame" blocking from the last attempt to seal out the air,Then cover the "patch" with a decorative polished nickel plate on either side but have the exterior side engraved with the word "Welcome".Your correct,I cannot find a retailer that sells them in a width that I needed ("4 x "12 to fit inside the "5 x "13.5 " patch) The only retailer I found was on Amazon but those backplates were no wider then "2.5.What I just ordered was a door push plate from Crystal Hardware,I ordered the "New York" in the polished Nickel finish because it looks better with My door,But I found styles I wasn't fond of on Signature Hardware's website also.These push plates are meant to go on the reverse of a swing door & is meant to be used opposite of a pull plate.Once I recieve it,I plan on taking it to My local mall that has a store called "things remembered" to pay that extra $ for engraving & fingers crossed,I'll NEVER have to take the door off it's hinges to mess with a repair ever again!! Yes they are charming & various people sell draft proof mail slots now,But they are ugly,purely utilitarian with zero form with all function.I bought a snail mail bag but it too was UGLY.Ebay sells a mail cage but it comes from the U.K....I rigged My own by purchasing a single metal file slot from Homegoods & cutting a rectangle hole,Then mounted it to the back of My door & the rear coverplate to the mail slot covered any raw edges.Worked perfectly to drop in after My mail carrier slid it through the slot.They also sell Baskets online made by Longaberger(?) Another option is to buy a mail slot with a shoot that has a locked "mail box" on the inside that has an angled shoot that slides the letters down to the box via gravity.Although mail slots will alway have a level of historic charm the way a milk door does,I'm a single Mom & it's not worth making My new furnace run non-stop due to the cross breeze of a draft between My front & back doors & costing Me a small fortune in heating bills.You could also look into buying a door insert that converts Your solid or paneled door to a french style glass door,And the inserts usually have argon gas/low E coatings to be energy efficant.That last option is for the readers who want to get a new door to do away with Their draft mail slot but have a bastard sized door.I hope one of these multiple suggestions helps solve Your problem.Trust Me,I understand Your frusteration of having the front door to Your Home become the bane of Your exsistance.It did it to Me,also...Until I finally had enough & glued in a wood patch.Gotta love Gorilla Glue & exterior wood filler!!!!! :) Problem solved :)

• Ricardo Shane
    5 years ago

I used to live in Minnesota and when the winter comes the freezing air drafts are awful we used to put a cloth in the slot till my brother found a product online, it was really helpful, it did reduce the air drafts a lot and it also helps you catching your mail, it's really easy to install and it's really pretty, this is the website where you can take a look at it: snailsakk.com.

Cheers mate, i hope it heps you!

• aoj014234
    4 years ago

Don't you weatherproof draft

• aoj014234
    4 years ago

Just buy a draft dodger, weatherproof, mail slot

• R Eveland
    3 years ago

Thank you - I had not heard of the Draft Dodger Mail slot and why it never came up in my searches, I'll never know.

• Edward Steel
    3 years ago

It's easier to use locking mailbox, for example, this one. I thougth that it's not popular at all nowadays

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Please flag "Edward Steel" post as spam.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County