SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riskaverse_gw

Front Door Color Help Needed (Pics)

riskaverse
15 years ago

We are remodeling about 1/3 of our house and are replacing the front door in the process. It is Western-facing and takes the brunt of our Northern California rainstorms. We have ordered a sort of Craftsman style door Stickley model

http://www.tmcobb.com/entry_craftsman.html

with 14 inch wide, floor to ceiling, sidelights. I'm trying to figure out what color to paint it.

I don't like the look of the front of our house, although our designer has said that once we can afford landscaping (after this remodel...) that we can really change the look of it. Of course, landscaping is a long ways off and so I can't quite envision it, and we'll need to paint the front door now. My DH picked the current door color (a high-gloss, oil-based wine color) but I feel as if the house looks a bit too primary, with red, white and black. If others tell me that it looks great with the current color scheme, we can stick with that. We are going to need to have the entire house painted within the next 5 years, but don't have the money for it right now.

The new windows will have white exteriors (fiberglass, so we could paint them, but are unlikely to right now). I'd love suggestions for front door paint color (along with exterior color thoughts for the future).

I'm attaching photos of the front of the house (please try to ignore the giant trash pile -- it was supposed to be picked up on Friday...).

We'll take out the brick wall on the door side (with the lovely brick niches), add the 14" wide floor to ceiling sidelights (trying desperately to get some light into our living room) but we'll leave all of the half-brick walls as our budget doesn't allow for doing something with them. We have toyed with the idea of painting the brick to make it less noticeable, and we're completely open to feedback on that. From the interior, we can also see daylight above those half brick walls, so we will need to do some repair to prevent future water damage. We'll remove the white plant shelf and can paint or remove the shutters.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!