SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nataliechantal

Fitting cabinets under a wood beam ceiling???

NatalieChantal
12 years ago

After a couple months of "1 step forward, 2 steps back" and finally getting on board with a KD for my kitchen project, I am officially back in the saddle, although at the very beginning all over again. In a nutshell, the house is a log home with some interior drywall walls as well. The current configuration has people walking straight into my kitchen. So, my kitchen is also the entry, the junk area, and the main traffic area. This is finally our year to change that, so we are turning the current kitchen into a mudroom entry which will also house the W/D, and pushing the kitchen straight back into the next room, which will have the DR at the other end.

Here is my first dilemma: my ceilings are tongue in groove with wooden beams running underneath. They look fairly high, but after measuring, are actually fairly low: the beam bottoms at 94", and the planks in between at 101". Beams are spaced 22" apart. in my current kitchen, the cabinet tops line up with the top window and door trim, at 84". I don't like this look, it shortens the ceiling and we end up with piles of junk and dust on top of the cabinets. I would like to run the cabinets higher, but... How high? Do I:

1) go to the bottom of the beams, which will show a gap between the cabinet top and the plank part of the ceiling? Or add a 7" molding to hide that gap?

2) go to the 101" ceiling height, which means I need a cut-out at the back of the cabinet tops to accommodate the portion of beam which runs along the wall? And then, would the cabinet doors open all the way, or would they hit the next beam over (in front of them) when I open them?

3) Do something else... What?

KD and I will hopefully meet this week, but in all his first drawings the cabs are at current height and I just don't think it looks good. However, I'd like to have an idea of what to change it to before asking him to redraw them. I would love to hear your perspectives and ideas about this!

Here is a pic of my current kitchen cabinets. (Even though the kitchen is moving, the ceiling and direction will be the same). Sorry it is bad quality and huge - can't figure out how to resize it from my iPad!

Comments (9)