SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Drapery Drama - Decorating Diva Advice Needed (Pics)

jan_in_wisconsin
14 years ago

Hello gang!

It's been a while since I've visited this forum, and oh, how I've missed it. It's been a busy time for me lately, but I have a moment now. I'm sorry to report that I still have not purchased window treatments for my great room, and I need your wonderful advice. We will be purchasing furniture in the future (when youngest boy becomes less "sticky"), and I know everyone said to buy furniture first and then draperies, but we're in need of some window treatments now at least. At some point, I imagine furnishings covered in cream, chocolate brown, gold, leather or even a black/cream checked fabric. So if this drapery choice ends up as a temporary option, it will be alright, but that's my vision going forward.

I would LOVE some great panels for use on a pole/rod, possibly hung by rings. Our ceilings are 9 feet, and with the length of the great room (about 29'), it would be nice to draw the eye upward. So, I plan to raise the pole to about half the distance between the window trim and the ceiling, which would mean I need 95" - 96" panel lengths.

We have the four side-by-side windows and five other singletons, one of which is in the entryway, not the great room.

My style (yes, I know it appears I don't have one!) preferences are traditional/vintage/new country.

The great room is painted in BM Wilmington Tan, and I have also included photos of our kitchen area to give you an idea of the surroundings. My vision for colors in the great room is gold, cream, chocolate brown, black and touches of red (like the nearby kitchen/dining area).

Here is a picture of the great room (empty):

Here it is furnished (sorry, Christmas pictures are all I have)and facing the other direction:

Here is the adjoining kitchen/dining area:

These are some nice panels from JCP, which I love and are priced great, but are now sold out:

Some other panels I like, but may not work in the room . . .

Bed, Bath and Beyond:

Country Curtains Plain Panels:

Country Curtains Buffalo Check:

Panels from Ballard's:

Checked Panels from Ballard's (will be available in a Chocolate-Checked option soon):

I don't know of a whole lot of sources for draperies, but if you have any thoughts, on these or other possibilities, I would be very appreciative!

Can't wait to hear from you all again,

Jan

Comments (46)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Of the ones you have shown I like the Country Curtains plain panels, and I would have them touch or barely clear the floor.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Because it's basically a wall of window's I'd have to agree with Palimp in that the basic country curtains plain panels will look best. I'd match the drapery color close to the wall color to keep the room balanced.

And yes, touch the floor or just up a half inch...those in the picture are annoyingly too high LOL

• Related Discussions

I need HELP with decorating ledge/shelves: Advice Please! pics

Q

Comments (27)
    After hearing so many of your suggestions, I now know that my concerns about the dreaded wall in my living room were legitimate. I really appreciate all the comments, ideas and helpful suggestions. This site is like having your own private staff of decorators at your disposal. Parma is right, the space was supposed to be for a fireplace, but we decided that we wanted the fireplace in the family room in the basement. Couldn't afford both. Probably was a mistake. I read your suggestions and looked again at my pictures and could see exactly what each of you meant. Things I had never noticed before. 1. The backs of the shelves do need color to make the display pop. Right now everything just fades into the background. 2. There's no cohesiveness to what's on the shelves and there is way too many things. 3. I have already taken down the two small prints on the sides of the mirror. What was I thinking? 4. The jobots are too long. I had never noticed that. Do they need to go to bottom of the window trim? 5. The mirror does not do justice to the space. It may be too small, wrong shape, something's not right. First of all, I really want the upper ledge gone. The problem is talking my DH into letting me find someone to close it in. I love the idea of finishing out the shelves as a bookcase. I think that would look wonderful. Do you think old books would look better in the space rather than newer books? I am a book collector and have many shelves full of novels in various areas of the house. Les917: I really like your idea of the Sunburst Pediment and would like to find a way to incorporate it into the redesign of the space. Any other suggestions or pics would still be appreciated because this project will take place slowly in the spring. Thanks so much in advance.
    ...See More

Buying Furniture - Need Advice from my Decorating Friends (PICS)

Q

Comments (4)
    suzienj - I love your space. The textures are great, and that corner desk is so great! The black fabric is the one I am the most hesitant about, but I think I'll really like it. We have black furniture in other places in our house, so it will tie in well. I will post photos as I go. We have another meeting tomorrow with her, and honestly, given that it's a free service, I'm really happy. When we were building, I hired an expensive certified interior designer, and I wasn't pleased at all with her work (ended up "firing" her and making all the choices myself - she said she hated the distressed look that I love, but that's another long story). So, I guess the price tag isn't always an indicator of quality. Thanks, Jan
    ...See More

Advice on drapes and rug (pics included)

Q

Comments (9)
    the rug is perfect and I was going to say you need a valence but i see it is on the way..as a designer a suggestion I would make is a sofa table behind the sofa..to make the back of it less imposing. Put the rug under the seating grouping and it will help to balance all that dark flooring..it will be nice..you might also look for a chest or dresser to put at the arm of the sofa as an end table and maybe another smaller chair on the built in side..in a lightish color like the sofa..to balance the dark bookcase..the room is going to be beautiful
    ...See More

I chose pink drapes for a guest bedroom, grr!! - Need color advic

Q

Comments (66)
    I erroneously selected a outwardly pink color for my attic office and when I returned home that night I hated it. My painter suggested one of BMs whites with pink undertone - Atrium white - and it was perfect. Should have checked with him BEFORE he painted as he was back changing it the next day. The point I am trying to make is that if you go for a pink, the most subtle color on a strip may end up being too much. Such was the case with my first choice which ended up looking like Pepto Bismol. Sue
    ...See More
  • sable_ca
    14 years ago

Another vote for the plain Country Curtains panels!

• les917
    14 years ago

A dissenting voice. I would like to see drapery with some pattern and texture if you are set on using panels. The other end of the room has the huge fireplace with lots of texture and interest. I think doing a bank of plain fabric panels would look more like a stage curtain than a decorative element.

Would you consider using some great textured woven wood shades on those windows, with a wonderful decorative valance over them that spans the space, hung close to the ceiling?

If panels are it, then I would definitely go for something with some interest in the fabric and the design.

• jant
    14 years ago

Hi,

Because I'm getting a feel of casual/somewhat country here (black windsor chairs, stone FP "etc") I'm not sure I'd go the route of anything dressy such as the faux silks or anything like the first two in either color, sheen or pattern.

I'd have to agree with Les that I think the room could use some pattern and contrast vs blending with the walls... due to the weight of the FP, sofas. Contrast would also bring that wall forward a bit diminishing the visual length of the room. Three on the large window or ??? Will they be drawn for privacy or not?

Although I do like simple panels like the CC ones (in fact my FR drapes are almost indentical to these)I just think the whole room might start going a bit "mousy" lol. I chose mine because I have 5 large windows in a not-so-large-room with low ceilings and I didn't want high contrast...I have very little wall space.

I love the red in your kitchen btw....very pretty, warm room with the black windsors really adding to a sort of new country look. Is that a direction you want to take in this room?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for the advice so far.

I love the gold color of the country curtains (and I totally agree that they're hung too high in the photo!), but my concern is whether some contrast is needed, as Les mentioned. Les, if you have any examples of the type of valance and shades you have in mind, I would be very interested. I already followed your advice in the kitchen with a black floral valance and iron piece over the range, and boy, do I get a lot of compliments on them!

Jant, I understand your thoughts on the first two options not jiving completely with a casual style. Yet, I don't want to overdo the "country" look either. But, to answer your question, yes, I would like to carry the feel from the kitchen/dining into the living room. Privacy is not a huge issue (we live on three acres in the country), and we likely wouldn't close the drapes unless we were home alone watching TV or something at night, in which case, they don't have to look good closed - lol. Generally, they could always be open.

Any thoughts on other options?

Thanks,

Jan

• jant
    14 years ago

Jan,

No, not suggesting goin' "country" lol but perhaps staying away from really dressy fabrics such as the shiny silks or damask? (hard to see) types of patterns....like the JCP ones at the top.

They would create an instant feel of formality that I think you're probably not after...the CC gold linen look ones would be more in keeping with the vibe the kitchen has.

What about something like a creamy matelasse fabric? Fantastic texture, warmth and can work in a lot of schemes.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jant,

Yes, I think your thoughts are right on. Dressy fabrics might be too fancy for this space, yet I want something better than burlap too. So, the creamy matelasse sounds really nice. Do you know of any sources for ready-made draperies that I haven't found yet?

• jjam
    14 years ago

Another vote for pattern. You have a beautiful room, (and an all time favorite kitchen) but it's crying out for some pattern. There are not as many ready made curtains with prints, but Country Curtains is a good source. I'd also stay away from the silks. Some patterned fabric with a linen-like texture would be great.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Vote for pattern, texture, and some color other than neutral brown here, too.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, how about the checked panels from Ballard's when they come out in the Chocolate and Cream color next month? They're made of 100% cotton and are pleated. No one mentioned the buffalo checked print by Country Curtains.

Here is the Country Curtains Lattice Tailored ("The rich patterned lattice is woven on an upholstery-grade textured jacquard"):

And the Overleigh Tailored Panel by Country Curtains in Chocolate (it's a silk imitation, but I think it has a more casual appearance):

Here's the Diamond Matelasse by Country Curtains, a fabric mentioned by someone here:

Here are the Harmony Lined Tailored Curtains by Country Curtains:

I suppose Photoshopping would help. I'm in the analysis paralysis stage, for sure.

Jan

• parma42
    14 years ago

Hi Jan, long time no see. :) Always remembered your SW Flower Pot kitchen.

I have those Ballard WTs.

I just love them in our breakfast room but don't know if I'd go with them in the LR. The fabric is very stiff and all that ribbon might be a little too much. I'd order a fabric sample if you were seriously considering them.

It's really so hard to advise without knowing what your furniture situation will be, down the line. If you just need something for the time being, I might get some inexpensive chenille panels with a bit of your kitchen color in the pattern. If you want them for the long haul, both the matelasse or the buffalo checks look nice.

Take a look at jjam's room on her chair thread. See if you like that look.

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

Jan, were you thinking of dressing each window or just panels at each end? I had a similar bank of windows in a previous house and I treated it as one window. Perhaps something in the brown family at each end with either a sheer between or possibly woven wood blinds on the windows between the panels as Les suggested. This would mean less bulk actually on the window.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Parma,

I missed you all here so much over the past year. I love your breakfast room! And those panels look fantastic in there! Yummy! I agree with you, though, that they are better suited for a kitchen area, like yours than a living room. I did look at the buffalo check on jjam's thread, and I do really, really like them. Do you think it would be too much pattern, with as many windows as I have? If I go with the matelasse, the choices include only white or cream, and I would opt for the cream.

Mary lu, Thanks for posting. I was hoping to treat the windows separately, but I am open to suggestions, and that is an option.

I'm still so confused . . .

• parma42
    14 years ago

Jan, you have so many options that you're considering. Why don't you take a look at this wonderful compilation of drapery designs.

If you could narrow it down to something that you really love, it would be a great start.

They also show the correct ways to hang your WTs.

Here is a link that might be useful: examples

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooohhh . . . parma, what a great link to examples of window coverings. It was very helpful to look at the gorgeous images. So far, I'm still stuck on panels (no valance), preferably hung with rings from a pretty rod.

And, I do like the gold, cream, or chocolate fabric colors for this room. A print would be okay, but with so many windows (9), it would be best if it were subdued; not too nauseatingly busy. I do like the buffalo checks, though. And I also would like a simple chocolate or cream colored panel, textured somehow, if possible.

I do like the cream matelasse above, but I'm not sure if the cream would be too stark all over the room. And would it be too light near the fireplace?

What do you think?

Jan

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, so I've been considering what everyone has said. How about either of these? Neither is silk, and both have texture. Plus, I love the richness of the brown colors.

Manchester Corduroy in Chocolate:

Brookside Diamond Tailored in Espresso:

• parma42
    14 years ago

I like that last pic, Jan.

Do you need wts that will be wide enough to close across those wide windows, or just for side decoration?

When you say you might want to use rings...I love that look, but it is much easier to do if you go with pinch pleat drapes. I've done mine just hooking to the back of a rod pocket, but it's not a perfect look.

Also, don't know your budget. Could you look at some made-to-measures at JCP? That wouldn't be as expensive as custom but you'd still be able to pick from some nice fabrics.

Good WTs are hard to find "off the rack".

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I was reading about how to convert rod pocket to ring-hung, and I see that it can be tricky, and I'd rather not use clip rings. What do you think of clip rings? Maybe I don't really "need" the rings, as the panels will be stationary, the vast majority of the time. I just like the look, I guess.

I also like the last fabric. I ordered a swatch, and they do sell them in the 96" length, which is great, but they are rod pocket. We don't really need to close the drapes, but it would be nice if we just absolutely needed to. On the four side-by-side windows, I plan to place a single panel between each window and one at each end, for a total of five panels there, but again, they'd be stationary for the most part. Do you think the inside windows within the side-by-side group should have two panels, or just one? I was thinking one.

Also, do you think rod pockets look okay as is, or do you think they would look much better with the rings?

Everywhere I look for pinch pleated, it seems like they only have plain colors.

I will check out JCP made-to-measure too.

I do like the Brookside Diamond Tailored. So I'm hopeful about those, even if I can't do rings with them.

As far as my budget goes, I don't want to spend a fortune on these drapes. I believe I can find something that's nice, but not too extravagant, and from my experience with designers, they charge a LOT. With 9 windows (four side-by-sides and five singletons) . . . sheesh! it could be really expensive.

If you know of any other window treatment sources, it would be great. There is a designer I'd like to try locally, but I am concerned the cost would be prohibitive. I'd like to stay at a maximum of $100 per panel (96"). I need 15 panels. Does anyone have any idea how much they would cost through a designer? Would it be worth checking on?

Parma, thanks for sticking with me on this thread. I check back often to see if anyone has responded, and I so appreciate your input.

Jan

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

After reading your last post, jan, I really think you should look at these from JCP. I just hung mine today, and I really like them! They aren't lined, which I would have liked, but if you're mostly leaving them off to the sides, it won't matter much. They have a real nice bulk and texture to them, but best of all, you can hang them 3 ways. Clips, rod pocket, OR they have these neat tabs on the back that when you run the rod through them, they hang in real soft neat pleats. And the price?!? I think $15 a panel.. shoot, for that price, order 'em and see what you think....I also think shipping is free right now!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Barkwood panels from JCP

• netters
    14 years ago

Welcome back Jan in Wisconsin! Missed seeing pictures of your beautiful home.

To answer your question about a designer for window treatments. I had a designer give DH & I an estimate for 4 96" plain pleated panels (no decorative trims)...the cost....$2200....ouch, albiet the were lined...it's still a great deal of money.
    Also LOVE the color on your Greatroom walls. May I ask what the name is?
    Netters

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

Here's the promo code for free shipping at jcp.com
    49SHIP2U
    That makes trying the curtains dirt cheap! :)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvnlife - Luv your screen name - lol! I checked out the barkwood panels, and they are really nice for the price. I think I want ours lined, though, because the large window gets a lot of afternoon sun. Still, with the price being great, it's worth a try. I may order some just to see - thanks so much for the promo code!

Netters - Hi! Wow, that is expensive. That averages $550 per panel! I need 15 panels - which would cost over $8,000 at that rate - ouch! ouch! ouch! And that probably doesn't even include the drapery hardware. We could get a vehicle for our teenager for that price. Our great room walls are BM Wilmington Tan (I believe it's a historical color), and we really like it - warm and cozy.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jan

• parma42
    14 years ago

Jan,

When you get the fabric sample from CC (if you like it), why don't you start a new post?

I'm having a hard time thinking about 15 panels and I'll share my story, so you know why.

When we moved into our new build, I had a fairly sizeable decorating allowance. Well, the recession hit, bonuses ended, and most of that allowance has been reallocated. :(
    Custom WTs was the first to go. I bought inexpensive panels and plan to add woven wood blinds within the next few months.

The problem with having all those panels on your wide window is that you'll be able to see the backs of them, when you walk by. Inexpensive curtains don't use a wide wrap around (don't know what it's called) to hide the lining. It's exacerbated when you use rings but I love them, too.

I've got some pics of my room that is only halfway done.

I'm going to add the blinds at the same height as the windows. The blue room is just an example of how they added a large one. I'm not suggesting that coastal type for you.

The pic of my DR shows how you can see the back of the panel. When I get my blinds up, I will repin those to try and help camouflage the situation.

Maybe you could think of woven woods and just have some panels on the ends.

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

jan, I have followed your thread with interest as I am currently shopping for curtain panels for my family room windows. This weekend I drove to a local Country Curtains and looked at curtains, as well as to JC Penney, Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware (ouch--expensive). I also found a couple of places online that seem pretty good.

Drapestyle.com and Halfpricedrapes.com

If you scroll down to frankoma's post on the thread I've linked you can see the silk drapes lined with flannel from drapestyle.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Drapestyle panels

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Parma,

Your home is so beautiful! I think you were wise to find affordable window treatments, preserving your funds to cover other things as well. Honestly, I looked at some of the treatments through Restoration Hardware, and I just wouldn't ever want to pay that much. For one thing, it's nice to change a room once in a while, and with the expense, it probably would be harder to do that.

I saw the blinds from your inspiration link, paired with panels, and they are fantastic. Your room will look great with those. What type of blinds are you going to get and from where?

I think I need some clarification on how the panels will show the backing on a wide window. I would be hanging five panels on the large window (the one with four side-by-sides) and then a pair of panels on each of the five singleton windows elsewhere around the room and entryway. I hope I"m communicating that clearly. All 15 panels would not be hung from the same set of windows.

I received some of the samples from Country Curtains yesterday, and the plain panels in gold match well, but I'm not crazy about any of the others. The gold buffalo check is more of a soft yellow, and the black options don't seem to match. I love the color of the chocolate Overleigh panels, but they look like silk, and everyone said not to go with that. I still like it though! The color is a very warm, rich brown.

I'm holding out for the swatch of the Brookside Diamond in Espresso. If I go with that choice, I can either get them lined or unlined. Would it be better to go with unlined, for the reasons you mentioned about the backs showing? I was going to order them lined, otherwise. And, with those, I will probably skip the rings and just hang them on their rod pocket. Would that make any difference with the backing showing?

pluckymama, I sure wish I could go shopping at the places you mentioned. In rural Wisconsin - forget it! What a neat idea to line silk panels with flannel. I've never seen anything like that. I will check out the links you posted. Thanks!

Jan

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I think I like the Brookside Diamond the best. It's a nice neutral brown that should go nicely with whatever furniture you pick out in the future. It would also look nice if you changed paint colors to a taupe, green or even red.

I'm a little confused on why you would put 5 panels on one window? Shouldn't they be even on each side? I have a 96" wide casement window and I put two panels on each side and it looks very nice. I didn't want to cover up alot of the window, but probably 1/4 of the window is covered with a stack over the wall of about 12".

My rod pocket panels had pin slots along the header, so I used curtain pins and rings on a rod. It looks very nice and is softer than a pinch pleat, but drapes much more uniformly than a pocket rod. My panels are silk, but are not a shiny silk - a more matte finish. Maybe you would like silk if it wasn't so fancy looking. I got these panels at Pottery Barn on sale for $69 a piece. I was most pleased!!

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I went out on Pottery Barn's site to see if they had any panels on sale, and they do have their silk Duponi panels on sale. $99 per panel for 96" length, which is pretty good since 96" long silk panels can be very pricey.

They have the header hooks so you can either do the rod pocket or hang them from rings like I did.

Just another option!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Silk

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

Hi Jan,
    Just wanted to let you know that I ordered 2 more pr. of the barkwood panels I mentioned before (from JCP), and because they are outlet priced, they are not eligible for the free shipping:( However, the 2 pr I ordered, I had them sent to the nearest store and shipping was only $7.50 (I'm in WI too).
    I should say too, that I don't know how these look on your monitor, but on mine the cinnamon brandy looks purple, but IRL they are an awesome rich rusty red with gold texture, just what I wanted. I knew that because I saw them in the store first, so I wasn't suprised. If you have a store near you you could check them out that way. They really don't feel cheap as they are priced, but have a real nice hand and hang good!
    anyway, I've really enjoyed this thread and will continue to follow--please post pics when you get them up!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Caroleoh,
    Thanks for posting! I'm glad you like the Brookside Diamond. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the swatch. To clarify about the 5 panels, the window I need the five panels for is actually four smaller windows, which are side-by-side. I would like to place a panel between each one, something like this:

I hope this visual clarifies what I'm thinking about. The large window (made up of the four smaller ones) is a total of about 11 feet wide. I prefer to keep single panels between them for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't want that set of windows' draperies to appear like a great big set of stage curtains, and 2) The other windows in the room are singletons, and I want to keep the look consistent. I really like the look in the photo above. Maybe it won't work. I don't know.

I do really like those Pottery Barn draperies. I've looked at them many times. I do like silk, however, others here have suggested I steer away from fancy fabric because it doesn't go with the casual style of my home. I agree that some silk is less fancy looking. I value everyone's thoughts about this - Is silk absolutely out, given the look of my home?

Luvnlife - Thanks for the heads up. You're right that monitors can be deceiving in terms of color. I love rusty red tones. I am still open to all the options.

Thanks everyone!

Jan

• parma42
    14 years ago

Hi Jan,

I knew what you meant about the five panels. It's just going to be difficult to mess with them if you're going to be closing them nightly. If they're on a rod pocket, even worse.

No one is going to convice me that the ones in your inspiration pic are actually used . :)

Silk is being used a lot. You might be able to get away with a nubbier one.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Parma,

We don't plan to close the draperies nightly. They are primarily for decorative purposes - to warm up a large room.

Jan

• parma42
    14 years ago

Jan,

I knew there was something else that I couldn't wrap my head around re the 5 panels.

What are you planning to do about a rod? With most long rods, you have to use a center bracket. That would be smack dab in the middle of one of your panels.

They do make special rods.

Let us know when you get the Brookside Diamond sample.

• misenplace
    14 years ago

I've been so happy with the curtains from JC Penney that I've used them in most of the rooms of my home as I've been redecorating. Plus, you can almost always get a great deal (either a percentage off, or free shipping code).

My most recent purchase from JCP online was off-white, 100% silk, 108" panels for $56 each (they were on sale, plus I used an additional 20% off coupon, plus had them shipped to the store for reduced shipping cost). The same size are $219 at Restoration Hardware, and $119 at Pottery Barn, and I can't imagine that the quality is that different.

That being said, I really liked the Checked Panels that you posted from Ballard's, as well as the Brookside Diamond Tailored!

Good luck!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Parma,

If I use rings, I can place the bracket in the center of the panel, as you mentioned. Some rings will fall on either side. The JCPenney website has images of this, with half the rings on either side of each bracket.

If I go with rod pockets, that wouldn't be an option, and I would probably opt for two brackets, one in the center of each of the two center windows.

You have raised a lot of concerns, but I'm not sure what it is that you think I should do.

Misenplace,
    I love JCPenney curtains too! In fact, I had ordered some just before posting here, and they were very inexpensive ($37 for a pair of 96" panels), and gorgeous. They were a chocolate color, with gold stitching - just perfect! Unfortunately, I only ordered one set of panels to check them out before ordering the whole lot. I placed the order immediately for more panels, only to learn that they were already sold out. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. So, it's back to the drawing board for me now. I would really like something with a warm brown color, and preferably some gold in them in a 96" length. It's the side-by-side windows that are the challenge.

A lot of the panels out there are silk or faux silk, and people seem to think they'd be too fancy for my space. Sigh . . .

I'm feeling discouraged at the moment.

Jan

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I am also WT challenged and this post has been most helpful. I too am looking for panels such as yours. I am heading out to Country Curtains tmr and will stop by JcPenney. The only difference is that I need a cream color and can use silk or faux silk for my dining room. Great postings!

• karinl
    14 years ago

A couple of thoughts...

First, I would have no hesitation in going with silk or something fancier. It sounds like that will go with your eventual furnishing plans, and it is way easier to dress down silk than it is to dress up something more casual in the event that you later get dressy furniture. In fact, it looks like your first choice panel was a little fancier.

Second, If you're doing the side-by-sides AND the four(?) single windows, you're going to have a lot of patches of this fabric around the room. I would therefore be inclined not to break the bigger set into patches as well, but stack them at either end of the stretch of windows. But if you are doing this on a single long rod, that will be something you can play with.

Third, about where and how to find what you want. It sounds like so far you have two options on the table, either ready-to-hang, or going through a designer. It may be different around here (heck, I'm not even in the same country), but here there are a lot of independent drapery shops that don't bill themselves as "designers". I wonder if you could find one of those. show them the photo of the JCP panels you liked, and see if they can find you a similar fabric and make them to specification? We also have a decorator fabric store (a chain of three actually) where you wander in, pick your fabric, and they can make them up for you or you can just buy the fabric. Even our normal fabric stores around here have drapery sections... in other words, if you look for the fabric separately, you might have better luck than if you shop for finished panels.

Finally, have you tried to actually call JCP, including their stores, to physically hunt down and flush out the last of those panels you like? I know this sounds a little obsessive (admittedly, I am) but I'd bet that several of their stores have one or two of them in remainder bins around the country, or that the warehouse has some somewhere. Worth pushing a little if you haven't already done so. But you do need a lot of them, and that might be hard to take to completion.

Good luck!

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: Arlene's (aka fabric heaven)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karin,

Wow! What a helpful post!

I also believe it's possible to "dress down" silk, and some silk/faux silk fabrics have less sheen and drama, but I still love the colorful richness of it.

Anyway, yes I did call JCPenney to ask about warehouses that might have the panels somewhere, but they don't. The JCP lady checked all warehouses for me and everything. It is disappointing.

I'm not aware of any drapery services, like you mentioned, but I live in a rural area too. I know of a decorating center nearby that does custom draperies, but I'm sure it would be prohibitively expensive there. Even the $189 per pair of lined panels from Country Curtains is a stretch, as the panels and hardware will total over $2,000. I do some sewing myself, but I'm not experienced enough to tackle something like this. Pate Meadows has some gorgeous cuff-top panels patterns that I love, but realistically, couldn't probably do.

On a positive note, though, the Espresso Brookside Diamond swatch from Country Curtains came (pictured above), and I do really like it. It seems to have all of the benefits - (1) texture, (2) rich brown and gold colors, and (3) not too fancy and not too casual. So, I'm going to place an order for one set of panels, the long pole, and rings, just to see how they look.

My next decision (assuming I like them) is whether or not to order them lined. The lining would provide additional insulation, light protection and a more finished look from the outside. But I'm concerned it might add a lot of bulk too, which I don't want. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks everyone, for sticking with me through this thought process.

Jan

• parma42
    14 years ago

Jan,

I was just thinking of you and was going to bump up your thread.

Was paging through a JCP catalogue and saw plaid pinch pleats. They are on clearance and lined. Thought maybe the Chesnut/Black. With your great kitchen set, a bit of black in the fabric would look nice.

The price is great and your could use your rings with ease.

Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: plaid

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Parma, those plaids are really nice! I do like them. Plus they're offered at a great price. Before I revisited here, though, I ordered the Brookside Diamond panels from CC just to see how they look. I don't know what to do about the JCP ones. I see they're on clearance, which means, if I don't order all of them right away, they could be gone again, by the time I preview one set of panels and place an order for the rest.

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

jan,

Just a quick thought re: the JCP panels. If you order all of the panels you need now, you can return them at your local JCP if you don't like them. And, you typically would get those in in plenty of time to return them before you even received your credit card statement that they were billed on. (hope that made sense!)

Also, I know they are funny about using codes on outlet items; not sure about clearance, though--but here's a free shipping code for $49+ orders: FEAST49

• catkin
    14 years ago

Get the Overleighs! (((hugs)))

**I love the color of the chocolate Overleigh panels, but they look like silk, and everyone said not to go with that. I still like it though! The color is a very warm, rich brown.**

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

I have bought a bunch of drapes from www.halfpricedrapes.com
    very good quality, lined, weighted, etc. The rod pocket drapes come with the drapery pin strip and some drapery pins. I add additional drapery pins and put them on rings. The rod pocket ones are so much less expensive than their custom pleated ones. They also sell their products on overstocks so if you have a coupon and they have free shipping you can save. If you can get someone to sew the pinch pleats in, the rod pocket panels are 50" wide and you can sew multiple panels together. I did that in my dining room and added trim to them. Much less expensive than custom pinch pleated ones. drapesytle.com has beautiful products but, much more expensive. These drapes rival my custom ones that cost thousands in my old house.

P. S. I also bought some really nice silk panels on ebay a few years ago from someone who did that on the side.

These choices are much nicer than store bought drapes from pottery barn, restorationhardware, etc. I personally haven't looked at JCPenny's drapes so I can't say if they are nicer than those but, I do believe the choice of fabrics are superior to those as halfpricedrapes has linen, silk/cotton, velvet, silk, etc.

• karinl
    14 years ago

What Magnaverde says in the thread linked below about using fancy stuff in a more casual environment is what I was trying to express about silk being OK - it's not a bad thing for a casual room to carry a fancy accessory, far better than a casual accessory in a fancy room.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: What Magnaverde said

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jbrig, that's a good idea about ordering the JCP panels and then returning them locally if needed. I may do that. I think I'm going to wait until the CC panels get here (should be any time) to see if I like those first. I do really like the JCP plaid.

catkin, I received the swatch for the Overleigh style, and the fabric is very shiny/fancy. I like the brown color a lot, but the sheen is very high.

kimmieb, Thanks so much for sharing about halfpricedrapes.com. I have wondered about other sources for draperies. I would be hesitant to order from someplace new, but if you're giving it your stamp of approval, then that's good to know. What is a drapery pin strip, and can an average Joe get one to convert rod pocket to the ring style?

karinl, Thanks for the thread link. I respect Magnaverde's ideas a lot! And, I agree that it's okay to bring a fancier item into a casual room, if done properly. I'm no decorating expert, though, and I wonder if I could carry it off. I'm just a humble Wisconsin woman . . . lol!

Again, the responses to this thread have greatly exceeded my expectations, and I'm so glad to have this group of decorating friends. I will keep you posted on the progress. The set of panels from CC should be arriving soon, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look!

Jan

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

It is a drapery hook belt. It is a strip of fabric sewed horizontally along the top back of the panel that drapery hooks for rings are attached to. I don't sew but, I am assuming they are there to reinforce the fabric and to have something to connect to for the ring hooks so you don't have to sew them on and the fabric doesn't rip.

Good luck finding what you like. Sounds like the JCP drapes are the front runner. Can't wait to see what you pick with all those great windows.