SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimskitchen_gw

Double oven range vs wall ovens

aimskitchen
11 years ago

Does anyone have opinions on double oven ranges vs wall ovens? We are planning a remodel of our tiny, workhorse of a kitchen and hoping to gain more counterspace. Our home is the site of all the family gatherings, holidays and birthdays, and due to extensive food allergies, I need to make most everything we eat from scratch. We're trying to maximize counterspace while at the same time, maximizie function and cooking versatility. I currently have a cooktop and double wall ovens (love them), closely nestled and giving me little counterspace. I'm considering two options.

1. Moving double wall ovens to another spot in the kitchen, freeing area next to cooktop for counterspace. However, this would be in the walkway between the open kitchen and dining area (separated by peninsula). There is plenty of room for them to open, but the walkway would be blocked while taking things in or out or checking. The positive side of this option: I gain counterspace, and do not have to cook over a hot range. I frequently have both ovens and cooktop going and currently appreciate not having oven heat blasting me while I cook.

2. A double oven range in the spot where my cooktop currently sits. This would free counterspace in both the area where wall ovens currently reside, and in the aforementioned spot, where I could set up a baking station or a breakfast station for my husband, where his gluten toaster and coffee maker could hang out. Negatives: the oven sizes would likely be smaller than what I currently use, and I would be cooking over that hot range and likely feeling the heat. I also can't vent to the outside and am thinking a gas range will be generating a lot more heat than my electric wall ovens.

Option 3: keep wall ovens where they are and deal with it, giving thanks for the 12" of counterspace that will be added all along the back of my peninsula.

Opinions welcomed. Thanks!

Comments (7)