SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totallyblessed_gw

golden travertine?

totallyblessed
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am usually over on the "building a home" forum, but venture here when I find the time. It's great over here. :o)

I am hoping you will give me advice on the color choice for our master shower tiles.

I am debating golden travertine tiles for the master shower. The tile person I worked with at a huge store came up with a pattern I think I would like. I guess I'm just hoping that the golden color is considered "neutral" enough for possible future resale, and also if you feel it would go with various colors schemes, should I want to change out colors in there.

Here's our bathroom. They just finished hanging sheetrock in there yesterday. :o)

{{gwi:1880258}}

The shower is at the back of the tub, seperated by a glass "window". Above the pillars, up on the arched area, will be tile, as well as in the shower, and surrounding the windows at the back wall. Hope that makes sense. This photo is washed out, but the windows face south so I can never get a good photo. :o~

Here is a closer shot of the bath from today, although you can't see much of the shower. Maybe it gives you a better idea of the bath?

{{gwi:1514022}}

I'm planning to decorate in golds, deep muted reds, olive greens, etc. I'd like an old world feel to the house, sortof italian with iron rails, tapestries, oversized candlesticks, etc.

So, will I be blowing it to do yellow travertine tiles? Should I opt for something safer like a bottocino tile.... a non-color of any sort? In my mind, yellow would make it rich, but still be a neutral. I am getting tired of tans and browns per se, and would like to branch out and do something else in this house. But I hate to make a mistake in something as costly as the master bath.

So, will you vote? Is the yellow okay? I am not a design expert by any means, so any help/advice is appreciated.

Oh, the vanities on either side will be a dark stained maple. I was going with dark emperador on the countertops, but will need to change to whatever looks good with golden travertine, if I go that route instead. The rounded arched area is the vanity ("her side of the bath". The area next to it, near the window, will be a linen closet. The wall around the window will be tiled with "brick" tile.

The area to the left of the arched vanity is "leftover area". (on the opposite side of the room is "his side" and my "leftover area" is the mirror image to the toilet room on "his side". The "leftover area" is going to have a large mirror, rounded ottoman, and some greenery. It also has a double-sided fireplace(where that board is leaning) that faces towards the tub, so that wall is fireplace. Hope that makes sense.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I want it neutral, but rich. I'm looking for elegant/ fit for a king. Can I achieve that with a golden stone, or do I need to be thinking about another option? Do you suggest the same golden stone on the floor also? It comes in french pattern, as well as large tiles for the flooring.

Advice, comments, suggestions greatly appreciated. ;o) Please help. I need to hurry and order the tile, and I'm uncertain about this room. I've gone on and on now.... LOL! HELP!!

Comments (25)