SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Can you envision these fabrics in the same room together?

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

Sorry for the multiple postings about the same subject of my living/dining room project, but I'd really like some more opinions. I keep vascillating between choosing the fabric for the WT with fabric for the arm chairs in striving for my collected look.

WT: We have found a very nice fabric we'd like to use for our roman shades in both rooms. This will be a total of 3 shades per window since the dining is a bay and living is 8' wide. It's the ivory and bronze combo in the pic below, which will be paired with the bronze trim across the bottom edge. The roman shades would be paired with stationary panels and for this I have chosen a lined and interlined inverted silk taffeta from RH in goldenrod. My first choice has been discontinued so I would like to place an order for the other one. Mostly only the bronze will show forth as the stripe goes in the inside pleat. DH and I both like this option and feel roman shades would work best for the bay window so the deep sil can still be visable when the WT are down.

arm chairs: This has been a challenge and will be a focal point for the room with 2 chairs flanking the fireplace/accent wall and visable when you enter the house. I am coming around to idea to consider a more expensive fabric for this and the salesperson at CC is recommending the red toned floal in the pic. Yesterday she loaned me a bolt of a greenish one--which was all wrong for the wall. The room does not get direct sunlight so we didn't want to go too dark, hence the light background.

sofa: That will be the vanilla herringbone with decorative cushions. For the cushions we are considering the stripe and I may also use the same stripe for my dining room seats so if we bring the dining room chairs into living room for overflow seating it will all blend. In addition, I'm considering using some of the fabric from the armchairs and pair that with a solid (I'm thinking velvet) to make a larger center cushion. To keep costs down, I'm considering just buying the fabrics and making the cushions myself. If anyone can recommend a good pattern for fancy cushions a la Calico Corners I'd love to hear it.

You can see the wall colors in the background--though I'm open to repainting the fireplace wall. I know it's hard to envision as the green seems to look different in every photo I take. The dining room color is the oat color in the swatch below.

{{gwi:1879609}}

{{gwi:1879610}}

{{gwi:1879611}}

Here are some other options considered:

{{gwi:1879612}}

{{gwi:1854801}}

This chair is ready made at Macy's and on sale. I'm thinking about getting it for my bedroom, but I can see it working here as well:

{{gwi:1879613}}

And the really high end expensive fabric the Ethan Allen designer had recommended which we feel is too overpriced, but put it here anyway:

{{gwi:1879614}}

If you have a different idea alltogether for the armchairs, I'd love to hear about it as I've been racking my brains--even thinking a red/ivory toile, paisley, stripe, etc.

Comments (31)

• msrose
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the fabrics with more red in them (picture #1 and the chair from Macys). On the expensive Ethan Allen fabric, I'm assuming it's the print and not the stripe. You'll be happy to know, I don't like it at all :)

Laurie

• budge1
    16 years ago

I like the combo you have in 1st images. The paisley goes with the WT fabric because it has that bit of grey/blue in it and the cream background. It also looksk like it has a bit of nice texture to it.

The Macy's chair doesn't go (IMO) because it is all dark and gold/red green (at least on my monitor.

The expensive would also work, but if it is that much more expensive, I'd skip it. It's not that great.

I'd also think about introducing a small scale pattern (a small dot or diamond shape for example). You have the 2 big patterns and two stripes and a solid (herringbone). I think the small pattern is needed to complete your "collected" look.

And once again, it is completely clear to me what a complete stranger should do in her room, but fabric samples remain scattered haphazardly around my OWN living room soaking up the tears of my frustration and indecision. Sigh.

• Related Discussions

Can you mix 'somewhat' toile fabrics in a room?

Q

Comments (10)
    I haven't seen the fabrics other than on-line. I had planned on ordering fabric swatches after I narrowed it down. The target comforter I posted above is trimmed in hot pink. You see her current lavender pillow sham peaking out, which does not stay. And yes, I realize none of these are toile. My DD did not care for the fabrics with "scenes" so we are going with a damask instead. I failed to change the thread title. I'm not very good at visualizing how something will look, which is why I didn't want to spend hundreds of $$'s on fabric and then hate it. This was the primary motivation of buying the Target comforter. To see if I would actually like a black and white print with the lime green walls. I do like the look, just not this comforter. I also ordered the damask drapes from Target.com and received them today. They are much nicer than the comforter set. I have two on the bed to give the illusion of a duvet. I also found a striped sheet set that I have strategically draped to look like a bed skirt. Target has a comforter set in this line but it is only available in king and the reviews state that the comforter is rather thin and cheaply made like the one above. Therefore, I am considering making my own out of two drapes. Cost wise the purchased drapes from Target would be about equal to the cost of one of the fabrics above and the material to line them. The ones from Target are 96" but still about 8" too short. I could solve this by lowering my draper rods about 4" and adding rings so that the panels drape softly rather than shirr on the rod. Here is the room with the wall behind her bed painted lime green. I still have to do the other walls. No flash was used. Another view. The lavender walls just don't work!! So, I really like this. Now I just have to decide whether to use keep these drapes along with the two extra to make the duvet. Or start from scratch and custom make everything using one or two of the fabrics above. The advantage of making my own would be to have the full 106" height that I need for the drapes without having to move the rod. But then again, it would be easier to move two rods than make four drapes! Another option could be to sew about 8" of solid black to the bottom and have a somewhat two-toned look. The only thing I'm unsure about is the mock up of the bed skirt. I kind of think the bed skirt needs to be bold and contrast with the bedding. Are you guys sure the bright pink stripe fabric wouldn't work for a bedskirt???
    ...See More

What type of mirror do you envision over my fireplace?

Q

Comments (26)
    I keep coming back to the Alizah mirror at PB (the second one I linked to, not the first). I like the fact that it's "none of the above" in terms of wood finish or metal...and it will bring some additional color into the room. It's a couple inches larger than the painting I have there now. Best of all we have Amex points that I can use to get it for "free." Just wish I could see it in the store but it's online/catalog only. Worst case scenario, I'm pretty sure I can return it to the store if necessary. I moved the little pottery buildings to another shelf this morning and parked a smaller mirror up there just to see what a mirror would "feel" like, and honestly it was almost shocking how it changed the room. I oughta know this by now but I was still surprised at the effect. Even moving the houses elsewhere and instead, putting 3 simple items on the mantel this morning, made a nice difference. This fall I'm doing a lot of editing and simplifying around my house. I'm the queen of tchotchkes and I need to rein it in a bit. I really appreciate everyone's input. Everyone here is so helpful in helping me to see my own house in a way that I'm sometimes unable to see it. In some ways it's a lot harder to decorate my own space than to work in someone else's home. Weird, isn't it?
    ...See More

What do you envision in this room? (Pic's)

Q

Comments (28)
    Lucky you! I've decorated my beach house that only exists in my head so many times... I love that brick! Of course, it looks exactly like my fireplace brick, so I might be a little partial. And I agree that the granite was way too modern for the house. I think light colored slipcovered sofas would be perfect. I'm talking about the ones where the slipcover is made for the sofa, and the cushions are separate, not under the slipcover. The generic slipcovers you buy to fit almost any sofa always looks messy. But the individually wrapped cushions and slipcovered frame would not look messy. I think. Never owned one, but would get that style. Especially at the beach where you may want to wash them more. Your floors are beautiful. I totally love dark hardwood floors, but I think it would show too much sand at the beach. Medium tone will be perfect. Like others have said, add dark wood with the furniture. Are you keeping the yellow paint? I could see a really soft tan/neutral (BM Manchester Tan maybe?) with the white woodwork. Here is one of my favorite beach houses. It has dark floors, but I just love the soothing feeling of this house (and of course the views don't hurt!). Here is a link that might be useful: Beach House
    ...See More

Black leather and brown leather together, in the same room??

Q

Comments (17)
    I don't see it clashing..black and brown-one of the world's most popular combinations..if it exists in nature a lot it can be in a room too..that's what I believe in these two are interesting colors to bring together, and all the pieces share some very similar sensibility so to say repeat the colors, even if in small things..you know what you're drawn to, in sense of style..I think you'll figure it out different legs wouldn't bug me as long as they have similar though behind them(simple, streamlined in this case..or similar in shape somewhat..)if anything I'd go not for metal but for other material..can't see what the black chair's legs are?..
    ...See More
  • squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Beautiful fabrics! Your window treatments look gorgeous together, and with the sofa fabric. I'm not sold on the paisley. I think the pattern segments are too similar in size to the motif on the shades. I also think that if you're keeping an accent wall, that color needs to be more pronounced in the chair fabric, although adding accent pillows might take care of that.

The light paisley just kind of washes out, imo, and again, I think they are too similar and don't play off or highlight each other enough.

I'd like to see some tactile texture on the chairs to contrast with the sleek fabrics of the wt's. Could be a printed velvet or maybe a printed matte chenille. Maybe an embroidered fabric.

Just my thoughts from what I can see :) HTH

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I really think the WT is beautiful. The fabric for the sofa is perfect and timeless.

I don't see the paisley working with the drapes at all. I also am in agreement with Squirrellhaven that you can use more texture for the chairs.

I am not sure if this is going to make sense. To me the herringbone is like suit material and I am wondering if CC has other textures that also are like suit material or like a tweed suit.

Don't be afraid to use a contemporary pattern or material in a traditional room.

If you want to bring the dining room chairs into the living room for overflow, matching fabrics to a cushion (do you mean accent pillows?)would not be necessary as long as the flow is in the colors that you use. In my silly head, I would prefer the dining room chairs not to match anything exactly in the living room.

JMHO

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Here is what Sheri on Room by Room said about mixing patterns. I recorded that show because like you I love the mixes if they're done right. Anyway, I just found it and re-watched it for you. She says about mixing patterns:

1. Always use at least three patterns together to make a complete design statement.

2. Of the three, one pattern should be larger than the rest. That is your focal point. The floral she showed looked medium sized to me, on an oatmeal background. That one holds the entire color palette.

3. The second pattern should be about half the scale of the first one. It shouldn't hold as many colors. It should coordinate, but not detract from the larger pattern. In her example she showed a simple plaid on an oatmeal background.

4. The third pattern can be similar to either of the other two patterns, but it uses fewer colors, like two or three. She had a simple leaf pattern, airy and not too busy, on the same oatmeal background.

5. She showed a fourth pattern. It was a very simple small-pattern green and oatmeal plaid/check -- almost like a houndstooth. She was just using this one for welting.

In another example she did a large floral, a medium plaid, and a little pin-dot pattern for her third.

Don't combine white with off-white.

Se ended up putting a floral on the duvet cover and a stripe on the back of the duvet cover, with tiny houndstooth welting. She used a plaid on the bedskirt. She used the floral on the draperies and had an under-valance of the houndstooth, with a topper of the plaid. Her colors were green, red, gold on an oatmeal backing.

To sum: Large scale with lots of colors; medium scale with fewer colors; small scale with two colors; don't mix whites. Those are the rules of "Decorating 101" she says.

Hope that helps!

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

It's so amazing to read Budge's comments & choices which echoe my feelings completely---even down to the indecision I myself have about my own choices of things. How ironic that it seems so much easier to see for others. Maybe I need to post my question to myself in an email to me and include pictures, then I'll see what I'm blind to as I look at it in my own home...LOL.

• kim2007
    16 years ago

Beautiful fabrics! I adore paisleys, so I'd probably choose one of the fabulous paisleys above and opt for some other window treatment fabrics to go with it! I'll be interested to see what you finally decide upon.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

These aren't perfect fabrics, just trying to vary the scale of the pattern and pick up some of the feel of the wall color in the fabric to show different effects. If you're keeping the piano in there, something flowing and lyrical does have a nice feel. I'm wondering if you know what you'll be doing for a rug? If you're wanting a patterned rug, it might be easier to pick the chair fabric later or find them together.

Also, have you picked fabrics for the dr? The vibrant florals make me think of that room more than this one, since it has golden walls.

HTH! :)

{{gwi:1879615}}

{{gwi:1879616}}

{{gwi:1879618}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I think the print and the brocade flowers are too close in size and the "cross-your-eye solids" of herringbone, damask, etc., are all the same look (when one crosses his/her eyes) and make it look unintentional. When it looks unintentional is when it appears that you "caught these fabrics on a good sale" and just used them.

When you use the formula as outlined by Shari per Oceanna, then it looks intentional and well-formulated.

What Oceanna said that Shari said. I am sure if you go to Calico Corners, one of their design people can help you with fabrics. I would hate to see you not get it right, because I know you have worked so hard on your lovely home and fabrics are a big investment.

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

So many beautiful choices! I like some of the fabric you've posted in your first photo. The fabric choices seem to be warm and inviting. I really like what Squirrelheaven put together. I can't even decide which of hers I like best (maybe the last one?). They're all beautiful!

I was also wondering if you have a rug selected for the room.

I just have to say...I'm jealous of anyone that can sew. ;)
    Astrid

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I like the way some of the fabrics pick up the color or are similar to the color of the accent wall the best in Squirel's examples. If the fabrics had texture to them and where not a flat fabric, I would like that even better.

I like a lot of texture in fabrics. It gives a room interest, deepth, warmth, and makes you want to touch it.

• mareda
    16 years ago

Personally, I would keep the stripe and the paisley and match up one of the richer colors in those things. And I hate to say this, but I'm not sure the color on the wall works with any of it.

• mareda
    16 years ago

The green is tough to match. Would you be opposed to something like this?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I was thinking about the panels again, that they are so similar to the shades, so tried to find some textures or another material to enhance them more. Not thinking through the whole room, just trying to get some other materials and textures going for ideas :) That's a garnet velvet.

• msrose
    16 years ago

You said you're open to painting the fireplace wall, so how about changing it to a warm golden tan? I think it would look beautiful with the fabrics you're looking at.

Laurie

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I agree with Laurie (Ms Rose), I think the room color needs to be solidified. Are the 2 colors so that the room looks more square than rectangular? Or did you just like both colors? I believe a room with one color walls and several fabrics is much better. I really want you to get this right. You have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into your lovely home. It is obvious that you have worked hard. Just step back and give yourself a little more time.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are a couple of golden colors on the walls. The second is a bit more bronze/amber.

{{gwi:1879624}}

{{gwi:1879625}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I agree, you're still in the discovery phase -- just keep playing :) It's a process. I'd think about your rug if it is going to be patterned.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All I can say, is oh my, that you so much for all the ideas. It still is not feeling just right to me and you are all telling me the same. Thank you all for your honesty. It seems the majority do like the neutral palate of the WT and sofa--it's just the chairs (and probably the paint which is the easiest and cheapest to change). I am working with a designer at CC and she suggested the paisley fabric. I don't care much for the Ethan Allan's business model of picking fabrics for me based on my budget and color scheme so I'd rather work with the CC. Their sale ends Dec 1st so I need to make a decsion before then. DO you think I should go ahead and order the window measure or wait until I get it all picked out? Reason I ask is that he gets booked up and I need to get this under the sale ($75 off every $500 spent - not sure if it's local or not, but a sweet deal).

oceanana: Thanks for all the tips on mixing fabrics. I'm going to print that out and study it. I've seem lots of pics of collected fabrics, but am having so much trouble putting my own together.

squirrelhaven: I do like some of your choices so I will print that out when I next go to CC.

Does anyone like the original floral (after the green one). That was my original choice before I saw the WT material and I was unsure they went together.

Now, I am even rethinknig my basic layout and would love advice on that.

The Ethan Allan designer had said to do the sofa opposite the fireplace with a demilune sofa table against the backside(and viewable from the entry). Then two armchairs flanking the fireplace and piano in opposite corner (she doesn't like it). I was thinking either that or doing sofa in front of window (with a sofa table behind and 1-2 tall lamps), the on opposite wall the piano in center with an arm chair to either side. Add to both options an oval coffee table and 1-2 end tables. Rug will be chosen last and more understated.

Now I am wondering if two arm chairs is too much in this room and I should do a sofa, loveseat and single chair. And then perhaps the loveseat in a plaid and armchair in a floral?

It seems to me there is a difference between a "collected look" that designers put together where fabrics all tie together in interesting ways and the "collected over time" look where items are either bought one at a time that match to other peices in the room or it's made to look that way.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrelhaven: You are too much! I just realized you duplicated and photoshopped the trim on the bottom of the shades! My DH is going to be blown away. He worked with the original developer of photoshop years ago--never dreamed how it would be used today.

Looking at your pics, I feel the red for the arm chairs is making too strong a statement and I like some of your selections better--esp if we do go for two arm chairs. I prefer a softer look--perhaps even vintage fabrics since I'm going 1940's duncan phyfe antique for the occasional tables. As I speak DH has just picked up 2 round mahogany end tables with the pedestal legs for the room--another Craiglist find. Now, if only I could figure out the fabrics so easily....

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I feel the red for the arm chairs is making too strong a statement.

Yes, the paisley makes a very strong statement. I remembered some of your fabrics from another thread, which were bold and vibrant, so I thought that was maybe what you were actually after; happy, joyful, vivacious, crisp. So that's a good idea, to keep soft and vintage in your mind as you fall in love with a gazillion fabrics. (You can always change your mind, but just keep it in mind :)

Your room is stuck in my mind, lol. I was thinking just an hour or so ago how you'd mentioned you want the arm chair fabric to be a focal point. I would translate that to another level -- your fp is the architectural focal point of the room, so the chairs would actually be supporting that (so, not to dominate). I'd be more inclined to invest in a great piece of original art, for instance, that really speaks to you. You can get really divine fabric for some really special and beautiful pillows on the chair, too, instead of covering the entire chair in a terribly costly fabric. And, maybe a paisley throw!

So, what are your room dimensions? The width looks like maybe about 15'. I'm not sure that's enough to really pull furniture out away from the wall too much (window/table/sofa idea). Actually, I'm thinking about your wt's -- since the window is a secondary focal in the room, you might want a sheer or something since the view looks to be to the street. What were your thoughts there? Often our picture windows don't actually look out over something picturesque! :)

That's a good idea to think about how you want your room to look -- collected over time or a more formulated designer look. CC showrooms, being the fabric stores that they are!, do have a very formulated and coordinated 'new' look. Kind of like -- furnishings collected over time vs a particular designer's collections that they've put together or designed for the marketplace.

CC seems to have sales all the time, I would breath until you've resolved some things. You're still working your thoughts, ideas, and preferences! Are you still considering the RH panels? Thought about your rug?

HTH!

... PS developer! -- Well, be sure to show your hubby this curb appeal thread then (linked), for a more extensive tour of some of today's photoshopping applications!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Curb Appeal Thread

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would like to have a collected over time look--at least as far as the wood pieces go. In fact, I wanted to share pics of the two latest Craigslist finds: the mirror over sideboard I picked up last Monday (we're waiting for buffet lamps I ordered before we hang it) and today DH picked up the two round tables. I am looking for three additional pieces: a sofa/console table (perhaps demilune), a coffee table, and an entry table (leaning towards an antique game table). Also am considering a corner curio cabinet and one day will inherit my grandmother's secretary. I love the idea of 1-2 inlay pieces--though have only seen at online auctions through eBay. I also like the idea of working in some antique botinical prints on the walls in the dining room. This is my vision so far and will definitely happen over time as I look for various vintage pieces. However, I do want to get the bones there in the next few months at least--which I consider the upholstered items which we want to purchase new (DH wants the sofa to be a sofabed) and WT.

{{gwi:1879626}}

{{gwi:1839510}}

At the same time I want to operate under a basic floorplan--esp. if I am spending money on various pieces. I do like the idea of spending money for a nice work of art over the fireplace which is indeed the focal point. We installed accent lighting to aim at the wall over the fireplace so makes sense in that aspect. I've drawn up three possible floorplans. Only difference is two have 2 arm chairs and the third a single arm chair and love seat. All variations center seating around the fireplace and not the external walls.

{{gwi:1609237}}

{{gwi:1691449}}

{{gwi:1691449}}

{{gwi:1879627}}

I would like to invest in a nice oriental rug for the dining room and for the living room, I'm not decided yet--that will definitely be the collected over time piece as we may put in an inexensive rug in the short term.

Regarding the windows I've taken a few shots of each one. We had been advised to do the same window treatments for each. Though before we had sheers under pinch pleats in both, after we put in the bay window, DH would like to have roman shades for the dining and so we were thinking to do so in the living as well. View is of the street, but we have selected a style that looks good both up and down.

{{gwi:1879628}}

{{gwi:1879629}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You might want to post your floor plans in a new thread for dial-uppers :)

Well, it looks like you're doing a great job planning your space! Nice to see you working with a floor plan to see just what the room can do before actually making purchases.

I seem to like plan #2 the best, esp since the circulation is better, although I'm still not sure about the sofa table. I think I'd try a small service table to the right of the chair in front of the fp. That would also be a great spot to highlight a special or unusual chair find, maybe another antique piece. A sculptural wooden chair (something with arms maybe for sitting comfort) or an unusually shaped Old World upholstered piece that makes your heart sing :)

I still think you're rushing and I'd take the same care and time finding just the right upholstered pieces and fabrics for your room. From what you describe, and getting a better feel for what your heart desires for your home, I have trouble envisioning CC pieces -- unless of course you're going for an old & new look :)

There are some great small scale sofas around, more at love seat size, with curvy lines, maybe with some wood on them, maybe old pieces -- a couple of those flanking the fp and a beautiful ottoman or table between, chairs entrance side is a nice cozy conversational area. Built-ins and bookcases also give a charming old-home feel. I wonder if you could flank the window with bookcases, do some charming wood shutters and build out a deep window sill. I think you could still work a bit of fabric around the window area to soften it.

Since you want to invest in a fine rug, that would seem the best place to start with your room as it's part of the envelope or foundation for the space and will set the colors, tone, and feel for the space.

I was on BeautifulFabrics.com (lost that site for a while :) looking for soft, vintage feel colors and fabrics. Maybe wander around there a bit, they do have some beautiful fabrics!

These last two are vintage European fabrics. They have such a beautiful quality about them that's hard to capture in new textiles. It might be nice to see if there are any old textiles you could use for pillows or chair seats. Even to frame!

{{gwi:1879637}}

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I like the way you have floorplan #2 done. It looks like it would feel open and inviting & incorporates your piano.

Have you browsed thru Horchow.com? They have really nice looking drapes. You could even look at their furniture and see if anything grabs you. I think their furniture is overpriced but it is free browsing!! :)

I love the paisley that you picked out. I felt there was something off about it with the drapes, thou. I think the fabric you are thinking about for the shades is very formal. When I saw the red velvet, I felt like that brought it the herringbone, and paisley fabric together. I also think you need a stronger stripe more like on the chair from Ethan Allen to pull in all the colors of the paisley fabric. What about keeping the drapes in both rooms simple....a golden silk with beautiful bouillon fringe in the reds, golds & greens framing the drapes. Make your pillows and upholster your DR chairs in the striped fabric to tie the rooms together. You would need to find one smaller print fabric for lumbar pillows on the paisley chairs.

Does this make any sense??

Your new tables look lovely!! I can never find anything on Craigslist :(

Are you thinking of getting your sofa and chairs from Calico?

Smiles:)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

floorplan #2 is one I came up with; floorplan #1 is by the Ethan Allan designer. I wanted an honest opinion, though, not just parroting my own preference so that is good to hear. I was wondering if she is recommending #1 in order to #1 justify the higher priced chair fabric (focal point) and also a lovely demilune table that they sell. If I go with my plan, I would definitely consider a much simpler sofa table (if I need one at all) since it won't be very visable.

squirrelhaven: I guess you could say we are going with a mix or old and new. I don't want to go totally old as it would not match the style of the house--which is a remodeled CA ranch--as well as that of the other rooms. It's is more the feeling that I want to convey. DH is actually very nervous about mixing too many fabrics--doesn't not even want two different styled chairs so there are his preferences to toss into the mix as well. Of the fabrics you posted, in particular I like the Peruse Chantilly--something embroidered on a light background. I keep coming back to this floral fabric from CC--only concern is does it work with the WT fabric?
    {{gwi:1854799}}
    Once I get this fabric picked, then I can coordinate with a stripe. I like the idea of making my own pillows.

The rug will be for the dining room in the near term. My budget (and kids) will dictate going for something simple in the living room--perhaps even a tone on tone look to blend everything together. DH is getting really antsy and wants it all done yesterday as these rooms face the street with no WT and when we have friends over we are all cramped in the family room and kids are relegated to their bedrooms.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't believe I am seriously considering this option, but just spied these two Duncan Phyfe style chairs on eBay. If these were local, I'd check them out tomorrow--only problem I'd have to bid and hope the shipping is not outrageous. I did send email to seller asking for shipping charges. I wonder if the arm that is scratched could be fixed? Not sure what he means by "fabric is a wash", though I asked. It looks pretty good from here.

We've been debating whether to do an upholstered armchair (with legs showing) or one of the wood style ones with arms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arms chairs on eBay

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh, ok, so dh doesn't want two different chairs. I was wondering if CC was pushing all upholstery, with the usual big sofa and two stuffed lounge chairs. They also seem to take up a lot of floor space in the plan. So, I was thinking maybe something a little smaller. A mix of the wood and fabric feels smaller due to the bulk -- I imagine three large stuffed pieces feeling a bit bulky or heavy. Not so much in arrangement #2 though.

I do like those eBay chairs! Don't know about the arm condition and such, but styling-wise I think it would be nice, so everything isn't fully-stuffed :) I also think a one-cushion sofa would be nice if you haven't ruled it out :)

Maybe show the pic (get a close-up?) to a furniture repair shop -- and get the price for reupholstering them as well. Are they solid wood?

The floral fabric is very pretty. For me, though, seeing flowers all lined up in a row, and facing the same direction ... I just like to see them more free flowing or asymmetrical in some way. I would consider how it will lay out on the specific chair.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Sorry, your question popped back into my head! No, I don't think the curtain fabrics match the floral and stripe. It's very dressy and formal for them.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I heard back from the seller and he quoted me about $500 in shipping and said that the upholstery could get by with a cleaning, but probably needed to be redone; that plus the one arm is making me hesitate. If it was local, I would highly consider it because I like the lines of the chairs and it's mahogany. All new repro antiques are hardwood with mahogany stain.

That said, I did find another possible fabric. It's more expensive than the others, though less than the Ethan Allan one. It's also more delicate and would lend itself more to a wood chair. It's all a wash though as I'd take only about 1/2 the yardage, but the frame costs more.

{{gwi:1879639}}

I'd put it on a chair like this:

{{gwi:1879640}}

Here it is next to the fireplace. I like how the background goes with my travertine:
    {{gwi:1853737}}

Against bone colored wall:
    {{gwi:1879641}}

It sounds like you think wood chairs similar to the eBay ones would work better than upholstered ones with legs showing? As for the sofa, DH wants it to be a sofa bed which limits the choices, but we are going with the design-your-own version: two cushions, rolled arms, knife edge back with a skirt (though can switch it over to legs).

It also calls into question my WT choices. I can see a greem working really well and RH has a nice thyme one that I could probably switch over to (see below pic). That would mean starting over the roman shades choice, though.

{{gwi:1879642}}

I also found a DF lyre style coffee table on eBay--shipping is $$, but right now the bid is $9.99 (so all total it's in my budget). I recall what another poster said about tying in something musical since the piano is there.

{{gwi:1879643}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi Val,

That is a beauuutiful fabric! Love all the colors together too :). I am wondering if it looks like a bedroom fabric, though, maybe because it looks like a chenille from here? The other thing I'm thinking, is it's very French. The wood pieces you're collecting are clean lined, delicate, and English in style, so maybe looking for some fabrics with an English influence would blend better. I've linked one site with fabrics from JH Thorpe in England, just for some ideas on the feel. There are some similar urn style fabrics there, where you can see the difference in styling to the French versions. There are a couple fabrics you might like but it's a discount place and the yardage on some is limited, and some are still ridiculously expensive! But maybe you can ask the CC designer to show you some English style fabrics. I really like the second from the top in the colors you've been looking at, and the second and fourth from the bottom.

I like the idea of some wood on the chairs, and a bit smaller in scale than the fully upholstered, boxy lounge style. From the floorplan, it looked like you might be getting 'large' upholstered chairs. Something a bit different and lighter than the sofa is what I was thinking. Even a wing chair would feel more delicate and open I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: JH Thorpe fabrics from England

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's to try to get the feel of some English fabrics on the chairs, etc. The marquetry chest is just to give the feel of some of that, it could be a decorative box or something. A little more green with plants and maybe in the rug ...

{{gwi:1879644}}