SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Buying North Carolina Furniture - Is It Worth It ?

Nancy Barginear
16 years ago

Several years ago, we purchased a Pulaski bedroom suite at one of the North Carolina discount furniture stores. We sent them a $2,000 deposit and were promised delivery in two months. The furniture did not arrive, so I began calling, to no avail. I was afraid we would never see our money or furniture. I ended up calling Pulaski Furniture (the manufacturer, contacting the Attorney General of North Carolina, etc. It took six months before our furniture was finally delivered.

As it was explained to me, many of these NC furniture vendors do not have the merchandise in their stores. They have to special order it from the manufacturers, who wait until they have a sufficient number of orders before they make another "cut" or "run." Apparently, it isn't uncommon to have to wait much longer than the quoted two months.

When the bedroom furniture finally arrived, there was some minor damage, and the delivery service sent a man out within a week to repair the furniture. We did save several thousand dollars but I wondered at the time if it was worth the hassle.

In March of 2006, we again ordered more furniture, this time a Pulaski dining room suite. Of course, it didn't arrive as promised in two months. It was more like four. When it finally got here, the dining room table was defective, two chairs were broken, a corner was sheared off of the buffet, and the glass in the china cabinet doors was permanently milky. The delivery service assembled two chairs, and left the others lying in pieces all over the living room floor. They scratched the bottom shelf of the china cabinet while trying to install the glass shelves. They installed the shelf brackets upside down, and tore off all the felt pads, so those had to be replaced, too.

After many letters and telephone calls, the defective table was replaced, only to discover that the leaves were badly damaged. Back went the table and the leaves.

The china cabinet was finally replaced, and when the delivery men were setting it on top of the china cabinet base, they left a screw on the base top, and scarred the top when sliding the upper section in place.

We waited for a long time before they ever brought a table back to us that was free of defects.

Finally, over a year later, one of the delivery men touched up most of the small nicks and scratches. The buffet was eventually replaced. I should be ecstatic that it only has one small nick in the very front edge.

The last piece to be replaced was the china cabinet base that they had damaged. The delivery service called before Thanksgiving, telling me they would deliver the base on Nov. 25th, 26th or 27th. They called again at the end of last week and told me they would be here on the 27th. It was due to arrive today, but they did not show up. This afternoon, I called long distance to High Point, wanting to know if they were coming. I learned that the truck was in Louisiana and wasn't scheduled to be in Texas until Thursday. The man said he'd call me back, but it's almost 6 P.M. now, so I don't think I'll hear from him.

Delivery will not be possible on Thursday, as I have other concrete plans that I cannot change at this late date. One year and nine months later, we still do not have an undamaged dining room suite. I cannot tell you how many times we have had to remove all the china from these cabinets and scatter dishes all over the house, waiting on these people to replace damaged furniture.

Some people are obviously lucky, I suppose, when buying furniture from NC furniture dealers. As for us, never again will we go through this.

Comments (9)