SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kismet08_gw

Wood look laminate flooring - opinions?

kismet08
15 years ago

Here's the deal. I currently have laminate countertops. I don't have a ton of counter space, so I would like to replace it with granite. Estimates to do so aren't too bad, given I don't have much space to cover.

The problem is, I also have vinyl sheet flooring. Not one of the newer kinds that can sort of look like tile either. We're talking diamond accents on shiny grids. It's spread like a growth through the back of the house: kitchen, dinette, laundry room, powder room and the back hall. DH and I both agree - if we change out the countertops, the floor has got to change with it.

I also have an office that is right off the kitchen, that I'd like to rip out the carpet and replace with the same flooring as the kitchen. It's a dual purpose sort of room, could be a formal dining, could be an office (has french doors on it).

This means a total of over 650 sq ft, less the laundry and powder room area, as I may do tile in those two places. So, I started pricing hardwood floors, as that would be first choice. OUCH! Even the engineered pre-finished click is pushing 4k, which, btw, exceeded my installed granite estimate by quite a bit.

On the other hand, Lumber Liquidators has a laminate floating floor - wood look, light maple, for .78 sq ft. THe whole thing would cost me something like $549, and we could install ourselves. We have some laminate wood flooring in our basement, which I feel is totally appropriate and looks pretty darn decent, imo. SO, I was thinking...maybe this would be a good alternative. At least until I have fewer kids at home (by fewer, I mean less than the FIVE I have, hehe) and the dogs are too old to chase each other around and ruin the finish on real floors.

So, my question to the fine people of this forum is: Would that look stupid? I mean, you know laminate when you feel it, not necessarily when you SEE it - but when you walk on it - yeah, you know. So, if I upscale my counters...is a wood look laminate not upscaling the floors enough? I have to consider this as we move often, and its never off the table. Of course, I'm thinking it can't be worse than what's already there. Opinions? experience? suggestions?

Comments (22)