SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmkitchen

Little Boy's Bedroom Fabric Choices -- Advice Please

rmkitchen
16 years ago

I'd love some help, please.

I have a three year-old son and I've finally found some fabrics I want to use for his bedroom, only I'm not sure which to use for what purpose.

I'll want to make (or have made, depending on industrious I am!) a duvet cover, upholstered headboard, tailored bedskirt, pillow shams, window seat cover, and curtain for under window seat storage.

The walls are Pratt & Lambert's Bone White, the ceiling and trim are Benjamin Moore's Calming Cream; we put up plantation shutters (so will need no additional window treatments), and his bureau and bedside table are old Japanese tansus. The artwork I plan to put up is still down in the basement in boxes .... The bed is a twin and the window seat, built into an alcove, is 7'x4'; underneath it is open shelving. I'd like to have a curtain on a rod there to cover it up.

Okay, my fabrics:

I was thinking of this ("blue gondola fabric") for the duvet cover:

and maybe this ("stripey fabric") for the headboard and tailored bedskirt:

and these (ginghams) for pillows (both on the window seat and the bed):

and either of these for the window seat cover:

("flag fabric" -- although it could also be a good choice for the headboard / bedskirt, or even duvet cover)

(although I'm thinking this ["car fabric"] in a different colorway might be better [because the cherry background is vibrant, and I'm somewhat concerned it might fight the blue of the gondola fabric]: it also comes with a blue background [the same blue as the proposed duvet cover])

and then there's also this ("ball fabric"), although it's not my favorite but I thought maybe its simplicity and matching colors might be a good thing:

So, what do you think? Which fabric would you recommend for which purpose? Because of the size of the window seat cushion, I figured it should have a larger scale on it (not one of the ginghams), and I thought the stripey fabric might be too much for it. Or it might be fine ....

I also don't know what to do with the under-seat curtain. Should it be the same as the fabric I use for the window seat cover? I'm concerned if I do the same as whatever I use for the headboard / bedskirt it'll be too much.

I think I'm just confused. I know I am, in fact.

I've really enjoyed lurking and occasionally contributing on this forum for months, so I do appreciate the clear eyes you all bring.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Comments (7)