SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Staging the living room - tell me if I'm on the right track?

TxMarti
10 years ago

The beams are done and I just have a few touch up things in the room before new flooring. I also have to paint the hall and foyer, so it won't be this week. But I plan on buying furniture on CL and that could take awhile, so I'd like to know what will work in there so I can watch for the right pieces.

This is the room today from back and front:

Oh yes, and get the scaffold out. Yay! I hope someone does an intervention if I ever consider buying another house with vaulted ceiling.

This is the layout of the living room and adjoining rooms.

The problems I have always had with the room are the two areas marked with the red Xs. I know you can figure out where the traffic patterns are, but I marked them with green lines anyway. I've tried chairs in those corners and it just doesn't work. They become isolated from the rest of the furniture. Lately I've had deep shelving units there and that has worked best.

Also, the framing for the windows must have been done on a Monday because someone didn't do their math. And I can't figure out how to make the windows look the same. I put curtains on them at one time, with the rod from wall to fireplace and that helped, but was still obvious when they were open.

I am totally open to suggestions. I've gotten a few ideas from browsing online. One is to put a round table directly in front of the front door, with a couple of chairs and a small coffee table facing the fireplace, kind of like this:

Beach Style Living Room by Chatham Architects & Designers Polhemus Savery DaSilva

Edited to add how that would work in my room:

Or four chairs in front of the fireplace with a round table or ottoman between them, like this

Traditional Family Room by Atlanta Architects & Designers Cole Design Studio, LLC

Edited to add how it would work in my room:

{{gwi:1877904}}

I'm not sure there is room for that though. 14 feet seems pretty big until I add room to walk around the furniture.

I like the grouping of chairs look, but the odds of finding three or four matching chairs in a decent color and style are slim to none on CL.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 22:41

Comments (27)