SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

I'm back! Living Room decisions - plate rail & green paint!

nutmegxo
14 years ago

Many of you were so helpful to me with my dining room decorating and so now I am back for advice and input on my living room.

I live in a center hall colonial. So when you walk in the front door you are standing in a 2 story foyer and to your right is the dining room and to the left is the living room. This is my dining room which I just completed...it is painted in BM Windham Cream on top and below is BM Linen White.

{{gwi:1883501}}

So, in my living room I plan on painting it the same sage green that is in my family room sofa (which is visible from the living room). I am considering using either Cheyenne Green or Paris Rain as that paint card most closely resembles the sage of that sofa. I am undecided as to which shade to use. I want it to look balanced with the Windham Cream in the dining room so am thinking that maybe the Cheyenne Green might be too dark. If anyone is familiar with these colors, I would love your input.

I want to put it in a plate rail approx. 2/3 up on the wall in the living room. I have been researching this and it seems the proper height for plate rails are between 5 and 6 feet (I have 9 foot ceilings). I am wondering if this will look imbalanced with my dining room or am I analyzing this too much?? The chair rail in the dining room is at the standard 3' high. Will it look bad to have the division on the wall in my living room be higher than the dining room? Does that make sense?

Originally I was thinking to paint below the plate rail in the Linen White and above it the green. But I have been looking at various pictures and maybe it would be better to paint the entire wall green and just leave the plate rail in the Linen White.

Any advice/suggestions/photos greatly appreciated :)

Comments (13)