SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zartemis

Corner cabinet mess, advice please

zartemis
12 years ago

As windows and framing go in on our remodel we find fresh problems. So, I'm seeking opinions and perhaps fresh ideas about a corner wall cabinet issue.

Because our kitchen is small and has few upper cabinets, we had hoped to make them 15 or 16 inches deep (there are other counters without upper cabs at all).

Turns out that the stove requires adjacent cabinets (out to 12 inches beside the stove) be no more than 13 inches deep. So we couldn't do this:

Since the cabinets to the right of the stove would be too deep.

If we made them the standard 12" then, besides losing storage, the cabinets surrounding the window on the side wall would no longer be symmetric to the window unless we shortened up that run of cabinets as well. Like so:

Solution 1: just make the front cabs standard depth and live with the non-symmetric window (who will notice anyway?):

Solution 2: Make the front cabs 12" deep, shorten up the run on the other wall and just live with less cabinet space and a foot of wall on either side of the window doing nothing (other than make us wish we ordered a bigger window)

Solution 3: put a standard diagonal cab in the corner. 22 by 22 inches (can't go much wider, otherwise we run into window trim). I don't like these -- little door, hard to access. But may be best compromise and looks normalish.

layout would be:

View would look like:

Solution 4:

Get weirder. Do staggered cabs (2 levels or 3). The front wall is non-symmetric anyway. First cab gets us out past the no-combustibles zone and is also just wide enough to fit our cooks favorite spice trays that he likes to have by the stove. Since the last cab is back in the corner, I upped the depth to 18" and even added additional upper cabs to the right of the window so this buys additional upper cab space.

plan with 3 levels of cabs:

view:

Cabs are custom, will be shaker front, mini-frame (which has a frameless look, but actually has a face frame as wide as the cab walls are thick. Cab divisions aren't set yet, so they are somewhat random in the above pics. Side window is in so is now permanent. 8' ceilings. There will be a simple crown molding (angular).

Your thoughts? Other ideas?

Comments (37)