SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baligirl_gw

Finished: Traditional with copper pots, marble table, wood ctops

baligirl
12 years ago

Thanks to all of you for inspiration on our kitchen remodel. While the trim and final paint coat aren't done, I figured it's time to post. I hope there are a few ideas here that help others as much as I was helped by all who went before me in their remodels. If you're interested to see what we started with (I feel we avoided a disaster) please visit the link below.

The house is a 1930 colonial in the Como Park neighborhood of Saint Paul, MN. A large addition was added to the house in 1995 but no thought was given to the flow between spaces. This remodel was done on what I consider to be a moderate budget and included a total gut of walls, floor and ceiling, the removal of two load bearing walls and installing two new beams, new red oak floors to match rest of house, all new appliances, and the addition of a very small powder room. It has completely changed the flow of the house for the better, and added a bathroom on the main floor of the house which was a huge improvement.

Here are a few details:

- semi-custom, frameless birch cabinets painted SW Dover White

- countertops: Ikea Numerar beech, stained slightly with minwax and three coats of waterlox original

- tile: Tile Shop, Lonsdale carrara marble in two sizes

- knobs: Martha Stewart from Home Depot

- pulls: Restoration Hardware, Lugarno in oil rubbed bronze

- marble topped island: Crate & Barrel

- pendants & pot rack: Creative Lighting in St. Paul, MN

- double-bowl, over-mount fireclay farmhouse sink: Ikea Domsjo (love it!)

- cooktop: GE Profile 36" induction (love, love, love it!)

- ovens: GE Profile 30" single/double oven

- hood: Kenmore, cheap but works fine

- dishwasher: Bosch

- fridge: Samsung

- microwave & faucet: our old ones that still work fine

- copper pots: my husband's grandmothers, now for decoration only due to induction cooktop

I know there has been interest in the past in issues such as soffits, beams, wood countertops, induction cooktops, copper pot racks, etc. Please ask follow-up questions, I'm happy to help.

Thanks again - I really appreciated all I learned here and the support I got in the process!

Photos:

Kitchen from dining room:

From New kitchen

From great room addition:

From New kitchen

New fridge, old microwave:

From New kitchen

Ikea sink, two-tiered island:

From New kitchen

Dish drawer - great for getting small kids to help in kitchen:

From New kitchen

Pull-out spice racks, solved issue of a 36 inch cooktop over a 30 inch oven:

From New kitchen

Free-standing marble table from Crate & Barrel:

From New kitchen

Teeny-tiny powder-room we snuck into a hall space and built out over a stairwell:

From New kitchen
From New kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Before photos

Comments (54)