SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
i_m_fletcher

Almost Finished - White / Marble / Soapstone

i_m_fletcher
13 years ago

Thank to everyone here who offered me advice - either in direct response to my requests on one of the hundreds of other threads upon which I lurked.

Here are some snapshots of my almost finished kitchen. Apologies for the snapshot quality of the photos - I'm hoping to do a better photo shoot once the final items are complete. All that remains is final sanding / poly of floors, finishing backsplash install, touchup painting and some cabinet fixes (e.g. glass shelves in the glass front cab so that light fills the entire cabient.)

View from end of island looking towards range / sink:

View from end of island looking towards mudroom / pantry:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx215/Dbox_mm95/Kitchen Reno/BG3.jpg

View from sink looking towards family room:

View from mudroom looking towards back porch:

View from pantry looking towards sink:

Pantry detail shots:

Sink detail shot:

Rangetop / sink window detail shot:

Comments (75)

• suzluvsflowers
    13 years ago

Wow!!! That is one beautiful kitchen! Love everything about it really. I have twins also, but mine are grown up... our oldest was 2 when they were born, so I understand how crazy busy your life has been! Enjoy them- time goes quickly.

• Susan
    13 years ago

swoon.
    thud...

• Related Discussions

Finished Kitchen (+1 Year)- White / Marble / Mahogany / Soapstone

Q

Comments (54)
    Beautiful kitchen!! I am just starting or should I say 6 months in the designing phase of a remodel. I have changed my mind so many times & very in decisive. I was sure I would go with a contemporary walnut slab cabinet. Changed my mind to white cabinets with the Calcutta marble with a wood island. It is really funny that I ran across your kitchen cause it has the x glass cabinets that I just decided on a few days ago and wood floors. I am meeting with the cabinet maker in a few days to go over the changes. After seeing your kitchen I am now sure I am making the right selections. I just voted for your kitchen, of course, it is the most stunning kitchen!!! Good luck!
    ...See More

update: finally finished kitchen (white & soapstone)

Q

Comments (36)
    Thanks, everyone! Let me try to respond to your questions and thoughts: @thedinos, my Miele is an H4044BM. It isn't hard to clean--the glass tray slides out easily and cleans nicely. BUT, the broiler heating element is hard to clean--it's been splattered with something, so when I use the broil, setting, I'm getting a smokey mess. I tried cleaning it, but didn't have much luck (I didn't try too hard!) and now I use my big oven to broil. @aek9y, I LOVE my griddle! I use it so often, I'm amazed! It's a workhorse! @gabytx12, my cabinets are not the whitest white they offered. But I'm pretty sure the color is called "white", haha! I know they said their colors match up with benjamin moore colors, but I don't recall anymore what that match up was? They did give me a touch-up kit. I'm very happy with the color--and the finish--I think it's perfect :) the island is a dark brown stain, not black, maybe espresso? and we originally had a nicer wood, but downgraded to the maple that our painted cabinets are, too...and I'm happy with it! I really love the contrast of my soapstone on white cabs and the marble on my dark cabinets. It makes me so happy! And I'm also so glad that I used 2 different counter surfaces. I use them differently--and my marble is so strong and sturdy, for all the use it gets! And I feel like my soapstone is just MINE--I'm the only one who works on it--like it's my little secret :) So great!! and thanks to everyone else--CEFreeman and aokat, great to hear from you again! I know you know my troubles to get to this point! It was a long process, but if not for that process, I never would have ended up with this kitchen! It just feels so right in my house and makes my house feel complete! I'm so happy!!
    ...See More

Finito! one more white/marble/soapstone kitchen

Q

Comments (102)
    THanks so much, Willow. Yes, the marble is polished. The slab came that way, and I thought it was going to get honed, but it didn't. I decided to try it out like that, partly because it's so pretty, and partly because I thought the kitchen needed a little bling -- muted colors, matte soapstone, brushed stainless, why not try something polished? I do not baby it. I haven't left red wine on it all night or anything, but it doesn't seem to stain at all. I do not know what sealer they used; I will contact the fabricator and find out. It was in a big jug with no label, just sharpie pen "marble sealant" or something like that. I imagine they just refill from larger containers. Yes, there are etches. I pay little attention to them, they certainly don't jump out. There is so much going on in there, that frankly I don't think they are very noticeable. I get a lot of natural light, so there are trees reflected in it. And there are tons of different colors and shadows already, maybe you can see from the pic of the slab. Not only white and gray and gold but black and rust and beige and pale pale gray, etc. So maybe it's different than having something a little less active. Or maybe I just don't see things that others do. But so far, it's been wonderful!
    ...See More

white inset, soapstone, marble, cherry remodel

Q

Comments (5)
    I also loved that kitchen and would love to know more about it. You can still see the pictures of the ktichen that were clipped by gardenweb member KETC at this link: http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/ketc Here is a link that might be useful: cliffandjoann kitchen
    ...See More
  • katsmah
    13 years ago

I agree with fallingwaters.... swoon. Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous. I can't even begin with what I like the best, because it is all so beautifully done. You made wonderful design choices.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW - a beautiful kitchen. Love the marble, soapstone and lights. Everything is beautiful. Enjoy.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Whoa! Love the kitchen. I like the mix of counter tops that you used and especially like the use of wood on the island and on the floor. It really warms the space up.

• muskokascp
    13 years ago

Congratulations on a stunning space!! You managed to pack in a lot of kitchen and tied it all together wonderfully.

Is the island 9X 4? Can I ask about the microwave space? I want to do a similar thing and am looking for a sleek compact microwave to put in the island and it looks like you have done just that. What brand/model is it and how much opening did you allow for it? Also - are those pull out baskets below it for potatoes/onions?

Again - enjoy your new kitchen - all that hard work payed off!

• kathylquiltz
    13 years ago

Breathtaking! So light and inviting. If I were a guest, I'd have a hard time leaving! Enjoy it in good health and happiness!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Beautiful, so big and bright! Love your cohesive mix of materials. May I ask what your floors are; species and color? Also which shape did you choose for the AS glace glass tiles; square, round or rectangular?

Thanks for sharing and please post again when you get the range backsplash in!

• donna murphy
    13 years ago

@ falling waters. "swoon. thud." hilarious, still LOLing.
    fletcher, Love your kitchen so much! stunning, love the soapstone and wood top. I'm visiting granite yards now. oh the pain and agony of decision making. I also have twins, mine are 13 years old. Enjoy your babies, I sure miss those sweet (exhausting) days!

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

I swear I would never leave that kitchen! I wouldn't want to go to work and maybe I'd sleep on that island! It's one of the prettiest I've seen.

• sayde
    13 years ago

So pretty! All the materials work so well together, and it is a wonderful warm space. Thank you for sharing details. I had not heard of Calacatta Rugine before and since I'm looking at white marbles this was a very timely post.

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi~

Wow-Totally love it!!

Congrats on a stunning new space! Your hard work & planning sure look worth it!

I saved a few pics b/c we went with soapstone & marble in this house, but I'm thinking of some wood counters next go round!

Thanks for sharing such detailed pics & info.
    Happy New Year!

Katie

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, what an amazing giant space! Love the combo of the different types of counters, and the wine fridge/prep area is awesome.

• chatty3867
    13 years ago

Whoa, Wow, Gosh, Oh My, Holy Mother of Pearl. That's really all I could muster at that given moment. :-)

I have been stalking this site since just before my first post. This is one of my favorites. I am getting some great ideas and I just love your kitchen.

The wood on the island is lovely too.

Thanks for sharing.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Love your choices. Hope you will post when you get the backsplash up. It will look great.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Lovely. My favorite part is all the windows! How open it feels.

I am using the same Ann Sacks Glace tile for my girls' bathroom ... it has such a subtle iridescence, i love it.

Enjoy!

• tamihs13
    13 years ago

Stunning. Kitchen well done. Would you mind sharing what color paint you used on the cabinetry? It's beautiful.

• home4all6
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing the additional information! Your space is very similar to what I want to add on the back of my house, turning the tiny kitchen into a mudroom/butler's pantry space between the DR and the new kitchen, with a new family room being part of the addition for us, too. We are only in the planning stages with our architect, but we are hoping to move quickly on it. And I have 13 month old twins, a 4 year old, and a 6 year old too! So I want to get it planned as well as possible so that we can get through it quickly (I know it will NOT be fun!) and have the end results to enjoy with our family! Your kitchen space gives me so much hope (and the fact that you did it with small children too!)
    I'd love to see more photos--any of the mudroom? And I may try to reach out to you again as we get closer to build-time, if you wouldn't mind terribly :)
    Thanks for the inspiration! --Enjoy your family space with your family!!!

• nolefan_2006
    13 years ago

Simply GLORIOUS! Well done!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

I absolutely LOVE this kitchen! Congratulations on turning out a truly fantastic, very functional, very engaging, work of art!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Yikes - you managed to fit all my favorite counters into one kitchen and made them complement each other beautifully!
    That is one serious hunk of kitchen!
    I think all I'd need was a bathroom and that kitchen and I would love happily ever after ;)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I saw I had subconsciously hit the word love instead of live. Wonder how that happened, lol...

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone! I figured I'd sumarize the different materials / choices in a single post. I'll also answer some questions directly after.

Kitchen Design Summary:

• Cabinets: Painted Maple built by local cabinet maker - local is a suburb southwest of Boston. Inset doors, self closing drawers. The finish is a sprayed on pre-cat lacquer that is tinted to match the BM Ivory White color.

• Cabinet Options: Includes pull out trash drawer wtih two cans to the right of sink. "Magic Corner" pullout in corner of L perimeter cabinets. Wicker baskets underneath microwave for fruit / vegetable storage. Vertical dividers in cabinet above oven. Spice drawer insert in top left island drawer. Knife drawer insert in top drawer to the left of rangetop. Dish drawer inserts (pegboard with adjustable plate holding pegs) in island drawers. Utensil and gadget dividers in misc drawers. Specialized rack on dry good cabinet that allows for storage on dor but puts weight in cabinet carcass.

• Colors: Walls are Ben Moore Pittsfield Buff (HC-24) and the trim and cabinets are Ben Moore Ivory White (925).

• Countertops: 3cm Calacatta Ruggine on perimeter, 5cm Utile Mahogany (edge grain butcher block) for island, 3cm Minas soapstone for pantry. Slab backsplash on perimeter is 2cm Calacatta Ruggine and slab backsplash for pantry is 2cm Minas soapstone.

• Hardware: Mix of Restoration Hardware including Gillmore cup pulls (4in), Gillmore Knobs, Traditional Clear Glass Knobs and Bistro Pulls (8in and 6in). All hardware is polished nickel.

• Lighting: Pendants are RH Clemson pendants in 14" size. General recessed lights are Cree CR6 LED lights. Oversink recessed lights are Cree LR4 LED lights. Undercabinet lights are xenon dimable light bars. In cabinet lights are xenon puck lights. all lights are dimmable.

• Floor: Rift sawn white oak stained to match existing floor (seen in family room pictures.) Floor has radient heating underneath, hence the need for rift sawn.

• Bar Stools: Pier One Mason Bar Stool in chocolate.

• Rangetop: Wolf 48" gas open burner with grill and griddle. Model #RT484CG

• Ventilation: Wolf 48" Pro Range insert in custom wood enclosure. Model #462212. Fan is 1200 cfm remote blower located on far side of garage (~20 ft connected by 10" duct.) Model #801642.

• Ovens: Wolf E series double oven - convection on top, regular on bottom. Model #DO302FSTH

• Dishwasher: Miele Optima II mounted to the right of the sink. Model #G2472SCVi

• Fridge: Subzero 27" Integrated Fridge only - located on sink wall next to paired wall cabinet for dry good storage behind island. Model #700TRLH.

• Pantry Fridge: Subzero 24" Undercounter Integrated Fridge located in pantry area on wall with freezer. Model #UC24R-LH.

• Freezer: Subzero 27" Integrated Freezer only - located in pantry area. Model #700TFIRH.

• Wine Cooler: Subzero Integrated full length wine fridge located in pantry area. Model #427GLH.

• Microwave: Sharp R530 countertop...

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lavender lass: I'd be happy to share some pictures of the pergola, but the wole backyard is still under construction. Until the masons finish thier work, the deck is just framing. So while we do have a pergola, it doesn't look like much yet. The window bump out next to it hasa copper roof and the pergola will be white with round columns over a tropical hardwood decking (ipe.) The small deck will look over a ground level patio that is ~20x12 and another elevated patio with a firepit that is a circular ~14' diameter circle. No plans for planting yet, part of me like the idea of planting something to grow on the pergola, but the cold climate (Boston) and the need for maintenance makes me concerned it would end up as an eyesore and maintenance headache.

muskokascp: The island is 9x3.5'. The Microwave is a Sharp Carousel R530 that is ~ 24" wide, 13 3/4" high and 19" deep. The space it is sitting in is about 1" wider on the sides and top. The baskets below the MW are indeed to fruit / veggie storage. they work great!

island: The floors are golden oak, rift sawn (I incorrectly stated white oak above.) They were stained to match the exsting hardwoods in the house, although they don't match exactly (should improve over time.) We had to use rift sawn since we installed radiant heating. The radiant heating is excellent, although it was a bit of a headache to install since we had to lower the subfloor in order to match the existing floor height. The radiant is more efficient and makes for a nice room in the winter! The floors are your typical narrow plank hardwood floors with a satin poly finish (although they haven't finished the poly coats yet - we're allowing the wood to adjust to the heating system first.)

sayde: I used the incorrect spelling above in describing the marble. It is Calcatta Ruggine (two G's.) We like it and are ok with the fact that it etches. Seems pretty stain resistant so far (knock on wood) - we had it sealed.

ths13: The cabinet finish is pre-cat lacquer that was tinted to match the Ben Moore Ivory white color. It is a warm white that we are using for the trim throughout the house (except the basement which is a brighter white - White Dove.) the finish was sprayed on at the cabinet shop and is very nice (seems durable so far!)

home4all6: good luck in your remodel. It can definately be done and I recommend using the warm seasons as much as possible if you live somewhere cold like me - less likely to get cabin fever! We had pretty much everything picked out in advance which ensured we didn't hold up the process. In fact, I have a 46 page .pdf file I'd be happy to share with annotated example photos, floor plans, material choices, etc. My profile has my email functionality turned on, so just shoot me an email if you want it. I'd only ask that you avoid passing it along to others as it does have some personal info as well as drawings from our architect. If anyone else would find this...

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Someone told me they couldn't find this thread. Giving it a bump to help.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

How on earth did I miss this stunning kitchen?!?! It's gorgeous! I love everything about it but I especially love the corner windows. I could happily prep or do dishes or whatever in that lovely sunny corner. I'd have a smile plastered on my face all day long.

Okay, it's settled, I'm taking down a wall, stealing space from the deck, so that I might possibly be able to emulate your kitchen's set-up. Yeah. In my dreams. Sigh.

Thanks so much for sharing your lovely kitchen with us. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

• nini804
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, how absolutely lovely!! We are currently in the middle of a custom build of our new home, and seeing your kitchen is so inspiring to me! Our kitchen/breakfast room is open to the family room like yours, and we have chosen white painted maple cabinents as well. I am right now trying to decide about counters...and your marble is definitely swaying me in that direction!:) How is the wood holding up on your island? I was think about honed black granite on the island, but your wood is so yummy! Your kitchen is so pretty and sparkly, I keep coming back to look at it!

• artmeetsscience
    13 years ago

I can never resist a well designed white kitchen. Well done!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Wisteria is really pretty...but takes a lot of support. A chinese wisteria (zone 4) would be absolutely gorgeous, when it bloomed. Of course, I'm biased...that's what I would grow, if I had something strong enough to hold it...but I love lavender and purple :)

Your backyard sounds amazing! I can't wait to see pictures.

• mailfox7
    13 years ago

WOW! STUNNING!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Wowzahs! Amazing details. Absolutely stunning! Your marble is GAWJUS!

So white yet so warm. The flooring really and island really complement your other choices. White Kitchen perfection. The backsplash will be the icing on the already delicious cake. Congrats!

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for the compliments. The backsplash is going up this Tuesday, so hopefully we'll have a finished kitchen soon! Once we have the backsplash in, I'll take some more photos (non holiday this time) and share.

nini084: We love the marble, thanks for the compliments. So long as you're ok with a surface that isn't bullet proof, the marble is wonderful. I didn't see anything that had the same warm feel - it really matched our cabinets nicely and gave us the look we wanted. We've found the extra care needed isn't a big deal for us. The wood island has held up really well - we asked for a "bulletproof" finish. So far, so good. No reaction whatsoever to water and it seems pretty scratch resistant as well. We jsut clean with water and we've used polish once. I find you can make the room look more formal if you polish the wood and put out platters etc for parties or you can just wipe down with water for everyday living. The difference the wood made in terms of warming up the space was remarkable. Plus, years down the road when our kids are grown, if we want to refinish, it isn't that big of a deal - the slab is 2" thick, so plenty of room to sand off a layer if needed!

• thrilledtobuild
    13 years ago

STUNNING!! Having serious kitchen-envy right now! I love the corner windows. Glad to hear you like your Sonos system - we are planning for one in our new build. Love you LED lights as well. Congratulations!

• farm_wife78
    13 years ago

You have a gorgeous kitchen!! Love everything about it!!

• HulaGalJ
    13 years ago

I love your gorgeous kitchen! I also have 2yo twins and a 4 year old and cannot even imagine doing the renovation while living there with 3 kids. My hat is off to you, madam!

Would you mind passing on the name of your cabinetmaker, assuming you were happy with him?

TIA!

• mbw1
    13 years ago

Holy Good Lord!! When can I move in????

Spectacular, fabulous, amazing,,need I go on!

I don't have a fabulous kitchen like that (well it's just been redone as a totaly DIY reno and is very nice but not in that category at all!) but I do have a lovely pergola I can show you!LOL

My hubby built both our homes from scratch and can pretty much build anything I can dream up or find a photo of and since he is an I.T. guy by day he is pretty handy to have around!

Back yard is totally south facing and surrounded by 40-50 foot trees so it makes for a very hot micro-climate in the summer. We couldn't sit out on the deck on some days in July until the grapevine started growing.

Photo taken a few years after pergola was built in 2003

{{gwi:2105429}}

Photo taken in 2009, I make 17 jars of grape jelly this year from my Concorde grapes!
    {{gwi:2105430}}

• kellykath
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen - it is obvious you spent a huge amount of time and effort on this - well spent of course and it shows. If it is not too much trouble, could you tell me where you purchased the red runner on the floor? Its beautiful too!

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. We are enjoying the new space. Also, we've had the final outstanding items completed (backsplash, glass shelving, etc.) and love how it turned out. I'll do my best to post some new finished photos as soon as we can find the time to setup and take a few.

Couple of direct responses:
    thrilledtobuild: I think we corresponded via email, but let me know if you have any questions on the Sonos system. I'm happy to share photos of the setup or anything you might need.

hulagal: Our cabinetmaker is a local custom guy outside of Boston. The company name is Roger's cabinets in Norwood, MA. Send me an email if you want more details. Funny point, but I'm the husband - so no need to call me madam =)

crafterbeth: thanks for sharing the photos - that's an impressive green thumb you have! How's the upkeep in the pergola? Also, how does it look during the off season? Being in MA, I'm concerned that I'd have brown vines for a significant portion of the year if I went with something on the pergola. What do you think?

kellykath: The runner is a Kazak carpet. It matches the 11x14 carpet in the family room. We bought both at a Bloomingdale's carpet sale in Chestnut Hill, MA. However, they are reasonably common (just ask for Kazak) and reasonably priced (for a persian...)

• xtephanie
    13 years ago

your kitchen is so beautiful!!!!!!!
    congratulations! it must be such a pleasure to work in it!
    I was wondering what color white paint you used? We also have marble backsplash and counters, but I feel like bright whites make the marble look dull, and dull whites are just kind of dull themselves. You seem to have been able to use a bright white but still have the marble glow.
    Thanks!

• gwynnie8
    13 years ago

Just incredibly stunning. Congratulations and best wishes for many wonderful years in this beautiful space. I'm still in a quandry on selection of countertop material for our new kitchen and you have one of each of my "top" choices. Egad. Again, I just LOVE what you've done.

Magnificent!

• sallybeth
    13 years ago

AMAZING!!! not sure what more to say!

Do you love your Sub Zeros? Pretty sure we're doing the 736tci. I'd love to hear first hand and not from a salesperson :)

• mbw1
    13 years ago

crafterbeth: thanks for sharing the photos - that's an impressive green thumb you have! How's the upkeep in the pergola? Also, how does it look during the off season? Being in MA, I'm concerned that I'd have brown vines for a significant portion of the year if I went with something on the pergola. What do you think?

fletcher........I am 8 hours north of you so pretty much the same climate, although a little colder and our spring comes much later than yours........I actually love the grapvine during the off season...it has such a wonderful quality in it's starkness when it is bare and everything else in the garden is covered with snow and reminds me of how beautiful it will be come summer.

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fudgie: The paint color on the cabinets is Ben Moore Ivory White. The paint itself isn't Ben Moore (it's a pre-cat Lacquer that the cabinet maker sprayed on) but we match that color. It is the trim color we use around the house. There was some concern during planning that it would be to yellow - turns out we think it's perfect.

sallybeth: We are really enjoying the Sub-zeros. Some people prefer the racks and look of the european fridges (i.e. Miele) but these suit us well. We went with the door and drawer options over the single column as we think it's easier to just open a drawer when you need it - plus you can open the large door with children around and not have them immediately crawl into the fridge (an issue around our house...) The wine cooler had a rattle after it was first installed, I called the "white glove" service group and they came out the next day. While it really only needed a quick spot weld to secure a coolant line that was vibrating, they replaced the entire compressor assembly - pretty impressive. The same service folks are coming out to ensure our ovens and grill / griddle are well calibrated (seems like the ovens are a little lower than the set temp and the grill is a little uneven.) Nit picky stuff, but they haven't raised an eyebrow at my requests. Next day appointments too. Impressive stuff!

Crafterbeth: Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking forward to diving into the backyard once the thaw comes!

I still owe all of you final (with backsplash) photos. Still looking for a time to get the kitchen clean and empty for some shots. I haven't forgotten!

• Adrienne Gray
    13 years ago

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!! I had to look hard at your hardware becuase I'm about to go put my 8inch polished nickel pulls up to my cabinets to see. I'm so glad this rolled up to the top today!

You must be so incredibly proud. The scale is grand, yet comfortable... such a gorgeous and warm place for your family to gather!!

• emmertae
    13 years ago

GORGEOUS kitchen!! I love your pantry design (how it is coupled with your fridge). Do you happen to have a picture of the layout of the inside of your pantry that you'd be willing to share? I'd love to do something similar in our kitchen. Thank you for such inspiring photographs!! :)

• chris11895
    13 years ago

WOW! What a gorgeous kitchen! I'm also in Mass, so if you have a party post the details here because I want to come see it in person! ;-)

• renorman
    12 years ago

Love love love your kitchen. I hope you are enjoying it. Would you mind posting a picture of your finished backsplash? Does it have any sparkle when the hood lights are on? We are considering this tile for our backsplash and found that some of them go flat under the lights. Thanks so much.

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'ts been a long time since I last updated this thread... but our architect recently had a photographer come in and conduct a full day photo shoot. I thought I would share the photos, since they detail the finished product (including the backsplash missing from previous shots!)

Let me know what you think or if anyone has any questions.

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those of you with unanswered questions in this thread, let me know if you are still interested in the answer. Apologies for not replying sooner.

I will answer one question now since there seems to be some interest in the back splash in particular:
    The back splash does sparkle in the evening when lit by the hood lights. The glass tiles have an iridescent coloring that shows up under the lights - makes for an excellent focal point. However, I will caution that while the glass tiles are pretty low maintenance, they are sharp so you need to be careful when cleaning. Also, the grout darkened at the bottom near to range after a full day of canning - haven't gotten around to fixing but I suspect it won't be a problem.